Kommetjie - Western Cape

Bundu Ric

Kommetjie itself is still pretty safe it is the roads out of it that is the issue especially with them being low on regular traffic fromĀ finance homework.

Yes OV is problematic due to drug and gang related violence. However a number of church and faith based NPO's are hard at work to address the underlying issues that lead to the aforementioned violence. To write of the community just because of a few bad apples is somewhat unfair.

So you say its pretty safe for a newbie ??

Edited by simonss22

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you say its pretty safe for a newbie ??

Kommetjie is yes. Outside of Kommetjie extreme caution is required hence my advice to stay in Kommetjie or to ride at other venues.

Good day all,Ā 

Ā 

We will be down in Kommetjie in the Western Cape and I was wondering if anyone knows of any gravel road or beginner trails in the area?

Ā 

As per my intro I only started MTB a week ago so for me it is gravel roads and easy trails to get into the swing of things.Ā 

Ā 

I did do a search and went through the trails thread but cant seem to pick up anything for the Kommetjie area.

Ā 

Thanks

Just be careful out there...Be vigilant!!

Kommetjie is yes. Outside of Kommetjie extreme caution is required hence my advice to stay in Kommetjie or to ride at other venues.

How safe is the climb out of Kommetjie to the south in the direction of Misty cliffs?

Ā 

Is that also a no-go route as it opens up routes to Cape Point?

How safe is the climb out of Kommetjie to the south in the direction of Misty cliffs?

Ā 

There have been a number of incidents both on the road involving cyclists and the hiking route above it afaik. Nothing recent but I'd still advise being very very cautious about riding up it because of it's isolation.

Ā 

We had a house in Scarbs and I did that route to the Kommetjie Cafe for milk and bread on my bike.

I think there have been a number of incidents along that road which is a shame because its a stunning little road.

Was it not somewhere along here that that surfer was attacked and killed?

As most of the guys have said it is best to avoid riding around that area at the moment.

Tokai was suggested and has a few beginner friendly trails - Fairy Garden, Your Roots and Lizard are all green graded and will be fine for a beginner and if you are feeling confident then the blue graded Vasbyt and Boomslang are good with no unavoidable obstacles.

Load up Trailforks on your phone to help you find your way around the trails.

Ā 

https://www.trailforks.com/region/tokai-forest-mtb-trails/

Ā 

As per Duane the greenbelt is a good beginner territory.

Ā 

https://www.trailforks.com/region/constantia-greenbelt-17002/

Ā 

Another recomendation would be to spend a day at the Bike Park at Uitsig, you will learn a lot while having fun.

Ā 

https://bikeparkatuitsig.co.za/gallery/

Ā 

Thanks for the feedback, downloaded Trailforks and that will definitely also help as we make our way down to the Western Cape.

We had a house in Scarbs and I did that route to the Kommetjie Cafe for milk and bread on my bike.

I think there have been a number of incidents along that road which is a shame because its a stunning little road.

Was it not somewhere along here that that surfer was attacked and killed?

Oh and PS....The Argus used to follow this route in days gone by.

There is a hairy corner at speed dropping down into Kommetjie

Ā 

I am a beginner, I will steer clear of hairy corners for the foreseeable future.Ā  :w00t:

I am a beginner, I will steer clear of hairy corners for the foreseeable future.Ā  :w00t:

Its fine....just take it easy.

That brings back some pleasant memories. Had to smile just thinking back to being a laaitie and having to wait for there to be a break before I could sneak across the road to go buy the Sunday Times for my dad to read. Must've been eight or nine at the time, can't really recall when the Argus stopped going through Kommetjie though. So roughly 91/92, thereabouts?

Ā 

Also when I started cycling I often used to use Slangkop as part of a loop that either took round the peak and back into Kommetjie or all the way to Simon's Town and back via Red or Black Hill. The later would become more prevalent the more confident I became. That descent into Kommetjie is good fun though if you ready and prepared for that blind corner given how bumpy the road surface is.Ā 

.....Must've been eight or nine at the time, can't really recall when the Argus stopped going through Kommetjie though. So roughly 91/92, thereabouts?

Ā 

I rode my first Argus in '92 and it still went over Slangkop. I think it might've changed in about '96/97 as it was about then that the finish moved from Maiden's Cove to Greenpoint.

I rode my first Argus in '92 and it still went over Slangkop. I think it might've changed in about '96/97 as it was about then that the finish moved from Maiden's Cove to Greenpoint.

Finish moved to Maiden's Cove in 1989.

Ā 

Slangkop/Kommetjie were by-passed through Ocean View from 2000, the first of the Detour years over Oukaapseweg, and never made it back when Chappies re-opened in 2004 and the finish moved to Greenpoint.

Ā 

Slangkop/Kommetjie were by-passed through Ocean View from 2000, the first of the Detour years over Oukaapseweg, and never made it back when Chappies re-opened in 2004 and the finish moved to Greenpoint.

Thanks for clearing it up, given that I rode all those I should've remembered! Totally forgot about the detour tours.

I blame the lack of Strava data for my incorrect info..

Ā 

What are you? Some sort of cycling magazine or something?