Tubbies vs Tubeless vs Clinchers (again)

reflexus

I know there are loads of threads about tubbies and other tyre options but I guess I just wanted another opinion.

I've got a great set of tubular wheels (Enve 3.4's) and I've been incredibly lucky not to puncture (yet).

I also haven't had to change a tubbie in about 25 years now, always ridden clinchers before so every time I do ride I have this feeling of dread that I will puncture and then have to sukkel on the side of the road for an hour to fix it.

Is there anyone else who rides tubbies regularly and should I splash out on a set of carbon clinchers or tubeless?

Thanks!

If you have never had an issue with tubbies, but you understand the puncture risks and know how to get around them, why change? 

Buying a new wheelset and tyres is going to cost a lot of money, and you seem to be happy with your current setup.

That said - when you could only buy 100% full carbon rims in tubby format there was a distinct weight advantage over clinchers but now that full carbon clinchers are a thing there is only the mythical "road feel" of tubbies left as an advantage. And even that is being eroded by modern clincher tech.

Tubbies are slowly becoming a romantic's choice of tyre format methinks and fair due to them!

I'm with Eldron on this one. Tubbies just feel great and the wheels are lighter too. The decent tubbies use latex tubes so their puncture resistance is generally higher anyway plus latex plays nicely with sealant.

That said, Vittoria Corsa Control TLR or Pirelli P-Zero Velo with latex tubes don't give much away to tubbies.

Tubeless on a road bike is a pfaff that I just can't be bothered to buy into right now. Mavic is the only company that seems to have it Licked

No no. no.

i've ridden a set of these for the last 1000km - they came with my new Zipps.

i've had 10 punctures so far. 

they are a lovely tire. but not for RSA roads.

i've pulled them off and have swapped over to my used faithful GP4000II again

Pirelli P-Zero Velo 

Edited by Furbz

Tubeless on a road bike is a pfaff that I just can't be bothered to buy into right now. Mavic is the only company that seems to have it Licked

I haven't really scratched far below the surface of road tubless but Iøm with you on that. Mavic on mavic works well - the rest is just too pfaffy.

MTB there seems to be quite forgiving when mixing tyre/rim combos and an extra layer of tape will solve most problem but road seems to be far less forgiving and the i'mgoingtothrowthispieceofcrapthroughtewindowsoon factor is high!

Hopefully manufacturers will start tightening the specs cos trying to put just the first side of a tyre onto a rim and needing a tyre lever isn't fun.

I haven't really scratched far below the surface of road tubless but Iøm with you on that. Mavic on mavic works well - the rest is just too pfaffy.

MTB there seems to be quite forgiving when mixing tyre/rim combos and an extra layer of tape will solve most problem but road seems to be far less forgiving and the i'mgoingtothrowthispieceofcrapthroughtewindowsoon factor is high!

Hopefully manufacturers will start tightening the specs cos trying to put just the first side of a tyre onto a rim and needing a tyre lever isn't fun.

Used to ride tubbies, and loved them... although ended up riding Conti Gatorskin tubbies with a little sealant which gave away a lot of the legendary tubby ride quality in the pursuit of puncture resistance and longevity.

I've been riding road tubeless for slightly more than 2 years now, and wouldn't go back. Small amount of sealant has meant very few issues in tens of thousands of km. My personal experience has been very dependent on tire choice, and slightly less dependent on rim/tire combo.

Initial setup was Easton EC90 Aero 55's with Schwalbe Pro One TL (great)... had to replace with Hutchinson 11Storm TL on a trip to the Alps (rubbish, steer clear) and then tried GP5000TL (excellent, highly recommended). With this setup, rolling resistance and grip varied from very good to excellent, but I needed tire levers to seat and compressor to seal, regardless of tire. And tires need to be pumped slightly each week.

Bought some Roval CLX32s and S-Works Turbo TL tires last weekend. Tires went on by hand (no levers required), tires seated with a traveling floor pump, so best set-up experience to date. Only a couple of rides in so far, but ride feel, grip and rolling resistance seem great. They also seem to hold pressure 100%.

It seems that the newer TL tire/rim combinations work better than earlier versions - and it's only going to get better with all the R&D going into road tubeless. If you are buying new clinchers, definitely get something that can run tubeless - you can always run tubes initially if you're unsure.

I think I might just carry on riding these wheels (might change my mind again though at some point - probably on the side of the road as a try and tear a tubbie off).

They do feel great to ride and they look great on the bike too.

Thanks for all the opinions!