Cleaning Derailleur Pulleys / Jockey Wheels

Myth

Jetwasher. Fast and gets all the dirt off. Been doing it for years on my mountain bikes with no problems. I use oil as lubricant. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Old credit card also works

I have an old spoke....bashed flat and wide at the end...when the bike is up on the stand I just turn the crank and gently but 'effectively' hold the flattened spoke against the jocket wheel and scrap the gun off, wipe with lappie and good to go...Every couple of months I remove the wheels and clean the bearing/bushing and all is sweet...Small flat screwdriver also works...

Old credit card also works

I love old credit cards! Great for opening up phones and laptop bezels as well!

A bit of spit works as well.

..seeing we covering everything under the sun. This thread is like flogging a dead horse..[emoji40]

A bit of spit works as well.

..seeing we covering everything under the sun. This thread is like flogging a dead horse..[emoji40]

Well, I was basically waiting for the ONE PROPER SOLUTION, you know the one for lazy guys like me.  The one that sort off goes like:  "Put three drops of solution xyz on each jockey wheel.  Bounce the bike 5 times on the rear suspension and all the gunk falls off..."

But like everything in real life, looks like I will at least have to put in a bit of effort.

Well, I was basically waiting for the ONE PROPER SOLUTION, you know the one for lazy guys like me. The one that sort off goes like: "Put three drops of solution xyz on each jockey wheel. Bounce the bike 5 times on the rear suspension and all the gunk falls off..."

But like everything in real life, looks like I will at least have to put in a bit of effort.

Well, sorry to break it you here...there aint no such thing as a PROPER SOLUTION. Thats a myth that has been around for the last 125 years[emoji6]

If you remove the derailleur plate and clean the pulleys seperately, please put some medium threadlock on the bolt afterwards.

I've had to help people home with lost derailleur wheels twic in my life. Don't be that person when it's totally avoidable.

This happened to me yesterday...I thought of this post when I saw what had happened. I remember reading it last week I thinking nah...that'll never happen....And ja...first time ever...

Had a bit of a walk home, I suppose I could have shortened the chain but its a relatively new chain so a walk/coast it was....Thankfully I had a spare couple of wheels laying around...

But you jinxed me man! :thumbup:

Edited by Mojoman

This happened to me yesterday...I thought of this post when I saw what had happened. I remember reading it last week I thinking nah...that'll never happen....And ja...first time ever...

Had a bit of a walk home, I suppose I could have shortened the chain but its a relatively new chain so a walk/coast it was....Thankfully I had a spare couple of wheels laying around...

*** walks to bike and checks bolts on jockey wheels ***

Well, I was basically waiting for the ONE PROPER SOLUTION, you know the one for lazy guys like me. The one that sort off goes like: "Put three drops of solution xyz on each jockey wheel. Bounce the bike 5 times on the rear suspension and all the gunk falls off..."

Stop lubing your chain. Problem solved.!

Bummer.

Naah you jinxed yourself by thinking it won't happen.

But that reminds me, I need to get new threadlock.

The one time we found the awol wheel and used some wire from a nearby fence to fix it, lasted the 30kms we needed to get home.

Bummer.

Naah you jinxed yourself by thinking it won't happen.

But that reminds me, I need to get new threadlock.

The one time we found the awol wheel and used some wire from a nearby fence to fix it, lasted the 30kms we needed to get home.

I found only the side plate bit for the wheel.....