iPhone 12 release

Cois

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s been said for some time now that there are many levels of quality to the products coming out of China, some are exceptional and some are cheap and nasty.

Sadly most people have only been exposed to the cheap and nasty so they assume all made in China products are that.

I’ve been a couple of times to visit factories that manufacture fitness equipment. I’ve walked the production lines of factories manufacturing world class equipment as well as factories making junk, sometimes different lines in the same factory.

It’s all about what sells and who they are manufacturing for.

would you want to be the person buying a used phone with a screen repaired at an unknown repair centre ?

You get replacement screens and then you get replacements screens, I have had a phone where I've replaced the screen with an "aftermarket" screen, the results werent so great.

My wife's screen on her iPhone 7 was replaced by one of the Vodacom repair centers for R2k, it was flawless for the next year that she used the phone before selling when she upgraded. The person who bought it works for her and its still going strong.

Like it or not Apple devices are seen as status symbols and many people who cant afford new phones would rather buy a second hand iPhone than a new lower end Android.

It's time for an upgrade and Apple have never given me cause to jump ship. I like having the choice of using the Apple or Google ecosystems as I want since both play nice with the iPhone.

But the networks are forcing my hand. I have to pay R99 for 1Gig on my voice sim while R199 buys 20Gig on a data sim. 600MB is only good for checking the news and a few hub classifieds in 2020 so it seems the only way to actually use my phone is to get a dual sim phone.

The chances of Vodacom enabling the esim on the iPhone and undermining their bizarre data pricing is pretty much zero.

Maybe I will see if the EFF can do a peaceful protest at Vodaworld first.

It's time for an upgrade and Apple have never given me cause to jump ship. I like having the choice of using the Apple or Google ecosystems as I want since both play nice with the iPhone.

But the networks are forcing my hand. I have to pay R99 for 1Gig on my voice sim while R199 buys 20Gig on a data sim. 600MB is only good for checking the news and a few hub classifieds in 2020 so it seems the only way to actually use my phone is to get a dual sim phone.

The chances of Vodacom enabling the esim on the iPhone and undermining their bizarre data pricing is pretty much zero.

Maybe I will see if the EFF can do a peaceful protest at Vodaworld first.

Vodascum will enable the esim but they ask R25 per month. And to be honest that is a rip-off. I have a Telkom 4G account with 20 GB of anytime data, and 20GB off-peak data. And the cost is R199 per month. So would love to use my Telkom account and Vodacom account on one device.

But to pay Vodascum another R25 per month for nothing, does not sit well with me.

Vodascum will enable the esim but they ask R25 per month. And to be honest that is a rip-off. I have a Telkom 4G account with 20 GB of anytime data, and 20GB off-peak data. And the cost is R199 per month. So would love to use my Telkom account and Vodacom account on one device.

But to pay Vodascum another R25 per month for nothing, does not sit well with me.

If they will enable it for R25 I consider it a bargain and will pay with a smile. My understanding is that they only support the esim in the apple watch and galaxy watches.

gotta love the apple fanbois.

love boasting about the share price and company value.

don't realise that them getting ripped off is what got it there!

Never been a fan boy, the opposite actually

BUT

Im typing this from my 6 year old iPad mini while my just as old iPhone 6 is charging

Never had a problem with either, both work flawlessly

I think that’s pretty good, even if it is Apple

Both were bought by the company I worked for at the time.....

BUT

Im typing this from my 6 year old iPad mini while my just as old iPhone 6 is charging

This!!

I’ve still got perfectly working iPhone 6, iPad Air, 2 X Airport Express and even an Gen 1 iPad. All of them still flawless and working.

BUT

Working for now...

Apple is very much into planned obsolescence and are no longer providing updates for either your phone or ipad.

This is a problem because apps you use will require updates to keep working, they wont be able to update because the OS wont be on the latest version.

I have seen this on multiple occasions at the previous company I worked for. Phones used for testing developed apps and macbooks that were deemed too old for updates.

In the case of the macbooks installing Windows or Linux gave them a new lease on life, cant do the same with phones and tablets though.

On the flipside, Apple do support phone upgrades for longer than most Android manufacturers so I guess that is a positive. 

Working for now...

Apple is very much into planned obsolescence and are no longer providing updates for either your phone or ipad.

This is a problem because apps you use will require updates to keep working, they wont be able to update because the OS wont be on the latest version.

I have seen this on multiple occasions at the previous company I worked for. Phones used for testing developed apps and macbooks that were deemed too old for updates.

In the case of the macbooks installing Windows or Linux gave them a new lease on life, cant do the same with phones and tablets though.

On the flipside, Apple do support phone upgrades for longer than most Android manufacturers so I guess that is a positive. 

I noticed this with the iPad 2 that floats around the house. Very little actually still works on it. Little sad because the device itself is still rock solid. 

I noticed this with the iPad 2 that floats around the house. Very little actually still works on it. Little sad because the device itself is still rock solid. 

Yeah, that has been my experience too. 

I have an iPad air2 that is just used as an interface for my home automation, its useless for much other than that now.

My wife has my iPad 2 at work, she uses it for reference images when she is doing cake sculptures.

I get that Apple want to control the software for a user experience but there is a point where I want to make my own decisions and have have them device for me.

If its going to be a sub-optimal experience then that is fine but at least let me decide if I want that rather than having nothing.

Yeah, that has been my experience too. 

I have an iPad air2 that is just used as an interface for my home automation, its useless for much other than that now.

My wife has my iPad 2 at work, she uses it for reference images when she is doing cake sculptures.

I get that Apple want to control the software for a user experience but there is a point where I want to make my own decisions and have have them device for me.

If its going to be a sub-optimal experience then that is fine but at least let me decide if I want that rather than having nothing.

Yup, ebook reader is about all it is good for now.