Amputee Bicycle Modifications

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you decide to ride your MTB again, check this out from Hope;

https://bikerumor.com/2019/11/25/hope-tech-3-duo-lever-pulls-2-hydraulic-brakes-with-1-hand-tech-3-x2-uno-does-too/

I'm sure the longer you use everything the more adapted YOU will become, so what is difficult now becomes loose change in 12 months time.

Good luck.

I had an accident almost 20 years ago that cost me the use of my left arm for nearly 9 months. Being left handed, this was an issue. I learned to write (albeit badly), throw, pour, stir etc with my wrong hand within a few months.

I was lucky enough to gain the use of my left arm again though, after a few surgeries and a lot of frustrating rehab.. My condolences for your loss but it looks like you're moving forwards in the right frame of mind!

Upwards and onwards!

Stoke recently did a Banshee Phantom with the Hope Tech3 E4 Duo lever

https://www.instagram.com/p/B78KRhZnGe5/

Whow, what an amazing testimony. God is good all the time, yes you lost an arm, but you've grown spiritually so much and now one is able to see ALL the other blessings one has and never say thanks for.

Ps, now I understand the pvt chats we had last year and I pray that everything goes from strength to strength for you.

Cheers BSG

We're going to have to agree to disagree that this was a good thing to happen!

I totally respect people's faith can be what gives them strength, I hope they can understand that this can seem bizarre to other people. 

Kalahari, I live just down the road from you in Upington. Always welcome to get a coffee, we can go for a ride, but my cycling legs are long gone, but will be good for a few slow km`s.

In Upington there is a Prosthetist, Adriaan Marais, he is always looking to assist and keen on building solutions. I have once shown him a conversion of etap using playstation control buttons.

During racing days, there were a young guy from Kimberley, Roy, he controlled his shifting and braking from the one side.

Do you cycle the Marydale or Griekwastad road?

Stay positive and keep on cycling.

Good day been following this post we did a conversion for a client who was also an arm amputee we had a bracket made up for his brakes which works both brakes with one lever.we then made a post to fit the handle bars and fitted tt shifters to work the gears.all the parts were returned to me after he unfortunately passed on so that we can help a fellow out give me a pm and I'll arrange for the parts to be sent on if you keep.Grumpy at the cycle hub 0118678047 or 0837776201

All I can say is "Wow, what an inspiration".  Wishing you all the best.  Wrt ideas with the bike setup, I see that there is already a huge amount of information available.  In our local cycling club here we have a guy whos arm was amputated.  I gathered that he competed as a cyclist in the Beijing Paralympics.  Should you want me to get information for you let me know.  I have only met him once or twice but seems to be a nice guy to talk to and I am sure he will give me advice and tips that I can pass on to you. 

http://2018.rsc-wolfratshausen.de/verein/

Kalahari, I live just down the road from you in Upington. Always welcome to get a coffee, we can go for a ride, but my cycling legs are long gone, but will be good for a few slow km`s.

In Upington there is a Prosthetist, Adriaan Marais, he is always looking to assist and keen on building solutions. I have once shown him a conversion of etap using playstation control buttons.

During racing days, there were a young guy from Kimberley, Roy, he controlled his shifting and braking from the one side.

Do you cycle the Marydale or Griekwastad road?

Stay positive and keep on cycling.

Dagsé, dankie vir die aanbod; my fietsrybene is ook maar nie wat dit was nie, so ons is dalk ontewe daar...

Ek het gehoor van Adriaan, so dis goed om te weet dat hy met aanpassings ens sal kan help, dankie.

As ek alleen ry gaan ek gewoonlik Griekwastad toe, maar naweke saam 'n paar ander mense vat ons die Marydale pad.  

Good day been following this post we did a conversion for a client who was also an arm amputee we had a bracket made up for his brakes which works both brakes with one lever.we then made a post to fit the handle bars and fitted tt shifters to work the gears.all the parts were returned to me after he unfortunately passed on so that we can help a fellow out give me a pm and I'll arrange for the parts to be sent on if you keep.Grumpy at the cycle hub 0118678047 or 0837776201

Awesome thanks! Will shoot a WhatsApp.

Thanks for all the kind responses, I'll see you at the CTCT(maybe)!

Dagsé, dankie vir die aanbod; my fietsrybene is ook maar nie wat dit was nie, so ons is dalk ontewe daar...

Ek het gehoor van Adriaan, so dis goed om te weet dat hy met aanpassings ens sal kan help, dankie.

As ek alleen ry gaan ek gewoonlik Griekwastad toe, maar naweke saam 'n paar ander mense vat ons die Marydale pad.  

Kalahari

Aanbod is oop. Ek is fanaties oor fietse en fietsry.

Was gister by Adriaan gewees, vir my paar van sy projekte gewys, daar was `n hidroliese been!

Back in the day was daar heelwat kompitisies op Prieska en selfs die Rosyntjie/Kuierfees wat in die begin van Groblershoop na Upington was.

Dalk loop ons mekaar nog raak, die fiets winkel is my happy place.

Gerhard

Ps. sommige noem my Gerrie.

Hi Kalahari.

I know I've seen a video somewhere about someone cycling with a Paralyzed arm in this instance and I found it today. On GMBN there is a video in the tech zone, Rides MTB with a Paralyzed arm, which may give some pointers as to tech mods?

Cheers BSG

Edited by BSG

Hi Kalahari.

I know I've seen a video somewhere about someone cycling with a Paralyzed arm in this instance and I found it today. On GMBN there is a video in the tech zone, Rides MTB with a Paralyzed arm, which may give some pointers as to tech mods?

Cheers BSG

I think it might be linked in the first post, but I'll check it out, thanks!