Cleaning Derailleur Pulleys / Jockey Wheels

Myth

Well, I was basically waiting for the ONE PROPER SOLUTION, you know the one for lazy guys like me.  The one that sort off goes like:  "Put three drops of solution xyz on each jockey wheel.  Bounce the bike 5 times on the rear suspension and all the gunk falls off..."

But like everything in real life, looks like I will at least have to put in a bit of effort.

The only one solution is to buy replacement jockey wheels, then you don't need to clean them  :ph34r:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only one solution is to buy replacement jockey wheels, then you don't need to clean them  :ph34r:

You mean a new bike.....why stop at the jockey wheels?  Any excuse would do really.   :devil:

Edited by Spinnekop

• 2 weeks later...

I just use a thin screw driver - scrapes the jockey wheels clean.

By the way - if you have never serviced or replaced jockey wheels - pay attention when you take them out.

They are 2 different designs - you cant swap them around- and also note the direction of rotation.

Also Shimano and Sram are different - and get the correct wheels for your gear system (i.e. 7speed, 10speed) jockeys differ

and when reassembling - be careful, it is easy to drop a spacer/washer and not notice

Edited by Max Headroom

• 9 months later...

Spend lunch at the LBS for some R & R.

Kudo`s to Token/BBB, the bearings is fine.

The jockey teeth, forget about shark fins, these jockey wheel is a sheriff badge or ninja star.

post-53811-0-26646400-1619786018_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJuice