About Surfing.

'Dale

About a year ago my brother had the same thing, only difference was it was the nose of the board and it hit him in the face.

He called me to say he needs to be taken to a doctor, blood was pouring out of the gaping hole in his face.

So I rushed off to pick him up and get him to hospital. We arrive and he proceeds to tell the security guard that I did that to him thinking he is a funny bugger... next thing I have the security guards wanting to keep me there until the police arrive!!

He had to explain nicely to some very unimpressed security guards that he was joking.

Hahaha.

That's super funny.

Years ago. Same spot, Same conditions, same type of incident. My board split my cheek. The scar is still there. I could blow air through the hole.

I had a lumo wetsuit and the blood was quite impressive. When I came out the water I asked a lightie on the beach if I was bleeding. The look on his face told the story. Hahaha. Couple of stitches at the hospital in Fishhoek and I was ready to roll again.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahaha.

That's super funny.

Years ago. Same spot, Same conditions, same type of incident. My board split my cheek. The scar is still there. I could blow air through the hole.

I had a lumo wetsuit and the blood was quite impressive. When I came out the water I asked a lightie on the beach if I was bleeding. The look on his face told the story. Hahaha. Couple of stitches at the hospital in Fishhoek and I was ready to roll again.

Yeah I had my fair share of injuries but none board related.

I did try stop myself on a shallow inside reef by using my face against a rock once. I still have the scars from it.

Off topic completely but do any of you suffer with ear issues?

My doctor when I was a youngster said he always knew who the surfers were because we have narrower ear canals from all of the time spent in the sea.

My ears block up for a joke with wax so I have to syringe them out fairly often.

Just a note about the correct name of a surf spot.

The high tide beachie to the north of the Long Beach main peak. It offers up nice tubes at high tide and the odd ramp. Especially if the swell is a little broken up.

The name of this surf spot is NOT Kraans,Krans, Craans.

It's Crons. The name does not come from the chronic nature of the takeoff or the kraans that you drop into. It comes from the name of the old Crons dairy which was owned by the Cronwright family, located where the Valleyland shopping centre now is. Their dairy herds used to float between Sunvalley and where Immoff's farm is now. And surfers would often spot the herd on the way to Long Beach.

attachicon.gif2593895_151107194744_20151107194743-0.jpg

that's a cool bit of trivia - when I was doing national service at the Cape Castle, I was on orders to go surfing everyday at 12 - caught the train to Muizenberg and would then hustle a lift to what I thought was Kraans

I landed a "sponsorship" with the guys from T&C/CHP in Durban at the time...pretty sure Graham Smith was shaping under their label back then) and was "given" a few boards ie I paid for them but not full price!! This was the best of the lot but I did blow out the back fin, you can see the repairs to the box...another was a green and black quad, also cool but didn't have the same down-the-line drive...Unfortunately, I lost this "rainbow" one...flew off the roof of my yellow Passat station wagon...forgot to tie it down when leaving the Seal's carpark!!!!!!! 

I found some footage of a day at Bruces that year, May, 1985, cooking...I'm trying to recover it with editing cause its a really bad copy of a bad VHS video but here are some frame grabs of the Rainbow flying!...some legends out that day..Trevor Hansen, Larry Levin, Richard McDonald (goofy), Karl Weischtra, Greg Smith, Bradley Wanwig, David Gelderbloem, Neville Hulett...as soon as I got the best edit out, I'll post it...it's Bruces when the dune was still there and there was no harbour to stop the swell at the top of then point, Santarem was a twinkle in a developer's eye and if the Kromme flooded you were stuck in St Francis!!!

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2020-09-09 at 16.19.06.png

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2020-09-09 at 16.28.47.png

Graham Smith was T&C then, very cool boards in those days - there were a few shaper but he was the main guy

I landed a "sponsorship" with the guys from T&C/CHP in Durban at the time...pretty sure Graham Smith was shaping under their label back then) and was "given" a few boards ie I paid for them but not full price!! This was the best of the lot but I did blow out the back fin, you can see the repairs to the box...another was a green and black quad, also cool but didn't have the same down-the-line drive...Unfortunately, I lost this "rainbow" one...flew off the roof of my yellow Passat station wagon...forgot to tie it down when leaving the Seal's carpark!!!!!!! 

I found some footage of a day at Bruces that year, May, 1985, cooking...I'm trying to recover it with editing cause its a really bad copy of a bad VHS video but here are some frame grabs of the Rainbow flying!...some legends out that day..Trevor Hansen, Larry Levin, Richard McDonald (goofy), Karl Weischtra, Greg Smith, Bradley Wanwig, David Gelderbloem, Neville Hulett...as soon as I got the best edit out, I'll post it...it's Bruces when the dune was still there and there was no harbour to stop the swell at the top of then point, Santarem was a twinkle in a developer's eye and if the Kromme flooded you were stuck in St Francis!!!

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2020-09-09 at 16.19.06.png

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2020-09-09 at 16.28.47.png

Spent a few hours on Premier Pro trying to re-colour and adjust the footage. I ended up splitting it into 3 parts, some of it I could do much with as the tech of day must have had some wild auto-exposure programming with it over-exposing and blowing out frames in quick succession..anyway, it's still rare "home movies" stuff...I tried to tag some guys I recognise purely from their style and the fact that most of the guys out were locals from PE...anyway, hopefully it came out OK

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3: 

Edited by capediver

Graham Smith was T&C then, very cool boards in those days - there were a few shaper but he was the main guy

Yeah, I thought so, I actually called the guys after the win, I was so bloody excited.... from the St Francis Hotel..probably fuelled up on West Coast Cooler! they went..pfffttt!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its been many years since I've been active in the surf scene but my 7yr old is dragging me back in to the water.

So I've got her wetsuit sorted but I' looking for a good board for a 7yr old to learn on, preferably with a soft deck and fins that give way if fallen on (does this exist?)

Any advice would be appreciated

Its been many years since I've been active in the surf scene but my 7yr old is dragging me back in to the water.

So I've got her wetsuit sorted but I' looking for a good board for a 7yr old to learn on, preferably with a soft deck and fins that give way if fallen on (does this exist?)

They are called soft tops - check out pollywog.co.za

Kids. Magical things.

I'm doing stuff I would never do if it wasn't for Jonah.