SRAM Superflow "Enduro" - Strava?

Edge_Design

Guys, it was for fun and there were no prizes.

I don't own a garmin/gps. Would that then make it impossible for me to join in the fun because some people cheated?

Okes, twins each ran half of Comrades so they could win. People cheat. People go through massive lengths to cheat. 

Having a stravaduro was just a way for bikenetwork/tokai/Myles to get some air time and stay relevant. The results don't matter.

Let's not go down this rabbit hole. If I come across rude I'm sorry, but it is petty. 

Be better than the guys who cheated and accept that it honestly doesn't matter and that THEY are the idiots. Right now everyone being petty is as bad as the guys who were petty enough to cheat. You're better than that

This is one hella confusing post.

Bro, look at what you are asking?! 

Look at who Shan Wilson's biggest client base was?

Lance and every cyclist ever...... Do you even cycling bro?!  :ph34r:

Wait even more confusing post.

Its a good ethical debate, remove the strava names and debate the topic rather than pick people's own circumstance. 

We know cheating has been part of cycling since forever, that does not make it right. 

Knowing people that gave up riding as a pro as they were competing against known cheaters and did not want to cheat, so they stepped away. 

I think Edge raised a good topic and question without naming anyone. Especially as times get tougher now thanks to Corona, more and more people are going to face ethical dilemma and discussing ethics in general can only be positive. 

Wait even more confusing post.

You asked what would motivate people to cheat if there were no prizes and then went on to ask what that implies when money/prizes are involved?

I think it makes perfect sense.

Shan's main customers for his juice were vets and non pro age group 'racers' with no prize money.

Throw in prize money and Kev Ev, Davey George, Karmen Buchacha, R R Rourke Cruser, Max Knox, erm....... How many other SA locals caught cheating, then look at international cyclists caught cheating?

To make it Enduro Relevant Richie Rude.

So ja, people cheat. No matter what race. This wasn't even a race. So getting your knickers in a knot about a strava funduro is silly.

Anyway, whatevs.

I didn't enter because I don't make stravas. People cheat and the timing is inaccurate so it's irrelevant  :ph34r:

Strava can only be used as a relative indication of how fast you did a segment as GPS accuracy depends on many things and different variables acting on the signal you receive. I have done a run down Fire Hut, Jonkerhoek using a Suunto watch, Tom Tom and Samsung A7 Cell at the same time....nealy 8sec difference...

As a Navigator at sea, we pay big bucks to GPS providers like Fugro to send us Differential corrections for more accurate positioning. Even then on a good day we have a Position error of 10 to 20cm.

Garmin is a GPS company and probably the best to use...however Tree coverage, tropospheric refraction of gps signals etc etc...all play a role inaccuracy. Strava is just for fun and if the Sun's rays are literally in your favor you could maybe win the KOM

My phone said I did DH3 in 7 minutes something on the 25th because I was too close to the start of the trail while waiting I suspect.

If I had my Polar on me and it gave a proper time would it have been cheating to take the better and probably much more accurate time? 

We can arrange from our friends at iRideAfrica for timing pods, get TokaiMTB buy in and lets do a proper fun timed race.

Count me in as marshal number 1, I'll be more than happy to offer assistance with admin too...

Flamesuit on, those arent entirely accurate either. Been down this road before, not gonna get into  it. However it is one of the better options in the country.

My phone said I did DH3 in 7 minutes something on the 25th because I was too close to the start of the trail while waiting I suspect.

If I had my Polar on me and it gave a proper time would it have been cheating to take the better and probably much more accurate time? 

Yep, that happens often. seams like strava cant establish accurately when you moving and when you not, best is to pause or stop and then start when you take off

I don't think I've seen any discussions about the SRAM Superflow virtual event that took place last weekend.

For those that don't know it was a virtual "event" (just a casual fun thing) with segments measured on Strava creating an Enduro type of race.

For those of us who are regulars in Tokai it was a great opportunity to see if we are actually any good at the trails there and to compare ourselves to others on the same tracks in the same conditions. I was quite excited by the idea even if the only prize is bragging rights.

There's a common argument that Strava isn't accurate enough for something like this, but give or take a second or 2 I've found it to be fairly accurate in the past (with a decent device set to record at a high degree of accuracy). What really confused me is it appears that almost all the top riders actively chose to "cheat" even though there are no prizes available. It's clear that riders were:

• Recording on multiple devices to see which gave the best time
  • Recording on phones which are generally less accurate
  • Intentionally setting the GPS accuracy low so Strava has to guess where you are and when you start/finish a track
  • Taking physical shortcuts which they know Strava can't identify in a segment but which are clear when you analyse their ride
  • Etc

It really irritated me as I had some nice runs and would have liked to see where I stood relative to the other riders but you can't really compare any of the results (to be clear I'm not competing for the win)

Just a little rant - no specific question unless someone has any insight into why people are so desperate for recognition that they cheat.

Flag those F8ckers. Hahaha. They do it to everyone else all the time.

Flag vir daardie Darryn. Hahahaha

Haha!

I was taking my times seriously up until Darryn ripped 12 seconds off me on a segment just over a minute long  :eek:

After that, I changed to "it was just a fun ride..." Which is exactly what it was supposed to be, just fun.

We all know how rubbish Strava is on a micro level, it's only really useful for an overall "roughly where do I fall" picture.

At least I had the weekend's KOM for Mamba to keep my ego inflated   :ph34r: 

I went back and looked now and a lot of the dodgy runs seem to have been removed - there are still a couple but not nearly as many... Maybe I am incorrect and the guys just "cheated" for a bit of fun knowing they wouldn't actually submit those results :thumbup:

I went back and looked now and a lot of the dodgy runs seem to have been removed - there are still a couple but not nearly as many... Maybe I am incorrect and the guys just "cheated" for a bit of fun knowing they wouldn't actually submit those results :thumbup:

I like your optimism! hahaha

It's just a pity they presumably aren't allowed marshals etc out there in which case they could have used more of the trails than they did.

There is a whole world of pain, regulations and not insubstantial cost that pop up if you want an 'official' event in Tokai.

The number of trails used wasn't really anything to do with the format, they were chosen by Myles to fit with the type of event he wanted.

Yep, that happens often. seams like strava cant establish accurately when you moving and when you not, best is to pause or stop and then start when you take off

Yeah it gave me 2.5 minutes on Lizard last week. I know I'm slow but...

Apparently I was faster climbing back up, and that cannot be the case I have the power output of a very old sewing machine.

and you can see where riders were cutting through the bushes (the start of Rinkhals is a good example).

That will be getting blocked off very soon.

But people will be people - guys were short cutting the exit to Cobra so a rock was rolled into place to stop this happening. The result was a new line forming around the rock...

There are now logs there too and I will bet good money it won't be long before somebody removes them.