Durbanville Club Road Etiquette

Quagga

I did, read my 1st or 2nd post.

You dont like me hence I take you opinion with a pinch of salt.

I have absolutely nothing against you personally, my opinion is only that the way you approached this did more damage than good, 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coenie, it is not what you did when you approached the "club", it is how you did it.

We concede, you are the perfect cyclist. 100% within the law, 100% of the time.

On behalf of the rest of us not so perfect cyclists, I apologise profusely for our bad behavior on the road, the same behavior that leads to motorists hating all cyclist and them then endangering your life. 

the bold bit gets thrown around all the time.

so no one can call out someone else unless they are 100% perfect 100% of the time ?

BS. that will mean nobody EVER in the history of riding a bicycle is allowed to call out anyone.

why dont we just have some courtesy to other road users and stop being chocolate starfishes.

It doenst matter if what you did was technically legal or not, what matters is if its safe to do and how it has/could have affected other road users.

the sooner every road user could start thinking like this, the sooner we will have less road rage and deaths on teh road.

I have spoken to a few and came to the exact opposite conclusion.

They told me why dont you cyclist just ride over the red robots and stop irritating the crap out of me

Perhaps you had a negative reaction because you spoke to them in the same obtuse, arrogant, supercilious manner as you are conducting yourself in this thread.

You will find that when you stop acting like a jerk, people will listen to you and maybe even be convinced.

I have spoken to a few and came to the exact opposite conclusion.

They told me why dont you cyclist just ride over the red robots and stop irritating the crap out of me as you struggle to clip in swerving all over the place , then when you eventually get going it takes you forever to cross the intersection and only after that i normally get a gap to safely overtake you.

You ride 3-4km at the same speed as a vehicle... impressive

if you need help learning how to get in and out of your cleats at traffic lights, or better yet would like to learn to track stand and take off at pace that out paces cars for a fair distance then stop me a pm and I would be happy to assist.

There is no petty "cyclist this" and "driver that" arguments to be had. Both are people operated vehicles.... The solution is for society to understand this very simple fact.... And if you are going to be a chop, you will be a chop no matter the vehicle you are piloting at that particular moment in time.

if you need help learning how to get in and out of your cleats at traffic lights, or better yet would like to learn to track stand and take off at pace that out paces cars for a fair distance then stop me a pm and I would be happy to assist.

There is no petty "cyclist this" and "driver that" arguments to be had. Both are people operated vehicles.... The solution is for society to understand this very simple fact.... And if you are going to be a chop, you will be a chop no matter the vehicle you are piloting at that particular moment in time.

Yep. I have often kept pace with cars and taxis during traffic. It's not difficult, and doesn't require going through the stops or reds. And I'm not fast. Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Yep. I have often kept pace with cars and taxis during traffic. It's not difficult, and doesn't require going through the stops or reds. And I'm not fast.

You Fastbastard you :P

can't tell anything about the said "club", but last time I rode your side (wellington road) there was a group of about 100 mtbs (???) riding sometimes 3 next to each other, forcing me to go on the road to overtake them, which took a while as they were so many. In the meantime every car around was obviously hooting at me (like I'm not allowed to overtake like any other vehicule on the road).

I've always hated cyclists for that specific reason, now that I am also a cyclist, I hate it even more when I have to ride on the right side of the yellow line because some a*oles own the road and won't do the right thing and ride behind one another to allow faster riders to safely pass

Also, what it is with durbanville people, 90% of the cyclists ride fancy MTB's on the road ?  :whistling:  :whistling:  I do sometimes connect trails using a little stretch of road, but that last ride I did I was in the middle of nowhere and almost all the other cyclists I've seen where on MTBs, don't think there were nice trails anywhere close   :ph34r:  :ph34r:

To come back to the initial subject, only "giant shop" I know is the cyclery, and I'm 100% happy with their service, had a dropper seatpost fitted there one, then a major service done to my racebike. My front derailer broke during the service, they lent me a spare front derailer so that I could race the stellies tour (or not :D) while they waited for the replacement to be shipped from campagnolo. That's proper service

When I learned to drive it was incumbent on the passing motorist to make sure that it was safe to overtake (whether cyclist, moped or donkey). This is still the law. The cyclists may have made it difficult/impossible/dangerous for you to overtake, but in that case you need to not overtake until it is safe to do so. There's nothing they did to make you do anything dangerous.

They may still be @-holes. but you are the one doing the overtaking.

When I learned to drive it was incumbent on the passing motorist to make sure that it was safe to overtake (whether cyclist, moped or donkey). This is still the law. The cyclists may have made it difficult/impossible/dangerous for you to overtake, but in that case you need to not overtake until it is safe to do so. There's nothing they did to make you do anything dangerous.

They may still be @-holes. but you are the one doing the overtaking.

is there also not something in the rules about not being allowed to ride in convoy over weekends. If so then that could then technically be applied to a group of cyclists on the road?

is there also not something in the rules about not being allowed to ride in convoy over weekends. If so then that could then technically be applied to a group of cyclists on the road?

I'd need better advice on that, and over the next few weeks pre-CTCT I'm sure the cyclists will often be the ones who are out of line.

However - there's still nothing that justifies any driver overtaking into oncoming traffic - the poster above is admitting reckless driving on a public platform. It's just wrong to claim that this was the cyclists fault.