Pinarello Custom Gravel Bike

waynen

So did not get the weight I was looking for - was aiming for 7.5 gravel build but got 7.850kg full build including, bottle cages, pedals and Garmin mount.  With 30mm road tyres the weight will reduce by 300g so I will be at 7.55kg which is not superlight, but then it is a gravel bike..

Some highlights - THM crank set 305g, Berk Saddle 103g Tune Bottle cages 21g for both, Zipp 303 1.39kg incl tape & valves.  

post-98657-0-66637700-1603732661_thumb.jpg

post-98657-0-11596800-1603732675_thumb.jpg

post-98657-0-30874600-1603732685_thumb.jpg

post-98657-0-67968200-1603732695_thumb.jpg

post-98657-0-47777400-1603732709_thumb.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sub 8kg id pretty special in my books. 

The lack of traction etc on a gravel bike on a gravel road will negate the 400g you need to lose!

Rad..... where will we see it in action? Swartberg 100 miler? Round the pot 200 miler?

So did not get the weight I was looking for - was aiming for 7.5 gravel build but got 7.850kg full build including, bottle cages, pedals and Garmin mount.  With 30mm road tyres the weight will reduce by 300g so I will be at 7.55kg which is not superlight, but then it is a gravel bike..

Some highlights - THM crank set 305g, Berk Saddle 103g Tune Bottle cages 21g for both, Zipp 303 1.39kg incl tape & valves.  

Amazing build, there must be about 300g below your stem in spacers and steerer tube... Chop chop and you at your numbers!

Amazing looking machine and as a weight weenie I completely get it but remember that on a gravel bike it’s comfort before anything - look forward to the final photos

Wow thats something special !!  Im curious about 2 things... 1> Is a 42 chain ring pretty standard with gravel bikes?
2> Whats the aprox retail cost?

sub 8kg id pretty special in my books. 

The lack of traction etc on a gravel bike on a gravel road will negate the 400g you need to lose!

Rad..... where will we see it in action? Swartberg 100 miler? Round the pot 200 miler?

First race will be DC, thereafter not sure but would like to do something like the Swartberg 100

Wow thats something special !!  Im curious about 2 things... 1> Is a 42 chain ring pretty standard with gravel bikes?

2> Whats the aprox retail cost?

The mix of 42 in front with 10-52 at the back gives quite a good range.  If you had a 11-32 at the back you may be in a bit of trouble on the climbs with a 42.  Not that I am an expert but that is just my opnion

The mix of 42 in front with 10-52 at the back gives quite a good range.  If you had a 11-32 at the back you may be in a bit of trouble on the climbs with a 42.  Not that I am an expert but that is just my opnion

Ja... I ran a 42 on the front and an 11-46 out back. It was overkill for 99% of the gravel routes I did but was a huge help getting over Swartberg and up some of the really steep connecting roads in and around Cape Town.

The rest I found the 42 to be too small and spent 99% of my time in the bottom 4 gears.

I have switched back to 2x on the gravel bike as it gives me the option of running a tighter spaced cassette with more drive on the big ring but still having a bail out gear (or set of gears) for the steeps and when I get tired.

It's one for the ages though. 2x vs 1x, wheelsize and is steel more comfortable than well layed up carbon?! hahahaha

Where did you source those wheels... they are really nice!!!

Hi Paul

I was very lucky, these rims were only released in May this year and only 2 sets were brought into SA, the day they landed the bike shop (Reform Cycling in Hillcrest Durban) that sourced all my parts was onto the agent and manged to secure me 1 set.

Couple things that make the new 303 really special

25mm internal width (21mm previous)

1.3kg (300g lighter than the previous)

Zipp now give a lifetime replacement guarantee for the first buyer of the wheels, if you crack a rim for any reason whatsoever while riding the bike they will replace it.