The Munga 2020

JohanDiv

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another 2 riders off route.... :eek:

Saw that, every year I question whether it's a Garmin problem or concentration issue. Let's hope that they realise the problem before they go too far down that road.

Anyone know what is going on with Gregor von Medeazza?

Edit: Could just be timing chip, but not sure.

Edited by Roul

looking at the wind mast near strydenburg, (just north of Britstown WP4) it is currently a very slight headwind

Currently 5 riders ahead of the race record after 75km.

Chasing the race record marker is far from an exact science, I'm not sure how it accounts for the stops (Ramses?) took, and obviously the route is different.

although it just tells us who is currently faster than the eventual record breaker on day 1.

Saw that, every year I question whether it's a Garmin problem or concentration issue. Let's hope that they realise the problem before they go too far down that road.

Could be either - but concentration can be a cause. There is one turn on day one that is very easy to miss - random gate beside the road. Even with my Garmin, I went past it and only spotted being off track 200m or so beyond while coasting along the gravel road. This looks like the same spot these guys went wrong. I hope they backtrack - under the rules when I rode, I'm sure you had to backtrack to where you went wrong not just loop back onto the route. Hopefully they just get a time penalty rather than a full DQ

Edited by walkerr

looking at the wind mast near strydenburg, (just north of Britstown WP4) it is currently a very slight headwind

Chasing the race record marker is far from an exact science, I'm not sure how it accounts for the stops (Ramses?) took, and obviously the route is different.

although it just tells us who is currently faster than the eventual record breaker on day 1.

I think it tracks Ramses including the stops (and there weren't many) and I'm not sure that this part of the course has been changed. Nonetheless, it's all relative and last year no one was ahead of the marker so I would say that they are quicker at this stage of the race.

Could be either - but concentration can be a cause. There is one turn on day one that is very easy to miss - random gate beside the road. Even with my Garmin, I went past it and only spotted being off track 200m or so beyond while coasting along the gravel road. This looks like the same spot these guys went wrong. I hope they backtrack - under the rules when I rode, I'm sure you had to backtrack to where you went wrong not just loop back onto the route. Hopefully they just get a time penalty rather than a full DQ

They have indeed just looped back onto the route and their detour seems to have added to the distance so let's hope it's just a time penalty. Two years back I drove some of the route from Loxton to Bloem and could see from the tracks where guys went off route, but it became pretty clear after a while that there were no new tire tracks and you could see where the guys turned around. These guys just bombed along :eek:

Navigating (even with a GPS) is a skill. it's part of the race. going fast in the wrong direction is slow

There is a farm house just off the route at WP1, probably a rest and replenish point.

This looks more like a navigation error.

I checked on Google maps and there is a farmhouse there

e3bb6fac31f93a10084a4140a5e33081.jpg

Edited by Chip

Possibly - but the rules state (or used too) that if you go off route you must backtrack to the place you left the route. You're not allowed to carry on to get back on route.

Edit - nope, still same rules

12. RACE ROUTE

1. All riders have to follow the designated Race route and may not deviate therefrom in any circumstances whatsoever.
  2. If a rider inadvertently leaves the Race route, he has to return to the Race route at the same point at which he left it.

Wasn't shorter tho, so probably just a penalty

Edited by walkerr

I checked on Google maps and there is a farmhouse there

e3bb6fac31f93a10084a4140a5e33081.jpg

Oh, definitely there is a farm at the WP1 - you're right on that. But the apparent route mishap for the 2 guys was after that:

post-6347-0-18874600-1606924617_thumb.png

Interestingly a bit later on, two of the Ambos were at the same area of the off route part - adding to the intrique a bit ;)

Anyhow, sure Alex and the guys will take a common sense line - anyone well outside the podium they are usually pretty fair and just slap with a penalty, which in this case would be pretty minimal.

Race is shaping up nicely at the front, although my eyes are more at the back where a few buddies are riding. Those guys will fight some tough battles these next few days against time, weather, dust etc

Edited by walkerr

Oh, definitely there is a farm at the WP1 - you're right on that. But the apparent route mishap for the 2 guys was after that:

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Interestingly a bit later on, two of the Ambos were at the same area of the off route part - adding to the intrique a bit ;)

Anyhow, sure Alex and the guys will take a common sense line - anyone well outside the podium they are usually pretty fair and just slap with a penalty, which in this case would be pretty minimal.

Race is shaping up nicely at the front, although my eyes are more at the back where a few buddies are riding. Those guys will fight some tough battles these next few days against time, weather, dust etc

The rules on nav errors and alternate routes have often been applied seemingly at random.

So now there is provision for that. Makes sense but opens subjectivity

These rules serve as a guidleine for both riders and the Race Director and Commissaire. For the riders, they should use these rules to develop a good understanding of the criteria through which fairness is applied. For the Race Director and Commissaire, these rules will inform and guide their thinking into making a fair decision when dealing with rule infringes and contraventions. The Race Director will use a Dual Principle Approach (DPA) in deciding what is a fair decision. The two principles in the DPA are the letter of the law and the spirit or motivation behind the contravention. The following describes what these two principles are about:

1. The letter of the law: This is the actual rules document that break down the various rules and contructs and consequent penalties. So what does the rule specifically say and what is its intention?

2. The spirit or motivation of the offence: This means what was motivating the individual when he broke a rule? Was it a complete accident, or was he intentionally trying to obtain an unfair advantage?

In using the DPA, the Race Director will look at both aspects. Obvioulsy the first will be easy to determine as the rules document lays out the law so to speak. The second one is harder to determine but the Race Director, along with the Commissaire and any other person that the Race Director deems relevant in the specific case, will assess what motivated the rider when he broke a rule. Using both principles, the Race Director will then make a call whether the infraction has been unfair to other competitors or not, and whether the rider in question has gained an advantage. The ultimate objective is to make a fair decision. The rules are subservient to the principle of fairness. In addition, the Munga is a semi-supported race and as such, there are some unique elements to the Race. This means the parameters and rules need to be clearly defined, appreciated and understood by all riders. It is the rider’s responsibility to make sure he is familiar with and understands all of the Rules and the implications thereof, as well as the DPA. If a rider is unclear about any of the Rules, the onus is on the rider to contact the Race organizer and seek clarity.

That gate must be very easy to miss this year:

post-6347-0-93427100-1606928706_thumb.png

3 riders now who have passed it. Although much more easily done at the tail without other riders around you. Gotta feel for Pierre now slogging back on himself - not the way you want to start your 1st day.

That gate must be very easy to miss this year:

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

3 riders now who have passed it. Although much more easily done at the tail without other riders around you. Gotta feel for Pierre now slogging back on himself - not the way you want to start your 1st day.

Added to the fact that he seemed to have technical and there was a lot of walking before WP1.