Road Upgrade.. Lateral? Or disc?

Focusspeed1

You think so?

Giant certainly has the cache but those Giant wheels weigh more than my house.

Training wheels. Use em whilst you eye your next upgrade. Upgrades are like appetites. There's always another one as soon as you satisfy this one.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Training wheels. Use em whilst you eye your next upgrade. Upgrades are like appetites. There's always another one as soon as you satisfy this one.

It is a lovely bike no doubt. If I was about to retire my "old" TCR I don't think I'd bother looking at anything else.

The 105 on mine and my fiance's bikes have been completely flawless from day 1 so no issues there. 

My last 3 bikes were rim braked. The only one I ever felt had the stopping power was the first of those 3 back in the 90's, every other bike since then I could not get to stop properly.

It may have been brake pad/rim related, but I could never have more than gradual de-acceleration. 

I'm now riding a disc brake bike and for the first time in year I'm confident that if I hit the brakes the only reason I'm not going to stop is the tyres losing traction.

Confidence in stopping power has changed my confidence on the bike.

My last 3 bikes were rim braked. The only one I ever felt had the stopping power was the first of those 3 back in the 90's, every other bike since then I could not get to stop properly.

It may have been brake pad/rim related, but I could never have more than gradual de-acceleration. 

I'm now riding a disc brake bike and for the first time in year I'm confident that if I hit the brakes the only reason I'm not going to stop is the tyres losing traction.

Confidence in stopping power has changed my confidence on the bike.

strange, very strange.

If you were riding Alu wheels then there shouldn't have been any issues even with the cheap pads that come with the bikes.

Sometimes all the marketing gets into our heads [not directed at you, just a general comment]

If you haven't already, have a look at gravel bike options. More disc brake options available, often more comfortable endurance focused geometry plus it gives you access to another riding experience.

Depending where you live, the ability to comfortably take on gravel roads might open up a whole new world of routes.

...and no, this doesn't mean you'd need another set of wheels. Pick tyres that best suit 80% of your riding and you can always slap on a pair of bigger gravel specific tyres if you decide to go on an adventure or enter a gravel race.

No no no no no....

I know gravel bikes are a thing but a gravel bike is not a good road bike nor is it a good mountain bike. On the road theyre slow and heavy on the trail they're uncomfortable and skittish. When a man asks for a road bike recommendation a Gravle bike is not the Answer.

It like reading the math problem Find X and you draw a picture with text that says "its here" with arrows.

No,.. just no

As a caveat, it certainly does help with stopping, but what it helps with is wheel tech and aero as well as longevity of expensive race rims. maybe, it certainly helps marketing saying new things

It also allows bikes better clearance for tires as the brake arch isn't in the way. That's a design issue with the brakes. My road bike takes 28C tyres comfortably. Bigger than that the tyres start to ramp up in weight and rolling resistance. With no series Shimano touring brake calipers I could fit a 30C maybe a 32C. But I won't be running anything  bigger than 25C ever.

With no braking surface, wheels can be made more aero, have thinner walls and run better tubeless tires as there is no more heating up and cooling down of the surface/sealant.  claimed more aero but the disc rotor is a 160mm spinning fan that adds drag and extra surface area for cross winds to act on. The Corima wheels don't have a stepped braked surface and are amongst the most aero. I don't think disc brake wheels will be more aero.

The rims no longer wear from brake pads. Carbon rims don't really wear, the pads do and quickly, but not any quicker than disc brake pads in road use.

There are a heap of benefits to it apart from braking. Just like there are benefits to rim brakes. True, mostly on the shop floor but they do work better in the wet if you don't splash chain lube all over the rotors which will happen.

Looking at the pro's and deciding what to buy is the exact reason every one in SA landed up on Spaz Epics for too long. AMEN! 

IMHO if you aren't racing very  much, get something that excites you. If you get something vanilla because it will give you 17 seconds over 100km then it's probably going to land up on the classifieds before too long. Amen and AMEN brother Bacca. Can we make this line a sticky?

No no no no no....

I know gravel bikes are a thing but a gravel bike is not a good road bike nor is it a good mountain bike. On the road theyre slow and heavy on the trail they're uncomfortable and skittish. When a man asks for a road bike recommendation a Gravle bike is not the Answer.

It like reading the math problem Find X and you draw a picture with text that says "its here" with arrows.

No,.. just no

I knew I was going to have to justify my suggestion eventually...

Firstly, context: my gravel bike is a steel frame touring gravel bike, weighs around 11kg... Relaxed geometry and gearing is 2x11 running 48/32 upfront.

I use it to do long rides on gravel. It's *** on anything resembling MTB trails, that's what my mtb is for.

However this winter I've found myself riding it on the road far more than my carbon road bike.

Partially because my back no longer likes the more racy geometry of my "race" road bike and partially because I like being able to just ride through the debris & sand on the road edges with no concerns.

(Plus I'm ashamed to say I don't always clean it after a ride...whereas my road bike gets cleaned after every ride)

Added to all that, the hydraulic disc brakes give me more confidence - no need to dig into that, I've ridden on & off for 25yrs, it's my personal opinion.

I've been in the market for a replacement road bike for awhile now, I need something with more relaxed geometry than my current bike. I was adamant I was going to pick up a great deal on a 2nd hand rim brake bike. After the last few months riding my gravel bike on the road, I'm now holding off to find a disc brake replacement road bike.

If you're under 40 and have no back issues then sure, go for the lightest most racy road bike your Rs can buy you.

However if you're more interested in being able to ride frequently with zero discomfort and want to just enjoy getting out there, then a 2x geared gravel bike (not a touring beast like mine) can bring far more value for your Rs. (not everyone can justify n+1)

Had discs( and not bottom end stuff but 150k stuff) and hated it.

gone back to rim.

i know im going to get flamed but just find discs Uncomfortable.

The introduction of thru axles stiffen the bike so much to the point of been uncomfortable.

If you 80 plus kg you might not notice but lighter riders will.

Trend also to “trail”type geometry etc on new disc bikes to accommodate wider tires are absolutely ****.

But then again the manufacturers tell us they are so much better and like sheep we just fall in line.

:thumbup:

Totally agree. At 70kg I found a disc brake bike to have a lot more buzz than its rim brake equivalent and this was on one of the most comfortable bikes in the category. I opted to replace my rim brake frame with a rime brake frame and have no regrets.

I won;t be riding 28C tyres anytime soon, 25C is wide enough for comfort ( frame accomodats up to 28C with rim brakes on an aero frame)

With everyone being disc brake bedornnerd, rim brake wheels prices are highly negotiable :)

Thru axles make the fork and rear trianble stiffer but they loose clamping pressure i.e. they unwind. Also a QR skewer delivers more clamping force and allow faster wheel changes. Tulio knew what he was doing.

I knew I was going to have to justify my suggestion eventually...

Firstly, context: my gravel bike is a steel frame touring gravel bike, weighs around 11kg... Relaxed geometry and gearing is 2x11 running 48/32 upfront.

I use it to do long rides on gravel. It's *** on anything resembling MTB trails, that's what my mtb is for.

However this winter I've found myself riding it on the road far more than my carbon road bike.

Partially because my back no longer likes the more racy geometry of my "race" road bike and partially because I like being able to just ride through the debris & sand on the road edges with no concerns.

(Plus I'm ashamed to say I don't always clean it after a ride...whereas my road bike gets cleaned after every ride)

Added to all that, the hydraulic disc brakes give me more confidence - no need to dig into that, I've ridden on & off for 25yrs, it's my personal opinion.

I've been in the market for a replacement road bike for awhile now, I need something with more relaxed geometry than my current bike. I was adamant I was going to pick up a great deal on a 2nd hand rim brake bike. After the last few months riding my gravel bike on the road, I'm now holding off to find a disc brake replacement road bike.

If you're under 40 and have no back issues then sure, go for the lightest most racy road bike your Rs can buy you.

However if you're more interested in being able to ride frequently with zero discomfort and want to just enjoy getting out there, then a 2x geared gravel bike (not a touring beast like mine) can bring far more value for your Rs. (not everyone can justify n+1)

That's good reasoning for your needs. I see a few peeps doing the same but then I also see the fashionistas pushing the gravel bike. As a winter training bike, for sure a gravel bike  would be interesting option I might consider. If it was my only bike I'd seriously consider lighter wheels and even lighter bars, stem, seat post to remove some of the weight. 

But it would not be my race bike. they're too sluggish, heavy, slow to turn (stability for gravel roads) . It's a bit like taking a Cessna 172 to a RedBullAir Race. Sure you can enter the race and fly the course but....

Had discs( and not bottom end stuff but 150k stuff) and hated it.

gone back to rim.

i know im going to get flamed but just find discs Uncomfortable.

The introduction of thru axles stiffen the bike so much to the point of been uncomfortable.

If you 80 plus kg you might not notice but lighter riders will.

Trend also to “trail”type geometry etc on new disc bikes to accommodate wider tires are absolutely ****.

But then again the manufacturers tell us they are so much better and like sheep we just fall in line.

Excellent wisdom, borne out of experience, there's no better.

Makes me reconsider my response which was a flat out "disc"

Excellent wisdom, borne out of experience, there's no better.

Makes me reconsider my response which was a flat out "disc"

No backsies.! LOL ;)

:thumbup:

Totally agree. At 70kg I found a disc brake bike to have a lot more buzz than its rim brake equivalent and this was on one of the most comfortable bikes in the category. I opted to replace my rim brake frame with a rime brake frame and have no regrets.

I won;t be riding 28C tyres anytime soon, 25C is wide enough for comfort ( frame accomodats up to 28C with rim brakes on an aero frame)

With everyone being disc brake bedornnerd, rim brake wheels prices are highly negotiable :)

Thru axles make the fork and rear trianble stiffer but they loose clamping pressure i.e. they unwind. Also a QR skewer delivers more clamping force and allow faster wheel changes. Tulio knew what he was doing.

interestingly my hydraulic disc bike has QR skewers not thru axles.

strange, very strange.

If you were riding Alu wheels then there shouldn't have been any issues even with the cheap pads that come with the bikes.

Sometimes all the marketing gets into our heads [not directed at you, just a general comment]

I dont know what the reason is, certainly was not marketing as this problem existed for me way before disc brakes on road bikes were a thing you could readily buy. 

When I was younger and braver I'd just look far ahead and hope for the best, as I got older I was keeping the speeds down and braking WAY before any hint of a possible obstruction.

It is a lovely bike no doubt. If I was about to retire my "old" TCR I don't think I'd bother looking at anything else.

The 105 on mine and my fiance's bikes have been completely flawless from day 1 so no issues there. 

I must admit to a soft spot for Giants. Even though my race bike is no longer one, I still train most days on a TCR.

I am on my 3rd disc brake bike and reading this thread has made me think about my decisions of late. So caad 12, fast ,really fast. Just didn't like the ride . So bought a Cannondale Synapse disc and it was fantastic . Think it is the longest I have owned any bike 18 months .

Then i road a mates bike I was helping set up.... big mistake . It was a Spez venge 2012 and holy cr@p was it fast and fun to ride . It just rode like nothing I had ridden in ages and yes it was rim.

So decided impetuously to sell my synapse and buy an aero bike,but disc of course because it would be like the rim brake Spez but better . So that’s what i did . And bought a brand new 2020 Reacto . Am 2 rides in and it’s not what I expected, although not sure what I expected it to be . It’s fast yet comfortable enough and really does handle well and feels stable and sure footed. It climbs better than I expected which is a pleasant surprise . I really do like the feel and ease of which disc brakes brings you to a stop or scrubs of speed. As for the wide tyres, yea they comfortable but couldn’t tell you if they effect my speed at all all. I use 28’s .

Before I bought the reacto I rode my gravel bike with road wheels & 28’s and then with mnt bike wheels with 32mm panaracer slicks . And it was obviously 1x . Over a 100 km ride I can honestly say that it was easily doable and maybe ever so slightly slower . Most of rides are solo so have nothing to compare it to other than avg speed.

BUT, if I could go back to any road bike I have owned it would be my last rim brake bike . It always felt special to ride ,it always made me look at it twice . It just had something special about that any disc bike I have owned doesn’t have. Maybe it’s not quantifiable.

It was a Colnago C59 and maybe it’s just that it felt very special to me. But the recent ride on the Spez venge reminded me of how good rim brake bikes are .

Ride what makes your heart tick , I wish I had my C59 back.

Edited by Pikey

BUT, if I could go back to any road bike I have owned it would be my last rim brake bike . It always felt special to ride ,it always made me look at it twice . It just had something special about that any disc bike I have owned doesn’t have. Maybe it’s not quantifiable.

It was a Colnago C59 and maybe it’s just that it felt very special to me. But the recent ride on the Spez venge reminded me of how good rim brake bikes are .

Of course it's quantifiable. It's right there :w00t: