• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From a cleaning perspective, the addition of a plecostomus is always a good option.

not always common pl;eco can be a very big bio load and outlive most of its tank mates .

I miss my tank.

Had a planed tank with a CO2 system. Had a few Discus that my brother gave to me, but they did not like my tank. Had a few Pandas and the coolest fish ever... An Elephant nose fish. Was cool to hand feed the little critter.

Had to sell my tank when Eskom screwed up with load shedding and damaged my pump and lights.

The worst thing was having fish die. I could not get it over my heart seeing a fish circling the drain.

Miss the whole fish thing but with Load shedding an everlasting problem it is not worth it.

Soon as the electricity goes then the filter system packs up and water goes bad very quickly. It's also one of the reasons I stopped having tanks.

Soon as the electricity goes then the filter system packs up and water goes bad very quickly. It's also one of the reasons I stopped having tanks.

The worst thing that happened to me (I had two eels) is that those buggers went up the filter pipes and would hide in the filter. Had a few times where I almost killed them or flushed them down the drain.

I had one of those huge dolphin under tank filter systems.

And man the cost of having a tank...

Got my first aquarium at 10. Rarely been without one since.

Started with tropical, then moved into koi that warped into goldfish, which I even farmed commercially for one season with a friend. Yes we did made our investment back :) - before normal life and the changes got in the way.

Started again with goldfish here in KL with a 450 glass fiber pond on the balcony, but the availability of colour variants of tropical fish and dirt cheap prices won me over to where I started: The outside pond is full of the best guppy blood-lines that I can find - then all thrown together with obvious mixed results :)  Currently I have Albino full reds, Wild full red , Yellow Tuxedo, Harlequin Koi and Full Black Moscow stock.

Inside I have a 5 foot tank with a typical mixed tropical aquarium that holds Angles, Swordtails, Neon Tetras etc.

Something to get used to here: No tank heaters required - all year round. In fact I really struggled to provide enough shade to keep the outside tank cool enough for goldfish. Even brought them inside to the living room for a week during a really hot week. 

The genetic material / color lines available these days for all the life-bearers and bettas for example is absolutely mind-blowing.

Malaysia have big wild/native gourami, arowana and betta populations as well as a healthy ornamental aquaculture production industry - the heat and water available all year round helps... Also a secretive underground betting on betta fighting culture I'm told.

Some examples of what is available here (and probably in SA):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5HX-RFbGZQJSxq3nARdTag/videos

https://www.facebook.com/guppyfishmalaysia/

http://www.fancyguppy.net/

• 2 months later...

Anyone that has had guppies before, ever experience the males jumping out?

I have had 2 somehow jump out in the last 24 hours. I have a canopy but somehow they still got out. Google responses have varied. Some say its natural for them as in the wild they jump to new waters. It's just weird that it has only happened now so I am wondering if something else is wrong. Will do a water check later and make sure but my water has always been good but I got a few new fish on the weekend and of the jumpers one was a new one. All my fish are community fish as well so nothing to chase them.

Also check if there is any stray electrical current.

Best way to find out is to stand barefoot and put your hand in the water. Faulty heaters and light fittings has been some issues for me over the years

Do a 50% water change

I have had 2 somehow jump out in the last 24 hours. I have a canopy but somehow they still got out. Google responses have varied. Some say its natural for them as in the wild they jump to new waters. It's just weird that it has only happened now so I am wondering if something else is wrong. Will do a water check later and make sure but my water has always been good but I got a few new fish on the weekend and of the jumpers one was a new one. All my fish are community fish as well so nothing to chase them.

I have some Pleco wafers for sale

R230 per 150g packet. I purchased the wrong wafers for my LCats.

I'm JHB based and price excludes postage

post-37282-0-29026900-1608279792_thumb.jpg

Never with male guppies. Only females.

Keep an eye for disease/parasites. Even do a treatment by default maybe - Jumping can be triggered by attempting to scratch themselves against things in attempt to get rid of the parasites. 

So I went to the pet shop I get most of my stuff from. There is a lady there that seems very knowledgeable on fish. As soon as I mentioned it she said it's not that uncommon, just you only know it happens when they get out. She reckons the males chase each other when they trying to breed(and they are trying hard but it seems my females are not liss) and the "weaker" ones either try get out or just go hide. She knows what fish I have as I am there fairly often and she asked how my Harlequins were doing. When I said perfectly fine she said then it confirms it's just the guppies trying to show each other who's boss. If it was one of the other fish just being grumpy, it would have chased the harlequins as well.

So I have decided to not replace the males for now(have 4 females and 1 male now), although the one was a very good looking little guy and she has a few more like him left still. I will give it another week or so and then go get something else, thinking some neon tetras or similar.

So I went to the pet shop I get most of my stuff from. There is a lady there that seems very knowledgeable on fish. As soon as I mentioned it she said it's not that uncommon, just you only know it happens when they get out. She reckons the males chase each other when they trying to breed(and they are trying hard but it seems my females are not liss) and the "weaker" ones either try get out or just go hide. She knows what fish I have as I am there fairly often and she asked how my Harlequins were doing. When I said perfectly fine she said then it confirms it's just the guppies trying to show each other who's boss. If it was one of the other fish just being grumpy, it would have chased the harlequins as well.

So I have decided to not replace the males for now(have 4 females and 1 male now), although the one was a very good looking little guy and she has a few more like him left still. I will give it another week or so and then go get something else, thinking some neon tetras or similar.

Lus :thumbup:

We need a pic of that most dominate male in the house :)

Edited by Zatopek