Micro spline or Xd drive

Johny_mtb

If you go Shimano 12-speed, it's best to have Shimano cassette and chain paired. They're designed to work together. I've seen a non-Shimano chain cause shifting problems with a Shimano 12-speed cassette because it can't properly engage the Hyperglide+ ramps on the cassette.

Not sure if it's as an issue the other way around but they are designed to work together more so than 11-speed Shimano was.

Nick. This is not true at all. 12 speed between Shimano and SRAM is the same. So far so that you can run Shimano shifter, SRAM RD. And any cassette.

Designed to work together is marketing speak.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi nick,I want to upgrade to 12 speed but don't really know whats my best affordable reliable option Shimano(Micro spline) or sram(xd drive)

Are you buying wheels or hubs also?

Depending what wheel you have (if you just want to convert a current set) you may or may not even get the freehub you want or need.

1. Make sure which freehub is available to your wheels (skip if you are buying whichever hubs or wheels)

2. decide on your brand of preference.

3. ride it.

generally shimano is cheaper than SRAM in the same tier/level.

Nick. This is not true at all. 12 speed between Shimano and SRAM is the same. So far so that you can run Shimano shifter, SRAM RD. And any cassette.

That is not entirely true.

I would not use a sram shifter with a shimano rear derailleur or the other way around - the indexing may be completely different - so I would confirm this first. 

same goes for cassette and chain combos. It would be bad advise to mix and match if you don't absolutely have to and could be a costly trial and error session with less than ideal shifting performance etc.

If you are buying everything new then just get all the same.

Edited by s14phoenix

The difference in the speed “lost” is 9 rpm.

9 rpm in a 10t is the same spes kmph as 99rpm in the 11t

With the new sunrace 11-52. One can run a 34 up front. Have a better climbing than 32 x 51 and more speed than 32x10

I don't look at RPM - I look at gearing. Similar but different perspective. For what you're saying, I've would have to pedal faster - not ideal.

I'm currently riding XTR 10-51 with 34 up front and considering changing to 36 for JHB riding because up here I can live with 0.71 smallest ratio but the 36 will give me 3.6 on the largest ratio.

Even with a 34 up front, with 11-50 at the back your largest ratio drops to 3.1 where you'll run out of gears very quick on a flat gravel road section.

For coastal riding I would but change higher than 34 because I need the 0.67 small ratio.

Edited by JBK

Agreed - I know lots of people with SRAM AXS now putting on XTR cassette because of the better gear ratios.

Good to know.

I've seen chains not made by SRAM or Shimano cause chaos with shifting on Shimano 12-speed cassettes.

Working is one thing but there really is a difference with the new Hyperglide+ shifting, such as under load shifting. I've watched unmatched combos splutter and skip where matching combos are smooth. 

Is the experience the same regardless of the cassette/chain combo?

Yes the indexing is the same so those are interchangeable. But he’s referring to the cassette/chain combo and the new Shimano hyperglide cassettes working best when used with the shimano chain. I can also attest to this. Other chains work but not as well. Edited by Andy_P

The difference in the speed “lost” is 9 rpm.

9 rpm in a 10t is the same spes kmph as 99rpm in the 11t

With the new sunrace 11-52. One can run a 34 up front. Have a better climbing than 32 x 51 and more speed than 32x10

That has to be wrong.

32x51 is in fact a better climbing gear gear (easier) than 34x52 and 32x10 a faster gear ratio than 34x11.

Edited by Andy_P

Agreed - I know lots of people with SRAM AXS now putting on XTR cassette because of the better gear ratios.

Yes but most likely a XTR chain as well.

This is an important point though. I also believe the ratios are better on the Shimano cassettes. On SLX the 2nd biggest gear is a 45 where I think it’s a 42 on the GX cassette, so it gives you a bit better ‘climbing’ gear when you don’t quite need the granny.

Are you referring to jumps between the sprockets or the overall range?

If it's the overall range the new SRAM cassette is 10-52t?

Albeit the jump on the last one is 42-52t.

Are you buying wheels or hubs also?

Depending what wheel you have (if you just want to convert a current set) you may or may not even get the freehub you want or need.

1. Make sure which freehub is available to your wheels (skip if you are buying whichever hubs or wheels)

2. decide on your brand of preference.

3. ride it.

generally shimano is cheaper than SRAM in the same tier/level.

That is not entirely true.

I would not use a sram shifter with a shimano rear derailleur or the other way around - the indexing may be completely different - so I would confirm this first. 

same goes for cassette and chain combos. It would be bad advise to mix and match if you don't absolutely have to and could be a costly trial and error session with less than ideal shifting performance etc.

If you are buying everything new then just get all the same.

Just becuse you will not do it does not mean you can not

With the 12 speed stuff the indexing the the same, I have tried and tested this. Hence I can say that you can mix and match.

I would say go Shimano, the wear and tear parts are cheaper to replace in the future.

As said earlier the Shimano Cassettes has a better spacing between the gears so you'll climb more comfortably between the 45 and 51 cogs.

Then as mentioned by Nick, the Shimano chain and Cassettes work best together, especially shifting under load.

I've had my SLX/XT setup for more than a year now and it's really been a joy riding.

The jumps in the range between lowest and highest. 

That has to be wrong.

32x51 is in fact a better climbing gear gear (easier) than 34x52 and 32x10 a faster gear ratio than 34x11.

Agreed

The jumps at the climbing end - 42 to 50/52 is absurd.

Why would you want to spend money on a freehub for SRAM or Shimano

SRAM 10-50:    10-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32-36-42-50
SRAM 10-52:    10-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32-36-42-52
Shimano 10-51: 10-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-33-39-45-51
Sunrace 11-51:  11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-33-39-45-51
Gararuk 11-52:  11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-37-44-52

That has to be wrong.

Seems you might right on paper

32 x 50 @ 90 rpm = 8. kmph or 0.64 ratio

34 x 52 @ 90 rpm = 8.2 kmph or 0.65 ratio

32 x 10 @ 90 rpm = 40 kmph or 3.2 Ratio

34 x 11 @ 90 rpm = 38.6pmph or 3.09

Now for those numbers I would not drop 2K on a freebody.