Campagnolo unveil Ekar 1x13 lightweight gravel drivetrain

News bot

Now that more info is available...

I like: traditional freehub that is backwards compatible (a win over sram and shimano), 9 tooth smallest, weight (I'm not a weight weenie but it is a metric people like), clutch AND switch for holding the RD open, new patented BB seals (if they work).

I don't like: it's a first edition (I don't like first editions), very little shaping and lifting on cassette and chain, the complex crank assembly, the thumbies (never liked them) but most of all - the price!

I'm sticking with Shimano's top of the line GRX815 Di2 and keeping the other R8k for now...

I collect books... I'm a sucker for first editions!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah. Hahahaha. HHAHAHAHAHA. HAAAAAHAHAHAHA.

Oh.

You're serious.

That's pretty brave pricing. I know Campy lovers are devoted but that is going to stretch that devotion to the limit!

Thats the distributors keen pricing. And why many who still run Campy buy it from the EU.

Quick Poll:  What do you think will stretch more - their devotion or that 13sp chain  :whistling:

devotion stretches far, chains only to 0.5%

EU1303 works into R26k locally without shipping in a mates suitcase :)

incly Vat its just shy of R30k.

still not a competitive price point to GRX and AXS

I got 1,628EUR using Denmark as my location. Taxes here are great ;-)

Buy it, don't buy it.

I really like it. But I won't buy it. If I had 33k spare I would put some oil in my Landy and put the other 4000zar in my kids school fee fund.

I am not angry that Campy have brought out something that I can't have. I am also not angry when Scott make bikes that look rubbish nor when Swift make bikes that look like a pooing dog.

I also don't judge you if you like pooing Swifts or ugly Scott bikes or ride a DMR saddle. 

Let it go guys. Seriously. Swinging dicks at each other over a new product that almost none of us will ever own just degrades everyone involved

33K is not going to get you much mileage vs volume of oil on the Landy!

EDIT: I see Morne beat me to it.

Buy it, don't buy it.

I really like it. But I won't buy it. If I had 33k spare I would put some oil in my Landy and put the other 4000zar in my kids school fee fund.

I am not angry that Campy have brought out something that I can't have. I am also not angry when Scott make bikes that look rubbish nor when Swift make bikes that look like a pooing dog.

I also don't judge you if you like pooing Swifts or ugly Scott bikes or ride a DMR saddle. 

Let it go guys. Seriously. Swinging dicks at each other over a new product that almost none of us will ever own just degrades everyone involved

Namaste Jewie

The tour has just been won on Campag!!!

First time since IneosSky started winning it in 1935.

Edit: Only 1 Campy team and 2 SRAM teams if memory serves....

So Campy is not big in the Peleton?

Are all the rest of the guys/teams running Shimano?

So Campy is not big in the Peleton?

Are all the rest of the guys/teams running Shimano?

Yup.

To be fair Shimano's marketing arm in pro racing is strong.

There are not many races that Shimano is not involved with. Most of the pro tour teams, all forms of mtb, cyclocross - they do it all.

Yup.

To be fair Shimano's marketing arm in pro racing is strong.

There are not many races that Shimano is not involved with. Most of the pro tour teams, all forms of mtb, cyclocross - they do it all.

comes down to cost too. Shimano's price to their non sponsored trade teams is roughly 70% of what Campy offers to their non sponsored but trade teams. Considering the mileage a pro cyclist runs in a year and how many are on the team this is a significant saving

If you ride your gravel bike to the coffee shop and back, once or twice over a weekend, probably not. 

So BikeRadar tells me about 25H.

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/components/groupsets/groupset-mountain/sram-x01-eagle-axs-wireless-drivetrain-review/

For my last trip I did that would equal 2 days of riding. That makes it every second day in my case. Still a thanks, but no thanks for me. 

For R1280 for a spare battery I'd still keep one, to have that tech in my arsenal. It's USB rechargeable. Simple enough.

Edited by CAAD4

For R1280 for a spare battery I'd still keep one, to have that tech in my arsenal. It's USB rechargeable. Simple enough.

_C50_, on 29 Sept 2020 - 12:07 PM, said:snapback.png

If you ride your gravel bike to the coffee shop and back, once or twice over a weekend, probably not. 

So BikeRadar tells me about 25H.

https://www.bikerada...vetrain-review/

For my last trip I did that would equal 2 days of riding. That makes it every second day in my case. Still a thanks, but no thanks for me. 

Kevin Benkenstein uses one - he seems to ride occasionally.  As a far more occasional rider I love my AXS, charging it once every 2 weeks or so.  I have no doubt I'm going to forget one day, just hope its on a do able chainring otherwise I'm pulling out my other battery operated device, the phone

I think a spare one is a great idea - they are tiny.  I'd need one for stupidity rather than because I've munched the battery from riding too far in one trip

I can put it in my toptube bag where I keep my coffee shop money in case one day I ride where there is a coffee shop.  

Edited by Waynemol