Gravel Bike Gearing

T_Boss

So I am a mountain biker at heart, but the idea of gravel bikes for commenting and country roads riding is starting to make more and more sense. I would never replace a mountain bike with a gravel bike, but I think it’s a nice in between option as an extra bike.

If we manage to recover from the financial disaster that has been caused by the outbreak, I would consider adding one to the stable.

I have a question about gearing. Most gravel bikes seem to come out running MTB type group sets, (SLX or XT), and gearing the same as a mountain bike. Why is this? The biggest issue I have with using the mountain bike for reasonable easy backroads riding and tar, is that the gearing offered by modern mountain bike groupsets, even with a 34t chainring and 10t cassette, is inadequate and sees you spinning out on flat fast sections.

The kind of riding I would do on a gravel bike would also never need the low end gearing offered by a 50t rear.

So my question is, is roadbike gearing not more suited to gravel bikes?

My other option instead of buying a “gravel” bike would be to build up my dads old Marin Ti mtb frame, as a gravel bike, and then I would have more suitable gearing anyway, but I will be limited on fork options.......

I went through a similar process, in particular because the diameter of your 700C gravel wheelset will be smaller than your 29er choices (so if you fit the same chainrings/cluster you'll actually end up with smaller gears on your gravel machine).

My current arrangement is a 50/36 up front with an 11/29 on the rear, which works just fine for me riding in Gauteng. If you were going to ride gravel in a more mountainous area you might go for something smaller.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question here and looking at all the comments.

have 42 front 11-42 back.

find in the hilly bits the 42 : 42 is a bit of a killer especially on the long climbs.

I am playing with the idea of a 34 in front???

Momsen 500 gp

ANd before i get lambasted. i am talking long climbs breedts, sterkies some mini munga rides etc.

top end is wearing thin and enjoy the cruise. due to lockdown weight gain and still recovering from Munga

Not sure about your budget but I did this on a previous gravel bike

10/50 11 speed cassette from garbaruk with a rear cage replacement also from them - then a 40 up front - I’m 95kgs and nothing I couldn’t climb with that - quality long lasting components (think XX1) added bonus is awesome colours

thanks for the ideas.

Breeds is gonna sux with a 42:42.

Wish i was back to 95. Lockdown and munga stress. still paying the price.

Just want that little bit of easy climbing.

miss my 34 11-46

I did my first proper but of climbing with my new 30T in front, works perfect with what I think is a 32 on the back. Really happy, all round great gravel machine. With the tyres pumped up I was managing to keep up on the morning rides on the flat at around 45/47km/h, but cadence was around 130/140. 

For a gravel adventure, looks set.

I'm running a 40t up front and an 11-42 on the back and I've found it fine for everything I've had to climb, several trips into the berg and it's been 100s.... And on the flats it's more than enough.

In an ideal world I'd run a 38 up front and one of those e13 9-42 cassettes, but I don't see the need to change for the sake of changing while my current gearing is newish and working