Training wheels for balance bike

T_Boss

Can only concur with what everybody is saying about do not put training wheels on at all.

Also if possible try get one of those black plastic bikes as like has been mentioned already  it really helps them learn handling skills, they really enjoy playing on them  and  bonus they can be ramped into the  deep end of the pool which is great fun. 

Would skip training wheels in any form. The hint is in the name, balance bike. 

When my little one was 18 months he could reach the floor but did not have the balance, but was dead keen on it. So I just pushed him around holding his shoulders.

Can only concur with what everybody is saying about do not put training wheels on at all.

Also if possible try get one of those black plastic bikes as like has been mentioned already  it really helps them learn handling skills, they really enjoy playing on them  and  bonus they can be ramped into the  deep end of the pool which is great fun. 

Have got the black plastic bike (Hers is pink though), and I will be staying away from training wheels of any kind, both now, and when she upgrades to a pedal bike.

I'm in the same boat as you but my daughter is 3 and now wants a bicycle. We checked out most of the balance bikes when she was 2 but they seem to be a bit to heavy for her and then she lost interest. I was going to go the route of a bicycle with training wheels but after reading all the posts that might not be an option anymore. Getting back to the balance bike, which brands would be more suitable for a girl as in weight and size?

The bike is her xmas gift this year so don't want it to be another gift that gets used for 2 weeks and then lies in the playroom with all the other stuff!  :whistling:

I bought a chillafish for my oldest when he turned 2. I got it from CycleLab. They super light. The saddle is adjustable, it has 3(maybe 2?) settings.

EDIT: I got the BMXie

Edited by Long Wheel Base

I guess this is kinda cycling related, if a kiddies balance bike can be considered a Real bike.

My daughter will be 2 in November, but had been obsessed with bike shaped objects from as soon as she could walk. She has the typical trike that can also be pushed by a parent, and the horrible noisy plastic “motorbike” that all kids love. But when she was with me in cyclelab a few weeks back she laid eyes on a the balance bikes, and there was no ways I was leaving without one.

I bought the smallest size one they had, but it’s still a touch too big for her. She can stand over it just just, but is battling to get the balance thing sorted.

So I have 2 questions -

1. Can you get training wheels for the little balance bikes? I asked when I bought it, and the lady helping me said they don’t have and doesn’t think you get for it. But I find that hard to believe.

2. For those with kids that have been through this excercise, at what age should kids be comfortable on a balance bike without any balancing aids?

if the balance bike is too big, she's too small. the stabilisers for that are her legs.

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/y-bike-original-balance-bike-c1066469?gclid=CjwKCAjwn9v7BRBqEiwAbq1Ey4yVUqpMg0G-UtSQBFwgrxZvMtDYmnRAqriWusnyE7PUOEhkpNmy2RoClOUQAvD_BwE

this is between the bp black plastic thing and the steel balance bike.

aaaaan,d here's the thread to get you planning the next 16 years of bike purchases

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/83795-the-official-riding-with-kids-thread/

You just sell (or donate) it on like you would when they outgrow it anyway.

Kind of defeats the purpose of buying a bike then if i'm going to donate or sell it after 2 weeks.

The training wheels aren't there for their safety. Its for parents peace of mind. You can address this with some protection they can wear while riding. Lots of options available. Helmets, knee and elbow pads. Even gloves.

Both my kids started on balance bikes. They become very proficient very quickly without any input from us as parents. And soon you'll be more concerned with reminding them about the brake instead of ruining their shoes. When they transitioned to pedal bikes. I removed the crankset. But was surprised at how quickly they carried their ability to balance to the new sized bikes. After I put the crankset back on so I could teach them to pedal. I remember it took my daughter a single day to learn how to pedal. My son struggled to get off the mark (probably gear ratio) but was able to pedal on his own on the first day too. He just needed me to give him a push for some momentum. Once he got rolling his feet pedaled away.  

Edited by popcorn_skollie

My little dude is 13 months old and he has a tiny little plastic thing with 2 wheels.

He freewheels down the drive, crashes into the garage and then drags the bike back to the top of the apex and does it again and again and again...

He doesn't talk yet so it's difficult to explain to him how to stop without using the garage door!

He will not get any side wheels. He will get a teeny tiny BMX though as soon as possible so we can ride the Argust together on matching bikes.....

Mine does the same with the plastic scooter.

Kind of defeats the purpose of buying a bike then if i'm going to donate or sell it after 2 weeks.

I bought the cheapest balance bike I could find.  It was around R600 bucks, Avalanche something.  If the quality is bad, it is not supposed to last that long anyway.  

For R600, I got a decent piece of bike that will last a couple of kids.  The grips tore on the sides, but that is easy to replace.  The wheels is also not completely true, but the kid doesn't mind at all.

We bought a muna balance bike for our now 5 year old when he turned 2 , took him a while to get the confidence and balance but it made the transition to riding a bike with pedals so much easier.

His brother who turns 2 in November has already got the hang of the balance bike. He cant get enough of it especially when there are nice puddles to ride through.

Those muna bikes aren't exactly cheap but totally worth it as ours has been put through its paces and is still going strong.

We bought a Y-bike Toyni for our 11-month old son last year x-mas and it took him a while to grow into it, but now he jols quite a lot on it around the house. The nice thing is that you can turn the back wheels around to have it more stable with a wider base in the beginning, and then with a narrower base later on which is more like a true balance bike. We will move him over to a balance bike next year after he is 2 and has grown a bit more. The Toyni will be kept in storage for his brother that is coming in January  :whistling:

Also. When she upgrades to a pedal bike, DO NOT USE TRAINING WHEELS. she'll have already learned how to balance and pedalling will be one more thing to learn, instead of learning how to pedal while the bike balances for her. She'll get to the point where she'll have to learn how to balance all over again. Just not worth it.

When you get a child their first bike take the pedals and if possible the cranks off so that they can get used to the new bike as a balance bike. When you see they have got the bike sussed put the cranks and pedals back on

We went from the black plastic scooter to the Y-bike with a single wheel in the back to balance bikes. Bought the first pedal bike this morning on the Hub but will wait a while before I let my boy loose on it. Twins are now just over 3 and have been on the balance bikes for almost 1 and half years