The Munga 2020

JohanDiv

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at Johan's pics (thanks Johan!) there seem to be very few gravel bikes. Is the route a bit rough/sandy for them or are MTBs favoured due to suspension helping to reduce fatigue?

I know after 100km on my gravel bike I'm pretty fatigued if the route is rough. Couldn't even imagine after 1000km!

Edited by NC_lurker

I see Benky is leading Hansie and Brian by about 2km, just through Petrusville now.

The chasing pack seems to take it slow at Vanderkloofdam at the moment. Taking a bit of a rest at Vanderkloof tonight would've been the plan for a large portion of the mungrels I assume..

I was rooting for Heinrich Visser, ... earlier this afternoon he was still on the heals of the front-runners, but something must have gone wrong, .... see he is 50km back now, wonder if he also had a mechanical?

I was rooting for Heinrich Visser, ... earlier this afternoon he was still on the heals of the front-runners, but something must have gone wrong, .... see he is 50km back now, wonder if he also had a mechanical?

eish ... just had a look at Heinrich's log ... looks like he has been walking for 2 hours ... hope he is up and running soon again?

post-20017-0-11209300-1606943501_thumb.png

As if the race isn't tough enough ... Looks like Heinrich made it to Rest Village 1 after nearly 4 hours and 13km of walking. Hopefully he can get the bike sorted there .... I take my hat off to these guys for their perseverance and determination. 

post-20017-0-77683300-1606948798_thumb.png

post-20017-0-75998700-1606948807_thumb.png

As if the race isn't tough enough ... Looks like Heinrich made it to Rest Village 1 after nearly 4 hours and 13km of walking. Hopefully he can get the bike sorted there .... I take my hat off to these guys for their perseverance and determination.

Crazy!!

He is back on the move!!!

As if the race isn't tough enough ... Looks like Heinrich made it to Rest Village 1 after nearly 4 hours and 13km of walking. Hopefully he can get the bike sorted there .... I take my hat off to these guys for their perseverance and determination. 

post-36629-0-19430600-1606965475_thumb.jpg

Edited by gemmerbal

I see Tinus who won with Benky last year is still in Vd Kloof.

Doesnt seem to be going well.

Edited by Vetseun

Looking at Johan's pics (thanks Johan!) there seem to be very few gravel bikes. Is the route a bit rough/sandy for them or are MTBs favoured due to suspension helping to reduce fatigue?

I know after 100km on my gravel bike I'm pretty fatigued if the route is rough. Couldn't even imagine after 1000km!

Apparently it’s hugely corrugated in places. I spoke to Myles van Musschenbroek the other day and he reckons you’d need to be some kind of a mad man to do it on a gravel bike!

Apparently it’s hugely corrugated in places. I spoke to Myles van Musschenbroek the other day and he reckons you’d need to be some kind of a mad man to do it on a gravel bike!

Ja Maybe a guy that can hit it in two days.

But a back marker on a gravel bike will suffer.

I saw a few gravel bikes at the start with very narrow and very inflated tyres.

There is a long section between Loxton and Sutherland that is really bad.

Edited by Vetseun

Possibly our Karina for this year.

Pierre Oosthuisen or Dirt Rider as we know him here.

attachicon.gif1606966151338.jpeg

At first I thought he had a mechanical but it seems as if he is struggling to get a rhythm going. Anyway he is about to reach WP2 and hopefully he can join up with the 2nd last rider Patsy Nakell for some motivation.