XX1 vs XO1 what are you really paying for?

Me rida my bicycle

So I have heard people say when it comes to the crankset the XO it better for trail and XX better for the racing snakes...

I think the only difference is the name..

If I am wrong please let me know.

This is by no means a vent just a interesting observation.

The cranks look the same, both sides weight the same.

Even on the other parts cassette's are the same weight not sure about the derailleurs and shifters but they look the same can only guess they will be the same as well.

Now look at the price that's not even near the same.

I upgraded to xx1 because of a great deal and it looks nice but, is there some technical difference I don't know about?

post-80000-0-47760600-1578157823_thumb.jpg

post-80000-0-97484000-1578157876_thumb.jpg

• X01: Upgrades to carbon fiber arms and CNC machined alloy chainrings to save weight and increase stiffness.

XX1: Upgrades to hollow carbon fiber arms with one-piece spindle+insert, with additional machining inside spindle and on chainring to save more weight.

SRAM Eagle Group Weight Comparison  

NX Eagle GX Eagle X01 Eagle XX1 Eagle*

Crankset              698g          632g         520g        493g

Rear Derailleur    340g          290g        276g         265g  

Cassette              612g           448g        354g        360g  

Trigger Shifter    111g           122g         124g        124g

Chain                   271g           262g        260g        260g        

TOTAL                2032g         1,754g      1,534g     1,502g

Edited by Eddy Gordo

• X01: Upgrades to carbon fiber arms and CNC machined alloy chainrings to save weight and increase stiffness.
  • XX1: Upgrades to hollow carbon fiber arms with one-piece spindle+insert, with additional machining inside spindle and on chainring to save more weight.
yes that is what they say and it might be on the latest stuff but it's clearly not the case here. The XO was a total of 9g lighter, which is nothing but it's supposed to be 20+g heavier.

SRAM Eagle Group Weight Comparison  

NX Eagle GX Eagle X01 Eagle XX1 Eagle*

Crankset              698g          632g         520g        493g

Rear Derailleur    340g          290g        276g         265g  

Cassette              612g           448g        354g        360g  

Trigger Shifter    111g           122g         124g        124g

Chain                   271g           262g        260g        260g        

TOTAL                2032g         1,754g      1,534g     1,502g

so the derailleur and crank you save some weight(in the latest models), but the XO cassette is lighter (probably the weight of all that gold on the xx????) the shifter just different decals.

Now look at the price difference of the shifters xx1 is way more than xo1 and the cassette the same in eagle the cassette price is over R1000 more.

So lightweight group you want xx crank, xx derailleur, XO shifter, XO cassette, XO chain. Not only will it be lighter you can save quite a bit of money. ????

I would go xx crank, xo or xx derailleur and nx shifter. Casstte and chain is depatable as there are many options to choose from.

I often wonder how much faster people ride per R10k spent- my guess is close to 0 gain.

This is the same as the age old question in motor sport... Your first few R10k (in cycling, you don't get much for that in racing...) will make you significantly faster, i.e. upgrading from a R10k to a say R50k bike makes a noticeable difference in overall pace and enjoyment.

But let me get straight to what irks most ninjas... why does it bother people? A big house doesn't make you more dry when it rains, but it is still quite lekker, and a fancy car also doesn't get you to work faster... but, ... well you get the point.

I am too old, fat and unfit to win TdF, but I still like nice stuff, and if I don't spend my money, then SARS or my teenage kids will... so if I have the money, I can fit 16V parts to my bike and enjoy it.

Budget conscious people (as opposed to those on a genuine budget!) always tell me that papsak wine is the same as a higher priced quality wine... just because it's 75 cl and 14%...

This is the same as the age old question in motor sport... Your first few R10k (in cycling, you don't get much for that in racing...) will make you significantly faster, i.e. upgrading from a R10k to a say R50k bike makes a noticeable difference in overall pace and enjoyment.

But let me get straight to what irks most ninjas... why does it bother people? A big house doesn't make you more dry when it rains, but it is still quite lekker, and a fancy car also doesn't get you to work faster... but, ... well you get the point.

I am too old, fat and unfit to win TdF, but I still like nice stuff, and if I don't spend my money, then SARS or my teenage kids will... so if I have the money, I can fit 16V parts to my bike and enjoy it.

Budget conscious people (as opposed to those on a genuine budget!) always tell me that papsak wine is the same as a higher priced quality wine... just because it's 75 cl and 14%...

Nail on the head. Sometimes the only justification you need is that it's nice, and you want it and can afford it. Simple as that.

XX1 chain is a lot harder wearing than the XO1 chain so that's a justified upgrade.

XX1 cassette will also last longer due to the harder coating but XO1 lasts long enough

Totally agree as said only reason I fitted it is because it looks nice.

I am no racing snake but I love descending and its always nice to hear, "no no the guy in the green needs to go in front"???? makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside ????

I just found it interesting in the tiny weight difference and the massive price difference between the two. ????