Best 29" trail tyres (in stock in SA now)?

Edge_Design

I'm busy building a new 130/115mm trail bike 

My original aim was to get Maxxis DHF/DHR combo in 29x2.3" but there appears to be a severe shortage currently in SA (I have the WT versions of these on my enduro bike and they're great but a bit slow)

I'm more interested in grip and puncture prevention but also don't want anything TOO slow as the bike will occasionally do 50+km rides hence not looking at the wide trail versions of the above.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for good tyre combo's which are available currently?

If looking at Maxxis, have you considered an Ardent/Aggressor combo or Aggressor front and rear? There's also the Minion semi slick which you could combine with the Aggressor or Ardent up front.

Otherwise there is the Onza combo of the Ibex/Citius to consider.

I am currently running  Maxiss dissectorr 2.4 on my front it weighs 860g and grips and rolls fast.

Highly recommended .

I would pair it up with a Recon 2.4 on the back or a perhaps a forekaster.  That will be a nice light ,fast rolling combo with good grip 

I'm having a lekker time on Aggressor front and rear on my trail bike. Good rolling speed and more than enough grip - especially in the dry. I would consider a Rekon for the rear if I was doing longer rides just for more rolling speed. 

Another alternative is Specialized Eliminator. It rolls much faster than it looks like it would, and is not badly priced either. I have them on the long travel bike because Spez actually carries stock of sizes and casing options. 

Even if I don't respond I am reading all the replies - just interested to see if there ends up being a common thread.

Maxxis appear to have little to no stock of almost any lines currently in the common 29" sizes so unfortunately I probably need to look at other brands (unless you can also point me towards specific stores with stock)

Even if I don't respond I am reading all the replies - just interested to see if there ends up being a common thread.

Maxxis appear to have little to no stock of almost any lines currently in the common 29" sizes so unfortunately I probably need to look at other brands (unless you can also point me towards specific stores with stock)

Go to stoke he has a few maxxis in stock

Alternatively go to a trek dealer and get Bontranger xr4 for your front and an xr3 for the rear.  Great tyres they last forever and in 3 years of hard riding i have had one puncture.  

Edited by Stevief

Check out Onza Ibex 2.4 up front, Onza Canis 2.25 in the rear.

I think evobikes stocks them. Very robust and not too heavy.

I'm busy building a new 130/115mm trail bike

My original aim was to get Maxxis DHF/DHR combo in 29x2.3" but there appears to be a severe shortage currently in SA (I have the WT versions of these on my enduro bike and they're great but a bit slow)

I'm more interested in grip and puncture prevention but also don't want anything TOO slow as the bike will occasionally do 50+km rides hence not looking at the wide trail versions of the above.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for good tyre combo's which are available currently?

l

Ooh what are you building up?

I'd suggest a Spez Eliminator 2.6 up front. The 2,6 can be described as very ambitious. It's like a 2,4 in other brands. And spez grid has a good balance of weight vs robustness.

Why not put one of the semi slick tyres on the back like a Spez Slaughter?

I have an Assegaai, Aggressor, Onza Aquila and an Eliminator to chose from in the workshop. The Assegaai is heavy but very grippy. So it gets used for ewc races and shuttle days. My go to is aggressor at the back with the Eliminator up front, but with it being downhill to summer now I reckon a faster rolling tyre in the back is a good idea. Sideways is more fun anyway.

Wtb trailboss rear and vigilante front if you prefer the more agressive tread.

or just get trailboss both sides. Excellent all round tyre, I dreading the day they are not available anymore. Think I bought the last set of mine from bike addict.

1) Eliminator / Slaughter combo for if you want grippy and good rolling all-rounder 

2) Aggressor / Ardent combo for a quicker ride (even an Ardent Race on the back might be a good pick). 

Would really depend on your trails and what you ride. I don't consider an Assagai a trail tire but some do. I think it's very sticky but at the cost of being a very draggy and slow. Some trails are very flat and an aggressive XC style tyre might work best for you. Width is all dependant on what manufactures you go with as it seems no one in the industry can measure the width of a tyre the same. 

• 1 month later...

Very much in the same boat right now. 

I tore a sidewall on the rear on Saturday. Turns out I had the normal snake skin Schwalbe Hans Dampf and I'm not too comfortable with that but I can live with it for now. 

I ended up replacing the set with a Specialized Butcher & Purgatory GRID 2Bliss combo. 2.6 in front and 2.3 in the rear (frame clearance limitation).

While I do like the grip and ability to run a little lower pressure on the front with the 2.6 it does feel like it drags a bit and makes the front a little slow and overall handling a little weird. 

So the question is: 

Do I replace the front with a 2.3 Butcher and sell the 2.6 again?
Do I look at the Scwalbe Magic Mary for the front and run the Hans Dampf on the rear? 

Is there another combination of tyre that is worth looking at? (Other than Maxxis. Not a fan)

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the MTB world but for what it's worth. Alex at Bike Market helped me pick a tyre combo for my TREK. Went with the Forekaster 2.35 in front and the Minion DHS 2.30 in the rear. Bike rolls really fast.

Just ordered a pair of Onza Ibex. Let’s see how it goes. Got good reviews and seems to be super durable.

I had Onza's on my enduro bike (Ibex/Canis) - they were very durable but just suddenly went "off" and the side walls would just get extremely soft and start leaking. I still enjoyed them and would recommend them. I prefer the Maxxis tyres but just impossible to find.