Willie Smith Vlog: Bus takes out fellow rider

Vetplant

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so I scratched around and found the important bit.

3. (1) A cyclist riding on a public road must—

(a) if the road has a pedal cycle lane, ride only in the pedal cycle lane and may not ride on any other portion of a public road except when crossing the road; or

(b) if there is no pedal cycle lane, ride—

(i) to the left of the left edge of the roadway; or

(ii) on the roadway, keeping as close as practicable to the left edge of the roadway.

Regarding the legality of cycling to the left of the yellow line it is actually allowed and in fact recommended according to the road traffic act.

We discussed this at some length a few years ago on the hub. I can't search for the posts now on my phone but I will link to them later but the important thing in the act which changes what was posted previously in this thread about where a vehicle can and can't drive is a section pertaining specifically to bicycles only.

Also, remember that you only find emergency lanes on freeways on which you are not allowed to cycle anyway.

Please find and post that....I have read the act can not find it anywhere

(a) if the road has a pedal cycle lane, ride only in the pedal cycle lane and may not ride on any other portion of a public road except when crossing the road; or

(ii) on the roadway, keeping as close as practicable to the left edge of the roadway.

That is a Western Cape Bylaw only not in the road traffic act. Just like the 1M passing is ONLY in the Westerrn Cape and the fact that traffic officer can confiscate your phone.

That is a Western Cape Bylaw only not in the road traffic act. Just like the 1M passing is ONLY in the Westerrn Cape and the fact that traffic officer can confiscate your phone.

You are quite correct, my memory has let me down. Those regulations do apply to the western cape and not the whole country.

The differentiation though must also be highlighted that the area left of the yellow line on roads that one is allowed to ride a bicycle is not an emergency lane and therefore on is allowed to cycle there to allow other road users to overtake.

Also, remember that you only find emergency lanes on freeways on which you are not allowed to cycle anyway.

Really? You only find emergency lanes on freeways? If you have a drivers licence, then no wonder the rate of compliance is so low in SA.

And please, lets not start the whole N road / freeway discussion again. By the way, our local R road is dual carriage way with an emergency lane, and that is no freeway either, just like 99% of the N1 and N2.

Edited by LoveMyRide

Do you really believe what you are advocating here?

Each to their own, but when I am bombing down Hels Hoogte, Du Toits Kloof, Franchhoek Pass etc. at 65 to 90kph I do take my place on the road. In fact anywhere that I am close to the speed limit, or riding through road works I do this. It is my right and it is the safest place to be at speed. 

Edited by TDFN

That is where I see the difference...

- Did their action (by riding more to the right) contribute to the bus driver not adhering to the rules of safe passing - in this case no

- Did their action (by riding more to the right) impact on the likelihood of being hit - in this case yes

So no they not being blamed for the bus drivers breaking of the rules, but did their actions place them in harms way, yes.  This is what most of the conversation is about for me for us all to reflect on what the risk factors are out there and maybe have a relook our own tolerance for taking that that risk.

Some will decide they willing to take the risk, and some will decide to change their routine.  

The problem is in being in no man's land regarding safety. You either need to be totally left of everything, or you need to be in the way.

If you age sort of on or over or in the yellow, you will be seen as not being there. so either you are in the way or not. The safest place is TO BE SEEN!

Note point 3 (b)i and ii. Please note that the yellow line designates the left edge of the roadway. To thew left of the yellow line is the hard shoulder, or something like that. You are not allowed to drive/ride on the left of the yellow line barring a few caveats.  

Note point 3 (b)i and ii. Please note that the yellow line designates the left edge of the roadway. To thew left of the yellow line is the hard shoulder, or something like that. You are not allowed to drive/ride on the left of the yellow line barring a few caveats.  

if only motorists knew this...

We cycle to the let of the yellow line because we value our lives... not because we don't belong on the road...