Amputee Bicycle Modifications

So I didn't have another cable splitter and bar-end shifter when I built the Alpina, and I was also curious to see if there's a better way to set up my cockpit.

I like the fact that there's no extra cost involved with this setup, and having individual brake modulation is also a plus. That being said, the rear brake is mostly mush.....

Other similar setups seem to have the bottom lever routed to the front break, and then the cables take a more direct route to their destinations. I guess this helps with the "mushiness" of the brake associated with the bottom lever.

Routing the cables like that just looks horrid though. I would almost go as far to say it's worse than having a saddle bag...

attachicon.gifINFERIOR MODS.png

In light of the above-mentioned horridness, a mushy rear brake isn't too big of a deal...

attachicon.gif20200818_173322.jpg

Please excuse my wrapping job........

Top view. I also started adding a pipe clamp to the area my hook rests on, to keep it from wandering of the handlebar..

attachicon.gif20200818_173406.jpg

I think I'm leaning more towards the cable splitter and only one lever, though it's not a big enough issue that I'll be switching the Alpina over soon.

That must take some serious co-ordination. I used to ride an alpina, I still have it in fact. It was/is a lekker frame. I'm digging the slammed, negative angle stem!!!!!!!! Aero is everything papi.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I didn't have another cable splitter and bar-end shifter when I built the Alpina, ................

I like that you are running Campy on it. I think the Campy levers have a better, less bulky shape and will likely be more ergonomic to move around and operate like you have set it up...........maybe I just like dissing "the other maker"  :ph34r:

I like that you are running Campy on it. I think the Campy levers have a better, less bulky shape and will likely be more ergonomic to move around and operate like you have set it up...........maybe I just like dissing "the other maker"  :ph34r:

I actually think this is the ONE instance where shimano has the potential to work better. The thumb lever is a little bit of a reach on the bottom ergo...

Not that I would ever do such a despicable thing to any of my road bikes as actually fit a shimano group.....

Can't beat how smooth that 20yr-old Campy is though.

I actually think this is the ONE instance where shimano has the potential to work better. The thumb lever is a little bit of a reach on the bottom ergo...

Not that I would ever do such a despicable thing to any of my road bikes as actually fit a shimano group.....

Can't beat how smooth that 20yr-old Campy is though.

20 year old ... ah, so being Campy I understand it has just been broken in around about now then!

Kalahari have you seen a product called Outbraker for disc brakes?

I have now, thanks!

I look forward to trying it out someday!

Kalahari have you seen a product called Outbraker for disc brakes?

I just google this, looks brilliant

I have now, thanks!

I look forward to trying it out someday!

Why looking forward to it someday ?

Do you not want to try it sort of soonish ?

*apologies if qstn comes through harsh*

Why looking forward to it someday ?

Do you not want to try it sort of soonish ?

*apologies if qstn comes through harsh*

Perfectly valid question haha!

My mtb setup still uses both brakes individually, so no need for extra stopping power there. I don't think I'll ever get one on a mtb either, since Hope already make the perfect solution for mountain bikes...

Both my roadies are rim brake, and I'm not planning on getting a disc roadie soon. When I get a disc road bike, I think the Outbraker might have a place.

Got the MTB sorted. Trick is to disengage the elbow mechanism and lock it manually. Then it simply became a case of mounting the LHS brake lever on the right!

I won't  be riding anything technical with this setup, but for our "kanaalpad" it works just perfect...

attachicon.gif20200316_183208.jpg

attachicon.gif20200316_183558.jpg

That is so cool.

Upside is your hand won't go numb on those NC corrugations!

Big respect for getting yourself back doing what you love, I've been in the same storm. Different boat.

I'm an Architect and Industrial Designer and if I can ever assist with designing and getting custom parts (for you or the bike) made up, give me a shout, no cost.

Cheers.

That is so cool.

Big respect for getting yourself back doing what you love, I've been in the same storm. Different boat.

I'm an Architect and Industrial Designer and if I can ever assist with designing and getting custom parts (for you or the bike) made up, give me a shout, no cost.

Cheers.

Blackheart ... in turn I can help you help him too ... also in the Arch game,

That is so cool.

Cheers.

Many thanks, appreciate it!!

Perfectly valid question haha!

My mtb setup still uses both brakes individually, so no need for extra stopping power there. I don't think I'll ever get one on a mtb either, since Hope already make the perfect solution for mountain bikes...

Both my roadies are rim brake, and I'm not planning on getting a disc roadie soon. When I get a disc road bike, I think the Outbraker might have a place.

N+1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...