ADVICE NEEDED - Looking for a New MTB +- 30k

Nicola MTB

Hi Guys,

It's time to upgrade my MTB. Looking at getting a Full Sus 29'er and have a budget of around 30k.

I mostly do XC and Marathon style riding. Hoping to do some stage races like Wines2Whales and Sani.

Was keen on the Specialized Epic Comp (Aluminium Frame) which was on special for R30k but unfortunately they all sold out before I could get my hands on one...

So need some advice relating to other brands and options. :clap:

What advice do you guys have in terms of

1. Going second hand?

Heard some scary stories about expensive repairs to the shocks...

2. Specialized. Would love to get an Epic. But not sure about the Brain and the 150hr services I'll need to send it away for. Any experience with this? ....Kinda wanna just get one anyway  :wub:

3. Momsen? I've seen some pretty good deals on their bikes. But their frame guarantee is only for 3 years? Anyone have any experience with their VIPA RACE ONE? Seriously considering getting this one since I'm not so sure an Epic at around 30k is realistic.

Thanks in advance guys.

Will appreciate any insight or experience!

Edited by Nicola MTB

I think for the price Momsen would be hard to beat carbon frame good parts, light. Only thing about the Vipa race is rear tyre clearance but if you happy with 2.25 there's no worries.

Both me and my son have Momsen Vipas - both carbon - both custom build, but the race frame. Rear tyre clearance is tight. Not just on tyre width (example 2.0 or 2.2) bit also on ‘hight’. I ran racing ralphs on South Industry rims and clearance between the ‘top nobbies’ of the tyre and the bridge between the two seat stays where very tight. So much so that flex or dirt (trapped on tyre or the bridge) cause scratching on the bridge. With ztr crest rims and maxxis icon 2.2 it’s much better - probably the combination of lower profile tyre and slightly ‘smaller rim’ (rim height). To avoid scratching i just tape a bit of isolation tape around the bridge - problem solved and the ztr/ikon combo is fine!!

that’s my only complaint. The bike is great. Race One on the specials (clearing old stock) is good value for money. I bought both frames on ‘clearance sales’.

Thanks for all the info guys!

Unfortunately theres no stock of the Momsen or that Titan :(

Soooo, to wait for a second hand Epic?

My advise on this topic is always the same  :D

Build a bike up for yourself. For your budget you'll be able to get yourself a proper ride & if you're eager to learn then it will be a valuable skill to have out on the trails. 

I mean basically you'll just be marrying a bunch of parts together which came off different bikes and or are new  :). Yes there's some things to look out for but that's why you have the Hub / Youtube to point you in the right direction, I mean hell, there's guys on here that has way way more knowledge than I have and are more than willing to help out. 

You can also source the parts from all over the country and then take to your LBS to assemble.