Opinions on body/ fat shaming

Eddy Gordo

I've always been a fatist

That is someone who is discriminatory against overweight/obese people.

I prejudge people who are overweight and treat them differently, almost because I think subconciously they have made some bad choices to put themselves where they are. i know that's not always the case and am getting much better at not judging a book by it's cover as I grow older and wiser.

I feel the same about smokers too, but not sure if that will go away!

i feel like that about the self-righteous.

My laaitie has a chronic condition and need to take medicine that increases his appetite and he is hungry the WHOLE time... don't parent shame when you do not have all the information.

Im not blanket parent shaming, medical conditions are always the outlying exception to obesity.

The reality though is that the numbers of people with medical conditions related to weight gain are very small.

If I look at people I know with overweight kids then its normally people who eat badly and have kids that sit around playing games all day.

I should have been more specific about my post and mentioned that medical conditions are excluded from my statement.

Growing up as a kid, I was pretty fat. I blame my father. I was like a trophy for him because it was his way of showing the world that he could afford to give me lots of food. He really did. He boasted at every opportunity that he was feeding me well.

Then again, if you look at his upbringing, you might understand why. His father died from lung complications (was a victim of mustard gas in WW1) on the same day my father was born. They grew up very poor and his mother couldn't afford to feed the family properly.

So I guess by the time I came along, he didn't want me to suffer the same fate.

I cannot actually recall being bullied or teased for being fat, other than the odd snide comment. 

My neighbors son is morbidly obese, its really bad. 

I know for a fact he has never done any exercise and spends all of his time playing PUBG.

Its sad to see how his confidence has gone down as his weight has climbed.

I guess its a different world to the one I knew growing up, we were all outdoors whenever possible and it was very unusual to have overweight kids. Maybe its more normal now and therefore less reason for kids to pick on?

I dont have any kids so I dont know what goes on in school other than conversations with siblings that have kids.

My neighbors son is morbidly obese, its really bad. 

I know for a fact he has never done any exercise and spends all of his time playing PUBG.

Its sad to see how his confidence has gone down as his weight has climbed.

I guess its a different world to the one I knew growing up, we were all outdoors whenever possible and it was very unusual to have overweight kids. Maybe its more normal now and therefore less reason for kids to pick on?

I dont have any kids so I dont know what goes on in school other than conversations with siblings that have kids.

for some its a vicious circle rather than a linear thing. So its not a case of eat, get fat, lose confidence. its more a case of lose confidence due to some other issue, eat as a coping mech, get fat, lose more confidence, eat more, get fatter and so on...

Meh - it's all about social norms.

Nobody bats an eyelid when people call cyclists lean, skinny or emaciated. Everybody has an opinion when people call overweight people fat.

Same with bald men, overly muscled gym bunnies, old men in expensive cars and a host of other socially accepted "body shaming".

The current social norm is to call out fat shamers, gender shamers and race shamers.

• 1 year later...

A friend of mine was obese. All his life he was obese. Since the 4th grade, he was at least 2-3 times heavier than all his peers. Then he found on the Internet a way to cope with the irresistible urge to eat something. They were appetite suppressants. I don't recommend suppressing your appetite with phenq, but if you have trouble not eating, then consult your doctor, maybe it will help you. I never knew his exact total weight, but believe me, looking at a kid like that, it's scary for his life. So he and I have been friends since 5th grade and we still keep in touch. And you know, all through school I defended him from bullies and always explained what my mother explained to me. I told him that kids were violent because at that point they hadn't yet learned how to control primitive feelings like fear and dominance and things like that. I think I contributed to him losing weight 12 years later. Now, if you compare him in 2021 to 2008-2009, he's at least half the size he used to be.
I've never judged people who are overweight, but subconsciously I have an opinion about such people that they are not strong enough in spirit and such a person can lose in the long run. But this is not always the case, I assure you.

Edited by Kventin Avagaro