About Surfing.

'Dale

Kai Lenny is truly on a whole other level, his big wave surfing is not matched by any of the other chargers past or present...I just pray that he does not push himself over the edge 'cause right now, I believe the way he charges, he is literally waking a tight rope made of candy floss and the consequences of falling badly at his level, in those conditions are huge....he really is talented and hope he lives to become a leathery, old surfer dude with surfer bumps on his knees! ...Eddie Rothman-style!!

My sentiments too. I actually watched him in a video surfing Jaws (might've been this one) and he was all over the scene, including being covered in white water at times, yet he remains standing dancing through it all. My thoughts were he acts as if he is somehow superhuman (which I suspect he is with all that skill), but ja, he is on a very thin gossamer line there. I'd hate to hear he ate it.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The world's greatest waterman. Ever. It's easy to watch what he does and kind of get blase about it coz he seems to do it with such aparent ease.

Don't be fooled tho. There's 2 skis and a boat covering his every move and there's a lot of physical, mental and equipment prep that goes into it. Stuff can go wrong but those guys know it's not a game.

I do think they treat the ocean with the respect it deserves.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Here's more insane stuff by Kai ...a flipping wing! ....and it appears to run in the family, his brother Ridge makes a huge barrel at Jaws!

Edit: Watch Ty Simpson Kane's MAD barrel!!! 

I speak under correction but I believe Matt "Bromdog" Bromley from the The Kom was there for this swell as well...will find clips, I'm sure...

found it:

https://www.facebook.com/magicseaweed/videos/2719136951643351

Edited by capediver

Here's more insane stuff by Kai ...a flipping wing! ....and it appears to run in the family, his brother Ridge makes a huge barrel at Jaws!

Edit: Watch Ty Simpson Kane's MAD barrel!!! 

I speak under correction but I believe Matt "Bromdog" Bromley from the The Kom was there for this swell as well...will find clips, I'm sure...

found it:

https://www.facebook.com/magicseaweed/videos/2719136951643351

This is just insane. All of a sudden this year is the one where big wave barrels have become a thing...

post-103677-0-27672100-1611870343_thumb.jpg

What Kai Lenny is doing cannot rightly be called surfing anymore. That guy is just of the charts.

Watched this earlier. Tom Curren just oozing class and style after all these years. To me he ranks up there as one of my all time favourite surfers to watch and try emulate.

Yip, class all the way, so great to see some actual carving surfing instead of high speed pumps to get an aerial 360 whatever on a close out!

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

With 6 days to go until the G.O.A.T. turns 50 he wins the Billabong Pipe Pro in superb style with a 9.00 and 9.77 against Seth Moniz, more than half his age and a Pipe local. His eighth Pipe crown since his maiden C.T. win at Pipe in 1992.

30 years

55 Wins

11 World Titles 

Is there anything else to say about King Kelly apart from well done?

I must say I had a spot of dust in my eyes during his post heat interview. Simply stellar. He was the best back in the 90's when I was a grom kook. Now I'm just a kook, but he's still the best.

• 11 months later...

Some snappies from down the beach the other day.

I surfed a MUCH BIGGER day down there just before Xmas that was TRULY terrifying. Proper survival mode stuff. The one paddle out after getting washed to the beach took 40 minutes. You just have to paddle and try find a keyhole to get through when it's like that. I only got one noteworthy wave but what I saw will live with me forever.

15422066-Medium-Digital-Photo-Download-2500x1667.jpg

15440503-Medium-Digital-Photo-Download-2500x1667.jpg

Edited by Duane_Bosch