Earphone for cycling

J_ram

preferably none.

people cycling with earphones are so irritating. They don't hear cars hooting, they don't hear other cyclists behind. Had to pass a group of music reviewers on bikes yesterday morning. All the way down Muizenberg main road to kalk bay riding two abreast shouting at each other but not one took his earphones out (some kind of Bose BT unit, very slick btw ) or looked back...

oh and for the Karens.......no masks in sight.

so if you're going to be like those okes, Bose all the way. Life's too short to get hit from behind wearing cheap chinese knock offs

preferably none.

people cycling with earphones are so irritating. They don't hear cars hooting, they don't hear other cyclists behind. Had to pass a group of music reviewers on bikes yesterday morning. All the way down Muizenberg main road to kalk bay riding two abreast shouting at each other but not one took his earphones out (some kind of Bose BT unit, very slick btw ) or looked back...

oh and for the Karens.......no masks in sight.

so if you're going to be like those okes, Bose all the way. Life's too short to get hit from behind wearing cheap chinese knock offs

I'm in agreement with this - enjoy the sounds around you, especially since you are out and about. It also means you are aware of your surroundings...

If you insist on wearing headphones to listen to your favourite songs, the bone conducting headphones work well enough and they don't block out the surrounding sounds.

I'm in agreement with this - enjoy the sounds around you, especially since you are out and about. It also means you are aware of your surroundings...

If you insist on wearing headphones to listen to your favourite songs, the bone conducting headphones work well enough and they don't block out the surrounding sounds.

I also agree listening to music while riding especially on the road is looking for an accident to happen - Those bone conducting headphones are pricey and on some "like me" vibrate the inner ear to a oint of irritation that i cannot wear them.

So first try them out before you spend your money

Aftershokz Aeropex. Yes yes the bone conduction things.... I use them mainly for running, but have tried them once or twice on the bike. As stated above they don't block out any road noise which is awesome and though that may sound contradictory for listening to music or podcasts or whatever but it really doesn't take away from the sound strangely enough. For running they're absolutely amazing.

Wind noise affects it on the bike at any reasonable speed, so unless you ride slowly or mountain bike :ph34r: , bone conduction probably not best.

In-ear seems like a disaster waiting to happen. 

I use the Galaxy buds with the ambient noise on. this allows me to hear the music as well as my surroundings.

Particularly on the long days in the saddle.

I keep my buff over my ears to try dampen the wind noise, which helps a lot.

You can hear most of your surroundings if you keep you music low enough, but if you get into it, you wont hear much.

Only gripe is on very bumpy rides the headphones seem to "stutter" almost like they're losing connection all the time. But that really is a first world complaint

I agree with Chris... the Aeropex are awesome. You have perfect hearing of your surroundings even with the volumes turned up. A little on the expensive side at R2900 ish, but well worth it. They are water resistant.
https://www.myistore.co.za/aftershokz-aeropex-open-ear-wireless-headphone-bone-conduction-cosmic-black?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9vbAo5Kn6gIVwcYYCh3eZAC4EAAYASAAEgJPe_D_BwE

Edited by Paulst12

I only use earphones when cycling on the farm on long boring dirt roads with no cars... I would recommend Jaybird Vista but the JBL Flow is also decent. Only use the left headphone and the headphones auto balances the sound automatically which is great 

The only time I use earphones while cycling is solo mtb rides on very secluded dirt roads.

If I want to listen to music on the road, I have a JBL Clip that I zip-tie to my handlebar. It's plenty loud, and still allows me to be aware of my surroundings.