Kommetjie - Western Cape

Bundu Ric

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning all, 

Quick question, at Silvermine Loop in Tokai, is there like a coffee shop or something where the wife can chill while I ride?

And then, the entrance ticket, is that purchased there at the gate?

Thanks

Morning all, 

Quick question, at Silvermine Loop in Tokai, is there like a coffee shop or something where the wife can chill while I ride?

And then, the entrance ticket, is that purchased there at the gate?

Thanks

Tickets at entrance gate, or at Tokai Forest Entrance gate, closest coffee stop is at Steenberg Village shopping centre or near Tokai Roundabout, (Trail n Tar or Bootleggers Top of Tokai Main Road). Not sure if there is anything inside near the trail itself...

Edit: Forgot about Uitsig Winefarm, there's a string of restaurants and coffee shops in there as well as Chris Nixon's Uitsig Bike Park, worth a visit anyway! (Off Sphaanschemacht River Road near Firgrove Road intersection)

Edited by capediver

Thanks a mill, I think that is good enough for her to kill some time while I ride. 

Much appreciated. 

Tickets at entrance gate, or at Tokai Forest Entrance gate, closest coffee stop is at Steenberg Village shopping centre or near Tokai Roundabout, (Trail n Tar or Bootleggers Top of Tokai Main Road). Not sure if there is anything inside near the trail itself...

Edit: Forgot about Uitsig Winefarm, there's a string of restaurants and coffee shops in there as well as Chris Nixon's Uitsig Bike Park, worth a visit anyway! (Off Sphaanschemacht River Road near Firgrove Road intersection)

Thanks a mill, I think that is good enough for her to kill some time while I ride. 

Much appreciated. 

Here's a plan....ask your SO to drop you off at the Silvermine Loop trail, putter around the dam, then afterwards divert to the top again, down Donkey Trail into Tokai trails network, all the way down through Tokai MTB via DH 2 and 3 and out the Tokai Forest gate and meet her at Bootleggers in Tokai.....! Thank me later!

Much appreciated. 

Pay the Village Hub a visit. It's in Scarbourough. Some hand made bicycles by Dave Stubbs (local surfboard shaper) and the owner is a big cyclist.

There's also a deli in Kommetjie with a nice little coffee shop.

Thanks, actually starting to look forward to the trip, seems like there are some gems and that both the wife and I will find things of interest.  :)

Pay the Village Hub a visit. It's in Scarbourough. Some hand made bicycles by Dave Stubbs (local surfboard shaper) and the owner is a big cyclist.

There's also a deli in Kommetjie with a nice little coffee shop.

Thanks, actually starting to look forward to the trip, seems like there are some gems and that both the wife and I will find things of interest. :)

If like beer the Green Room makes their own, iirc. Fisherman's pub/restaurant makes good pizzas.

Kommetjie, for a small village, packs in a lot of variety.

• 1 month later...

Reviving and not so old thread, where do you park and access the Lower Tokai Loop from?

https://www.trailforks.com/region/constantia-greenbelt-17002/?activitytype=1&z=13.4&lat=-34.04554&lon=18.43569

This seems like the best start for the wife as per trail forks it seems to be just under 4k's and with about 45m in elevation. 

As most of the guys have said it is best to avoid riding around that area at the moment.

Tokai was suggested and has a few beginner friendly trails - Fairy Garden, Your Roots and Lizard are all green graded and will be fine for a beginner and if you are feeling confident then the blue graded Vasbyt and Boomslang are good with no unavoidable obstacles.

Load up Trailforks on your phone to help you find your way around the trails.

https://www.trailforks.com/region/tokai-forest-mtb-trails/

As per Duane the greenbelt is a good beginner territory.

https://www.trailforks.com/region/constantia-greenbelt-17002/

Another recomendation would be to spend a day at the Bike Park at Uitsig, you will learn a lot while having fun.

https://bikeparkatuitsig.co.za/gallery/

Edited by Bundu Ric

Dont worry I think I figured it out by looking at Trailforks and Google Maps. 

Just not to sure if this is a reserve and if I need to buy permit / ticket?

Dont worry I think I figured it out by looking at Trailforks and Google Maps.

Just not to sure if this is a reserve and if I need to buy permit / ticket?

Nope but it does lead to SANParks land though but only once you cross Southern Cross Drive. Not 100% sure about Lower Tokai though so maybe steer clear of it.