Hope Tech 3 + 2 piston calipers vs. Current XT M8000

RomP

If anyone buys off aliexpress, just check what the shipping cost is. At the moment it's ups or dhl only at 1k plus. I would be interested as well if the shipping is reasonable

Myles did you order before or during lockdown? 

before, early this year or something. I'm not sure. 

Look, even with shipping at a high price, it still works out at a damn steal. I

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SRAM Guide G2. 

pick your budget and stick to the service intervals.

Of the Hope and XT I'll take the Hope. They last forever. Not the most powerful brakes around though but they last forever and look great on any bike. Who needs brakes anyway, the point of going fast is to not stop

Had Hope X2's on my previous bike: Not too much "bite" but felt great and were so predictable . Even at Haarties when they started to fade (because I'm a sissy and drag them the whole way down), they let you know so you can ride accordingly.

Opposed to my current Guide RSCs that just decide on their own that after a long day they're done with slowing me down and go on strike, leaving me in the nearest bush.

Also had the old XTs. Could never get them working how I liked. Bite point adjustment is more of a placebo affect on Shimanos.

Hopes are full personal preference, but they just work, forever.

Where are you thinking of getting them from BTW?

Not Sure yet ./..any recommendations ?

SRAM Guide G2. 

pick your budget and stick to the service intervals.

Of the Hope and XT I'll take the Hope. They last forever. Not the most powerful brakes around though but they last forever and look great on any bike. Who needs brakes anyway, the point of going fast is to not stop

From the mast, down towards Conties .... damn ... not nice when the lever keeps getting closer to the handle bar ...  :eek:   :ph34r:

I'm never gonna badmouth Hope....

But, if you want maximum modulation and power for your money I don't think there is anything on the market that comes close to Formula Cura. I have the 2 pot version on my one bike, 4 pot on the other. I am very happy with both. The 2 has more than enough power and modulation but if you have the cash spring for the 4s. The lever feel on the 4 is much better. 

I can go into a ton of detail, but the long and the short of it is that I will buy another set without a doubt when am in the market for brakes again. 

All the Shimano's I've had are poo. Same goes for Sram (but they are older brakes, so cannot comment at all on the newer brakes which do look really nice). As for Hope, I have never owned a pair, but have ridden them before - same experience as others, very nice modulation but I find them a bit underpowered. If I am paying that sort of money I want ALL the power and ALL the modulation. They would get a nay from me. 

I had the tech3 levers on the 4pot calipers. I really liked them but they were pikey red and I sold them with my Jeffsy.

They are cool brakes, super adjustable, easy to bleed, fit and forget parts.

I replaced them with black Shimano Zee 4 pots. To be honest I prefer the Shimano's, BUT they are super basic compared to the Hopes, not as easy to service/fix and have almost zero adjustment.

I don't mind. They have great modulation and they stop me a bit better.

If they had been black I probably would have kept them. But alas....

I sold a pair of Hope M4's and bought a set of TRP Slates.

Yes that happened!

Words cannot describe how utterly ************** ********** *********** ********* ********** useless the Slates were. Worse than the first gen Avid Elixirs. 

There's a reason everyone who buys their own brakes in Morzine run Hope.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I sold a pair of Hope M4's and bought a set of TRP Slates.

Yes that happened!

Words cannot describe how utterly ************** ********** *********** ********* ********** useless the Slates were. Worse than the first gen Avid Elixirs. 

There's a reason everyone who buys their own brakes in Morzine run Hope.

So you "cheaped" out instead of getting the Quadiems :( But yeah, most ppl have NOT been happy with the Slates. Recently a mate is loaning another mate's bike and it has Slates...He got serious fade out Rhodes mem side one not very long trails. Coming off his current gen Codes he was very underwhelmed too with them.

Any reason why you didn't do Quadiem, or was it simply the mass?

Moved from the Zee's like Jewwie has to the Quadiems and so far I am much preferring the Quadiems. Similar power but there is WAY more modulation. And hell, they can sill be had for about ~R3100 with rotors!

Edited by Thermophage

I think we are 4

Yeah I did the order for Myles and a bunch of us a while back.

I'd ridden the exact pads in my Zees for the first Kingdom enduro back in 2018 through the ultra mud connies and the pads were amazing and lasted a got 6 months post the event too.

Anyway, long story short, we ordered more and tried to get the same pads again. Seemed they were the same, on paper. Turns out they are not, well not IMO anyway. They are still rad, especially considering the low price. But now a pair lasts me about a month before I dont like the feel anymore. That being said, I may just more more sensitive or ride more (hurr hurr hurr) than Moogle :P

Still definitely worth a try. I think we paid $9 for 4 PAIRS of pads.

However, locally now, the Quaxar E-bike pads seem the absolute best bang for buck.

So you "cheaped" out instead of getting the Quadiems :( But yeah, most ppl have NOT been happy with the Slates. Recently a mate is loaning another mate's bike and it has Slates...He got serious fade out Rhodes mem side one not very long trails. Coming off his current gen Codes he was very underwhelmed too with them.

Any reason why you didn't do Quadiem, or was it simply the mass?

Moved from the Zee's like Jewwie has to the Quadiems and so far I am much preferring the Quadiems. Similar power but there is WAY more modulation. And hell, they can sill be had for about ~R3100 with rotors!

Ja...... What can I say? Buy cheap buy twice.

I had a little finger of quadiems last weekend and IMO they are in a different hemisphere to Slates. The lever feel feels a bit like the older gen codes which is a good thing. And the build quality looks good. I can't comment on the power.

Ja...... What can I say? Buy cheap buy twice.

I had a little finger of quadiems last weekend and IMO they are in a different hemisphere to Slates. The lever feel feels a bit like the older gen codes which is a good thing. And the build quality looks good. I can't comment on the power.

So having paid the school fees ... what would you buy, if you had to buy now (assuming stock was not an issue)

So having paid the school fees ... what would you buy, if you had to buy now (assuming stock was not an issue)

Price vs performance...Hands down the TRP Quadiems, they are like half the price of the Hope E/V4's (at most places). They use the same pads as Shimano Saint/Zee anyway so pad availability is easy.

If price wasn't an issue...Hope Tech 3 V or E4 because I have a thing for them and they are very very good brakes and spares are incredible. They are plenty powerful enough and the adjustability (IF you use it) is great.

The SRAM Code's are also an option, probably the RS, but as with the Hopes..$$$.