Durbanville Club Road Etiquette

Quagga

Must say.

I have never ever in my life seen a group of 5+ guys riding 20km + obeying the rules 100%.

Have anyone ever seen this?

@Quagga

Do you have a group that i can join ON THE ROAD that obey the rules 100% ?

Well at least you confirming that some woman only group do obey the law 100% of the time... 

Edited by LeoKnight

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Must say.

I have never ever in my life seen a group of 5+ guys riding 20km + obeying the rules 100%.

Have anyone ever seen this?

@Quagga

Do you have a group that i can join ON THE ROAD that obey the rules 100% ?

Sure if we ride on the road, about 3 times a year we obey the rules. If you dont you will be asked to leave us. (and I have done that in the past)

Sure if we ride on the road, about 3 times a year we obey the rules. If you dont you will be asked to leave us. (and I have done that in the past)

So you only ride on the road 3 times per year?

And size of your group?

What im trying to say is that there is a reason why i have never seen it.

Because realistically its basically impossible to do it and enjoy your road cycling.

And size of your group?

Because realistically its basically impossible to do it and enjoy your road cycling.

Just because you have never seen a big group behave does not mean we have to accept that behavior.

BTW the Outriders were very good when it came to adhering to road rules.

And size of your group?

slippery slope if enjoyment trumps being legal, because where is the line then which rules you can bend / break.

Do realise I am just stirring, but ultimately it comes down to it we all do things that might not be 100% legal, but trying to defend it as if it is ok does not really hold water for me. Because then you come across as an hypocrite (ie do as I say, not as I do). 

And yes it the person that shines the light on your action might also have done the same in the past, does that invalidate the fact that you acted wrong?  suggesiton is that rather admit fault and that you accept the risks and if there is any suggestions (ie if you are a large group, stopping at a robot will always cause a bit of chaos)  

Just because you have never seen a big group behave does not mean we have to accept that behavior.

BTW the Outriders were very good when it came to adhering to road rules.

You do realise when you going uphill, where there is no yellow line... people will overtake each other?

Does riding side by side ?

I agree 100% with you we should abey the rules 100%.

So please provide me with a solution for the above scenario?

How would your group go about overcoming this?

I know the outriders , would you like me to go get some pics of them doing "stupid" stuff?

Any group bigger than 5 ppl, will find it difficult to obey the rules 100%

You do realise when you going uphill, where there is no yellow line... people will overtake each other?

Does riding side by side ?

I agree 100% with you we should abey the rules 100%.

So please provide me with a solution for the above scenario?

How would your group go about overcoming this?

I know the outriders , would you like me to go get some pics of them doing "stupid" stuff?

Any group bigger than 5 ppl, will find it difficult to obey the rules 100%

How would you overcome what this club is doing to in the pictures then.

So you saying if we can not adhere to the rules 100% of the time lets not adhere to them at all?

slippery slope if enjoyment trumps being legal, because where is the line then which rules you can bend / break.

Do realise I am just stirring, but ultimately it comes down to it we all do things that might not be 100% legal, but trying to defend it as if it is ok does not really hold water for me. Because then you come across as an hypocrite (ie do as I say, not as I do). 

And yes it the person that shines the light on your action might also have done the same in the past, does that invalidate the fact that you acted wrong?  suggesiton is that rather admit fault and that you accept the risks and if there is any suggestions (ie if you are a large group, stopping at a robot will always cause a bit of chaos)  

Its clearly evident we do not have the correct facilities/rules to accommodate road cycling.

and yes, its absolutely no excuse not to obey these rules.

But as you rightfully stated, we dealing with a lot of do as i say and not as i do, as its impossible to actually do , "what they say" as a " Road Cyclist spending 1500km per month on the road.

Edited by Stricker

How would you overcome what this club is doing to in the pictures then.

So you saying if we can not adhere to the rules 100% of the time lets not adhere to them at all?

i am in no way in agreement with what the club had done and never said i am.

What i am saying is that i would like you to assist all this group rides out there by telling us how do you obey the rules 100%.

We need to learn from people like you or your group, as we all can improve our group riding etiquette and based on the answers received above from your group...you guys have it all figured out.

i am in no way in agreement with what the club had done and never said i am.

What i am saying is that i would like you to assist all this group rides out there by telling us how do you obey the rules 100%.

We need to learn from people like you or your group, as we all can improve our group riding etiquette and based on the answers received above from your group...you guys have it all figured out.

Ok I will bite

When you are going uphill and another is overtaking, you are not breaking the road rule as it makes provision for that action.

I do not believe there is any reason for anyone to ride on the other side of the road taking pictures of a group. So that one is covered, since the road rules clearly state that NO road user can touch their phone while on the road.

Blocking a whole lane of traffic, eish I don't need to stipulate what one can do there hey?

Skipping a red light because half the group made over, again why?

I am sure that I am not the only one who will happily give groups some ideas on what to do so if you have more scenarios please post and let see what we can do. 

Yip, and it is legal to be side-by-side whilst overtaking.

Sticker removed, decided it is just not worth anymore of my energy.

Edited by Wannabe

Ok I will bite

When you are going uphill and another is overtaking, you are not breaking the road rule as it makes provision for that action.

I do not believe there is any reason for anyone to ride on the other side of the road taking pictures of a group. So that one is covered, since the road rules clearly state that NO road user can touch their phone while on the road.

Blocking a whole lane of traffic, eish I don't need to stipulate what one can do there hey?

Skipping a red light because half the group made over, again why?

I am sure that I am not the only one who will happily give groups some ideas on what to do so if you have more scenarios please post and let see what we can do. 

So overtaking is fine.

So how long do you give yourself to overtake the guy?

Cause when guys are very tired towards the top of a hill ..overtake can take up to 10sec+, just wana make sure i have all the bases covered.

But that being said, one of your biggest claims are to prevent frustrating vehicle drivers, but this action above wont help that cause?

Imagine you have 20 riders and 10 decide to overtake the other 10 at the same time?

I mean, its legal so its fine to do so, now lets say each spend 10sec overtaking , that would equate to +-2min of side by side riding ?

Motorist will be furious , that is one thing i can guarantee you 

Edited by Stricker

So overtaking is fine.

Cause when guys are very tired towards the top of a hill ..overtake can take up to 10sec+, just wana make sure i have all the bases covered.

But that being said, one of your biggest claims are to prevent frustrating vehicle drivers, but this action above wont help that cause?

Imagine you have 20 riders and 10 decide to overtake the other 10 at the same time?

I mean, its legal so its fine to do so, now lets say each spend 10sec overtaking , that would equate to +-2min of side by side riding ?

Or if the right hand side keep on overtaking, but as they get to the front they are now tired and have to go left and fall back, rinse and repeat, also known as a double pace line. Is this still legal as it is technically people passing the whole time? 

So overtaking is fine.

This is where common sense should prevail. 

If people don't have that then maybe they should not cycle. 

As a cyclist and motorist you KNOW what is going to irritate the motorist so why do it then