Tygerberg MTB Club Trails

JasonS

Tygerberg MTB Club  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a member of the club?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, because most of the 150km of the trails are generally speaking, smooth as tar.
  2. 2. If you answered No to Q1: If TMTB was more open to the suggestions of it's members iro the technical nature of the trails, would you consider becoming a member?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A: I am a member
  3. 3. If you answered Yes to Q1: Would you like to see more of your membership fees spent on increasing the variety of the trail network?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A: I am not a member

Easy there, Cupcake

Your tyre pressure is way too high

Being rude to others, not cool

Debate fiercely, definitely cool

There was no debate in his statement. If there was different story. All there was was having a lol at people trying to start on improvements to something already pretty good.

So ya, na, I think I will not calm down thanks to that particular statement.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WELL said DNC.

Any decent conversation SHOULD voice both opinions.

Shouting down others says a LOT of the person posting, and very little for their cause.  If anything, his "approach" is most likely why so few hang around to actually listen to him ..... which is sad.  Such poor communication skills are hampering their cause.....

PS - play nicely on this Friday .... I am off the Stanford for to watch the Classic this weekend.  :thumbup:

If directed at my response to DNC, then I'd agree with you if he'd made any statement worthy of being called a debate in the one to which I responded.

It's okay, I can see you are passionate and respect that.

You should be voted onto the committee on the 18th.

Been a club member for years and actually have attended the odd AGM in the past. Never been very exciting, but I'm always happy to hear that the trail network is growing and technically accessible to the majority of members which is paramount.

Seen this topic being revived on countless occasions here on the hub, but at the end of the day much more seems to be said here than to the club which is proven by the poor attendance level at the AGM by club members, so obviously the vast majority of members don't see any issue here, and also proven by the huge network of fantastic XC trails on offer.

We also know that the vast majority don't ride gravity-orientated trails or even notice the colour coding of a trail.

Thats why I think this is an interesting thread.

Edit: ...or maybe I've missed something (I have read your posts).

If so, then I apologise, but the vinyl pic above sums it up...

I have no desire to be on the committee, and as said prev, I stopped being a member, partly because of this issue.

I'd happily assist members.

Also for AGM's yes, generally they suck and are more of a formality than anything else.

You say you have read my posts, then you will know clearly that I (maybe some others did or weren't as clear) am not trying to advocate for gravity oriented trails, at least not initially, as I know (for some unknown reason) this tends to scare people off.

Part of the reason not much has happened with past committees was discussed on other threads (mostly them being dismissive or ultra defensive in the past).

We need to recall the club is building trails that will likely be here for a long time. AKA, people and their children mainly in and around Durban/Bellville who have little to no choice about where they ride (esp in the week) are the ones who will suffer if the opportunity for upskilling is not presented.

In the past (prior to the club) it was a free for all. You build where you can find a piece of land and ask for forgiveness later. That stuff was janky!

Now look at the calibre of riders who learnt to ride on less manicured trails...I won't name them explicitly here, but they will outside (up and down) almost anyone.

So yes, more technical features on trails, more difficult trails that require slower speeds but better bike handling skills will go a long way to satisfying US, but also any rational club member who would like to learn to ride their bike just a bit better.

Anyway it's a bit tough to articulate all this on a forum I guess, but would be nice to see ya at the AGM. Let's hope it allows open discussions with the committee to commence.

Quick question, in Patrick's latest e-mail:

A quick beef from my side with regards to riding where one is not supposed to, ie, not on the marked trails. There are two areas that I have noted that people are riding where they shouldn't. The first is up the dirt road on lower Bloemendal, bordering on Maastricht, up to the corner with Majik Forest, where we have planted that new bench. I don't know why, people insist on climbing this road, as there is a perfect, very similar climb ON the marked route just parallel to this road.

post-128151-0-13943100-1582888075_thumb.jpg

Is he talking about the white line?

attachicon.gifScreenshot from 2020-02-28 13-06-33.jpg

White line on the Bloemendal side...part of that is no go. On the Majik side it's fair game....So maybe?

Does he not mean this one? The one that goes down the hill to those big berms?

post-10323-0-19532400-1582888536_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thermophage

attachicon.gifScreenshot from 2020-02-28 13-06-33.jpg

I think it is the one where you used to go down if you were too scared too do the CX route (i.e. I went down there). Now there is a smoother single track going down right next to the old jeep track. The worry is probably that people will still go down the old way at high speed and hit the people coming up?

I don't think so - Maastricht is the farm to the left of your picture, so my guess is the big dirtroad on the left running into your white line

okay, (1) I'm glad it's not just me  :ph34r:  and (2) if you're right then I'm okay  :w00t:

While we're at it:

The other road, is that very rocky one along the border of Hillcrest and Bloemendal, between the middle and upper gates.

Is this:?

post-128151-0-60794400-1582889193_thumb.jpg

Edited by aquaratza

IF they're blacck lines .... they're not really black

BRO! Make the lines Mauve or something... Okes are busy trying to snort their computer screens at this rate!

So I've been avoiding the hub for the past month as I found it too depressing since currently being unable to ride my bike. To advocate that a trail doesn't have to be tech or graded black for people to hurt themselves, at the end of Jan I was climbing hillcrest red, was in the wrong gear, stalled, wanted to unclip and put my foot down before I fell over and well... pics below will tell the rest.

But more to the point, I fully support that it would be nice to have a little more variety on the network.

What we have is great and as has been said multiple times by the club and people hear - caters to the majority of members. Patrick has done a fantastic job building the trails, and personally, they probably peak at the the limit of my ability so I don't see myself doing anything more tech. But there are people that want to, there are youngsters coming up that will need to keep developing, so it would be nice if some of that was offered on our doorstep.

And I also think people are sometimes to quick to jump at thermophage without actually reading his posts and then getting surprised by his response. Prime example, he posted about how committee members were approached to broach the subject and the feeling was that it should be brought up at the AGM, and then someone jumps in with it shouldn't be raised at the AGM and he should instead try approach the committee.

And now those pics. Also big shout out to the team at Hillcrest who helped get me down to the ambulance and looked after my bicycle.

post-132504-0-77672600-1582890991_thumb.jpeg

post-132504-0-46002900-1582890999_thumb.jpeg

post-132504-0-25463300-1582891011_thumb.jpeg

post-132504-0-27179500-1582891017_thumb.jpeg

post-132504-0-26611600-1582891024_thumb.jpeg