Hope Tech 3 + 2 piston calipers vs. Current XT M8000

RomP

Enduro / Trail Hubbers !!!!

Please guys need some advice.

Have been riding with Shimano XT M8000 Brakeset for the last 10 months. Always had an issue with modulation ( especially rear brake). Dont get me wrong, XT brakes do their job, but as the pads seem to start wearing out, the rear lever ends up close to grips to have same effect as when the brakes were new. Also the free stroke adjustment screw now all the way in, and brakes seem to only start "gripping" halve way through the pull. I have spend a lot of time reading up on this and it seems its how it is with the XT brakes.

So ive been advised to go for a set op hopes and get it over and done with.

I have the following options:

Tech 3 levers front and rear + X2 calipers ( 2 piston) front and rear.

If budget allows, possibly using the E4 caliper up front.

Ill still be using 180 Shimano rotor up front and 160 Shimano rotor rear untill im able to upgrade to the Hope rotors.

So...what are your thoughts on the hope setup Tech 3 levers + X2 calipers front and rear as a starting point.

Im 95 kgs, "built for speed not endurance" :mellow:  , not a hardcore downhiller, ride at Grootfontein, Wolwespruit, Red barn mostly Trails.

Edited by RomP

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best lever feel in the world bar NOTHING 

However Hope has always come in under powered imo , the X2's are fine if you know how to modulate them but the Xt's will likely make you feel that they are stronger brakes 

e4 front and x2 rear is a great idea imo 

Hope as A whole is a fantastic idea , truely brakes for life 

Never had a days issues with Hope. In fact I bought my current Tech 3 V4s in 2012 and they haven’t been bled once in that time. Just fresh brake pads when needed.

Ample power with the V4 caliper on 203/180 rotors.

In the past I also used the X2 race with 160mm front and back on my rigid hardtail. Good power but not as good as a quad piston.

Bottom line. Hope is just my choice for brakes. Non negotiable.

Hope for me and has been for years, I sell my bikes without brakes if I have to for the sake of keeping them.

I have tried various brakes and models, Shimano, SRAM, Formula etc. I find other brakes too 'bitey', but I must admit anything smaller than a 180mm rotor with my Hope brakes doesn't feel too nice, bigger rotors look better, it is science. 203 F and 180 R and you are all set.

As mentioned, brakes for life. I have two sets I bled my first set after years of use it wasn't even required I just thought damn it has been years. My main bike has been going for 4 years and 100% no bleed.

Brakes are preference, they all good brakes in their own way Hope is just my way.

Never had Hopes of my own, ridden a bike with them and they where really nice. Had XT’s and will never ever go back to them, eish I even put them on my wife’s bike. I suppose that they where better than the avid elixirs before!

Upgraded from the avids to Formula R1 then on to XT, I now know that I left the R1’s due to faulty set up. XT where better for me after that as the setup was better but not perfect as I discovered on a long steep descent ????

Went back to Formula but went Cura, wow! Modulation all there, power all there! Very underrated brake in this country!

Tech 3 v4 are awesome. Major problem - trying to find pads at the moment is impossible globally; whereas Shimano and SRAM have endless supplies locally.

Enduro / Trail Hubbers !!!!

Please guys need some advice.

Have been riding with Shimano XT M8000 Brakeset for the last 10 months. Always had an issue with modulation ( especially rear brake). Dont get me wrong, XT brakes do their job, but as the pads seem to start wearing out, the rear lever ends up close to grips to have same effect as when the brakes were new. Also the free stroke adjustment screw now all the way in, and brakes seem to only start "gripping" halve way through the pull. I have spend a lot of time reading up on this and it seems its how it is with the XT brakes.

So ive been advised to go for a set op hopes and get it over and done with.

I have the following options:

Tech 3 levers front and rear + X2 calipers ( 2 piston) front and rear.

If budget allows, possibly using the E4 caliper up front.

Ill still be using 180 Shimano rotor up front and 160 Shimano rotor rear untill im able to upgrade to the Hope rotors.

So...what are your thoughts on the hope setup Tech 3 levers + X2 calipers front and rear as a starting point.

Im 95 kgs, "built for speed not endurance" :mellow: , not a hardcore downhiller, ride at Grootfontein, Wolwespruit, Red barn mostly Trails.

The BL-M6000 Shimano brakes on my bike seems to be doing the same ... also on the rear

When the first set of pads started wearing the lever pull got excessive. I replaced the pads, but this did not solve the issue.

The bike shop bled the brakes. 200km later the lever was pulling up to the bars ....

Back to the shop ... this time they replaced it under warrantee.

200km later another bleed.

Should reach 200km again this weekend .... hoping for the best, but as a life long Shimano fan I am not confident in these brakes ....

Tech 3 v4 are awesome. Major problem - trying to find pads at the moment is impossible globally; whereas Shimano and SRAM have endless supplies locally.

V4 are downhill calipers

X2 and E4 have tons of pads available here, from many brands

Had Hope X2's on my previous bike: Not too much "bite" but felt great and were so predictable . Even at Haarties when they started to fade (because I'm a sissy and drag them the whole way down), they let you know so you can ride accordingly.

Opposed to my current Guide RSCs that just decide on their own that after a long day they're done with slowing me down and go on strike, leaving me in the nearest bush.

Also had the old XTs. Could never get them working how I liked. Bite point adjustment is more of a placebo affect on Shimanos.

Hopes are full personal preference, but they just work, forever.

Where are you thinking of getting them from BTW?

V4 are downhill calipers

X2 and E4 have tons of pads available here, from many brands

Frana please let me know who has other brands that you know of, as I'm always happy to stockpile pads for my two sets of X2's and M4 Evo's.

Edited by CAAD4

Frana please let me know who has other brands that you know of, as I'm always happy to stockpile pads for my two sets of X2's and V4's.

I've recently bought from AliExpress. A pack of 10 sets for like 250. Sintered. They work really well and even if they don't last as long as OEM ones, they are half the price for 10 as opposed to 1.

If anyone buys off aliexpress, just check what the shipping cost is. At the moment it's ups or dhl only at 1k plus. I would be interested as well if the shipping is reasonable

Myles did you order before or during lockdown? 

Frana please let me know who has other brands that you know of, as I'm always happy to stockpile pads for my two sets of X2's and M4 Evo's.

Cogent sells braking pads, they have been excellent for me

Galfer pads should also be available from most of the jhb based shops

I'll take a set of 10 from Ali to try out

So start a group chat if anyone else wants to do a bulk order

I would definitely be interested.