Best all round bike computer/HR monitor

extremez

What would be the best all round bike computer/HR Monitor to buy?

A computer that has all the bells and whistles

What would be the best all round bike computer/HR Monitor to buy?

A computer that has all the bells and whistles

the best computer is the one that has the features that you will use/maximize, for the lowest possible price.

It’s no use getting a device that controls the smart trainer, if I don’t have a smart trainer, or one with navigation.

If you don’t use it, why get a model that has it.

the best computer is the one that has the features that you will use/maximize, for the lowest possible price.

It’s no use getting a device that controls the smart trainer, if I don’t have a smart trainer, or one with navigation.

If you don’t use it, why get a model that has it.

So what would you suggest?

Oops this is a contentious issue after the great Gramin Ransomware attack. Right now it depends a lot on the back end systems and upload to sites etc. Garmin, Wahoo, Polar, Suunto. Even Apple is good.

Pick one and stick with it.

Me i am a Garmin fan boy cause of their service in country and general implicity to integrate across all platfomrs.

As others have said, be more specific.

What do you want to record

What sensors do you need to connect

Do you want/need navigation

Do you need smart notification

Do you need device to control a smart trainer

Having got all and any of the above and more, you want to analyse it and if so what platform software

Do you need for Discovery points or not

etc etc.

First define what you want and then advice can be given, else if you say just all the bells as whistles then you will be given top of the range in each option and will likely fall off your chair at the price!

As others have said, be more specific.

What do you want to record

What sensors do you need to connect

Do you want/need navigation

Do you need smart notification

Do you need device to control a smart trainer

Having got all and any of the above and more, you want to analyse it and if so what platform software

Do you need for Discovery points or not

etc etc.

First define what you want and then advice can be given, else if you say just all the bells as whistles then you will be given top of the range in each option and will likely fall off your chair at the price!

I would like to record

Heart rate

Cadence

Power

And then obviously be able to downlead to Strava and Discovery etc.

I currently have a Joule Power GPS HR Monitor which does all of this but is getting a bit old, time for an upgrade but not wanting to pay a hefty price

The bottom line is that Garmin is difficult to beat still. To me there is point that cannot be ignored (i broke a few).

If you break the mount, walk in any shop and they will have spares for a Garmin. On the other hand you might need to keep your Lezyne or Wahoo (Bryton in my case) in your pocket for a while. I ended up ordering quite a few on Ali Express to have spares on hand

So what would you suggest?

To expand on what has already been said ....

I use the older Garmin 520.  It certainly does way more than what I use.  Though many others do use all its functions and want more ....

I use the Garmin 130 on the kids bike - at the time it was the cheapest GPS type bike computer I could get.  The hard truth is that the 130 will fulfill my needs ... in terms of wants I do prefer a slightly bigger screen ....

Today the Lyzene GPS units offer a LOT more "value for money" .....

BUT - be sure in terms of what you think you want ....  I certainly would recommend getting at least a unit that:

- is GPS based

- has a hart rate monitor

- has a cadence monitor

With the Lyzene units you need to do some maths to figure out the "package" cost vs the "bundle" costs from Garmin.  Also note that with Garmin you get TWO options, either just the computer unit, OR a bundle with the computer and the sensors ... so if a unit looks very cheap, check what you are getting.

If I had to buy tomorrow .... tough call between the Garmin 130 or a Lyzene.  As a casual rider I cant justify the current costs of the bigger Garmin units ...

I would like to record

Heart rate

Cadence

Power

I currently have a Joule Power GPS HR Monitor which does all of this but is getting a bit old, time for an upgrade but not wanting to pay a hefty price

Now you have SHORTENED your list !!!

Sounds like you are looking at the Garmin 530 ....  Not sure if the 130 records power ...

I would like to record

Heart rate

Cadence

Power

I wouldn’t list HR, Cadence, Power and Discovery as “all the bells and whistles”. Almost every Garmin bike computer can do these things, as can most GPS bike computers.

Bells and whistles would be navigation, controlling your fitness equipment (FE-C), live tracking, live Strava segments, touch screen, integrated messages from your phone to device, integration with training plan apps (to send your workout to the device), barometric altimeter, thermometer, crash detection, performance metrics, etc.

The Garmin 130 will do everything you listed in your post above, and doesn’t cost a lot. You mention Vitality, so if you have a Healthy Gear card, then you have to buy the bundle (device + HR strap) to get the % cash back at Sportsman Warehouse - not sure if Total Sports sell Garmin. However, when I checked, SWH never had the 130+ which is the latest version, only the 130. The 130+ has a lot more for the same price as the older 130. This was only available at CycleLab, Garmin’s office and a few other select stores.

The Lezyne is slightly cheaper, but comes with a whack more features. However, it doesn’t meet Discovery’s list of approved devices. With some FitFileTools magic, it might be possible, but it doesn’t work for my unit.

Wahoo and the 530 are probably on par (price and spec). The Lezyne Mega C/XL is not far behind but half the price. All locally supported.

And I keep forgetting about Polar. Also locally supported, but not as popular as Garmin and Wahoo.

Which devices and apps does Vitality use to award points?

Apple Watch.

Samsung Gear Watch.

Polar.

Garmin.

Fitbit.

Garmin.

Huawei.

Suunto.