Durbanville Club Road Etiquette

Quagga

Or if the right hand side keep on overtaking, but as they get to the front they are now tired and have to go left and fall back, rinse and repeat, also known as a double pace line. Is this still legal as it is technically people passing the whole time? 

This should be fine? as long as we dont call it double pace line and chain gang, just stick to continues overtaking.

The problem i see however, is when we start going down hill on the other side, if memory serves me correct... continues overtaking can become extreme pacey .. that will lead into the next problem.

Which is exceeding the speed limit?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO if you are starting to create scenarios in your mind where you are arguing a technicality, you are starting down a slippery slope.

Basically, don't be an inconsiderate masturbator. 

I get really annoyed when people who are clearly being a box say 'technically it's not illegal'..... Yeah, cool story.

Code words for 'I know I was being a doorknob but I will never admit it'.... 

This is where common sense should prevail. 

If people don't have that then maybe they should not cycle. 

As a cyclist and motorist you KNOW what is going to irritate the motorist so why do it then

I can assure you, nothing you do and dont do on a bike will change the mind of a cyclist hating motorist.... absolutely nothing.

Common sense should tell you that, but you might just be required to spend more then 3 times per year on the road.

Yes yes no group dynamics and coffee stops...

Me I don’t get why people have to ride and take selfies... it’s always groups as well hardly ever solo riders

Yes by all means stop and take pictures of the scenery, your bike or your cappuccino.... but really selfies ??????

Reminds me of the song

It's those lekker selfies that got that other nice thread banned.

I sure do miss it!!!!

I cycle, and I hate most cyclists as well as other road users, because they are selfish road users. I am a cyclists and a motorists. I hate other road cyclists the most when I am on my road bike!!! for the same reasons as to why this thread exists and others. Clubs should grow a pair and take some serious action, also why I dont belong to or cycle with a club. I cant take the blatant disregard for road rules, which is why I go out alone alot, or with 5 or  6 friends very early on a sunday.

I dont get why people have to behave in this manner, but I have concluded my thoughts with, they must think they are tanks cause when a vehicle collides with them, it will be over.

The personal attack and lawsuit threats are pathetic. Images on facebook are not copyrighted. You can right click, copy and paste. There are other websites where you cannot do this!!

I cycle, and I hate most cyclists as well as other road users, because they are selfish road users. I am a cyclists and a motorists. I hate other road cyclists the most when I am on my road bike!!! for the same reasons as to why this thread exists and others. Clubs should grow a pair and take some serious action, also why I dont belong to or cycle with a club. I cant take the blatant disregard for road rules, which is why I go out alone alot, or with 5 or  6 friends very early on a sunday.

I dont get why people have to behave in this manner, but I have concluded my thoughts with, they must think they are tanks cause when a vehicle collides with them, it will be over.

The personal attack and lawsuit threats are pathetic. Images on facebook are not copyrighted. You can right click, copy and paste. There are other websites where you cannot do this!!

Lots of hate.

Cant be good for the heart.

Can assure you once you move over to the LOVE side of things, everything becomes better.

Edited by Stricker

I can assure you, nothing you do and dont do on a bike will change the mind of a cyclist hating motorist.... absolutely nothing.

Common sense should tell you that, but you might just be required to spend more then 3 times per year on the road.

I commute 4 times a week but I dont see it as road riding as I a on my MTB .

Disagree with your 1st statement, I have spoken to a few motorists and asked them nicely to not see a cyclist but a Farther or Mother etc. And I have had more than one go, hmm you have point did not see it that way.

I believe they thought it that way  because I did not nothing wrong in the 3-4 Km that I rode with them in traffic. So they could not say "But you skipped that light etc etc"

Disagree with your 1st statement, I have spoken to a few motorists and asked them nicely to not see a cyclist but a Farther or Mother etc. And I have had more than one go, hmm you have point did not see it that way.

I believe they thought it that way  because I did not nothing wrong in the 3-4 Km that I rode with them in traffic. So they could not say "But you skipped that light etc etc"

I have spoken to a few and came to the exact opposite conclusion.

They told me why dont you cyclist just ride over the red robots and stop irritating the crap out of me as you  struggle to clip in swerving all over the place , then when you eventually get going it takes you forever to cross the intersection and only after that i normally get a gap to safely overtake you.

You ride 3-4km at the same speed as a vehicle... impressive 

Edited by Stricker

As far as asking them nicely ...... clearly you have mistaken cyclist hating drivers for just uneducated ones.

But good on you, keep on spreading the good news  :thumbup:

IMHO if you are starting to create scenarios in your mind where you are arguing a technicality, you are starting down a slippery slope.

I get really annoyed when people who are clearly being a box say 'technically it's not illegal'..... Yeah, cool story.

I am a firm believer of rather being alive than correct these days, was not always my viewpoint. So I ride to be as safe as possible for me and the others around me. So some of the laws around bicycles are a bit silly, and I obey them selectively to rather keep safe than legal necessarily.

I have spoken to a few and came to the exact opposite conclusion.

They told me why dont you cyclist just ride over the red robots and stop irritating the crap out of me as you  struggle to clip in swerving all over the place , then when you eventually get going it takes you forever to cross the intersection and only after that i normally get a gap to safely overtake you.

You ride 3-4km at the same speed a vehicle... impressive 

Now you are trolling.....

easy to stay with cars in the traffic esp if there are many traffic lights

Edited by Quagga

If you observe someone breaking the law and endangering themselves & motorists then I have no problem with that being called out.

But what we have here is someone posting few random pics with no context to portray a club as lawless thugs continuously ignoring rules.

I don't agree with that, the club does good work promoting cycling in our community and providing safe opportunities for local roadies to participate in our sport. The times I have seen them on the roads they were following the rules. Coenie afaik you are also a local, if you have an issue why don't you rather engage with the club directly rather than bash them on social media? If the shop drops the club rides because of negative social media who is really benefiting?

Now you are trolling.....

easy to stay with cars in the traffic esp if there are many traffic lights

All i said was staying 3-4km with cars, while they are watching you obey the law 100% is impressive.  :thumbup:

Would however prefer them watching the road ahead instead of you, ma ok.

each to hes own.

Edited by Stricker

If you observe someone breaking the law and endangering themselves & motorists then I have no problem with that being called out.

But what we have here is someone posting few random pics with no context to portray a club as lawless thugs continuously ignoring rules.

I don't agree with that, the club does good work promoting cycling in our community and providing safe opportunities for local roadies to participate in our sport. The times I have seen them on the roads they were following the rules. Coenie afaik you are also a local, if you have an issue why don't you rather engage with the club directly rather than bash them on social media? If the shop drops the club rides because of negative social media who is really benefiting?

I did, read my 1st or 2nd post.

You dont like me hence I take you opinion with a pinch of salt.

I did, read my 1st or 2nd post.

You dont like me hence I take you opinion with a pinch of salt.

Coenie, it is not what you did when you approached the "club", it is how you did it.

We concede, you are the perfect cyclist. 100% within the law, 100% of the time.

On behalf of the rest of us not so perfect cyclists, I apologise profusely for our bad behavior on the road, the same behavior that leads to motorists hating all cyclist and them then endangering your life.