Tried To Support Local Bike Shop -Eagle Canyon Cycles

rorydewet

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Northcliff cycles for sure........they have gone out of their way on many occasions to help me out, even taking a complete wheel from the shelf recently to assist me as shimano hub spares are a problem at the moment............

Edited by coppi

The best advice can be found here right on Bikehub...no need for LBS. As for doing services and repairs there is again the knowledge right here on Bikehub and with some Youtube video's you will be able to do it yourself.

Just need to source some tools and as for parts shop around for the best price.

Why not fit a different wheel and your wife should be able to ride for the time being. It seems like something is wrong with your freehub, maybe just requires a service. R3 000 for parts seems a bit excessive. 

It depends. Most of the times this indicates that the freehub bearings have collapsed and caused damage inside. In most cases the whole freehub needs to be replaced. In more severe cases the whole hub.

This is why I service my own bikes. And when I can't, I usually tell the bike mechanic exactly what is wrong, but that I do not have the skills or the tools to fix it.

Surely though, you also knew about the issue? I cannot belief the issue just manifested itself when the bike was at the shop? Do not expect all bike mechanics to be pre-emptive when servicing bikes.

Edited by Moridin

i remember when eagle canyon 1st opened and they used to have demo stand at the rand show was a goos lbs then . after they 1st sold it was never the same .

i remember when eagle canyon 1st opened and they used to have demo stand at the rand show was a goos lbs then . after they 1st sold it was never the same .

I almost never trust second owned businesses.

They most probably bought the business because it made money. First owners usually starts a business because they have a passion.

I almost never trust second owned businesses.

They most probably bought the business because it made money. First owners usually starts a business because they have a passion.

true

Reading this makes me so thankful for the exceptional service that I get from the guys at Mellow Velo. I'm there at least 3 days a week for odds and ends and I almost always have at least one bike booked in at any given time.

There definitely sounds like some sh1tty service here, but the OP must carry some blame. Getting a minor/major service is not like buying a bottle of all gold tomato sauce-every lbs will offer a different range of service. Always ask what is covered by a service, and if you feel there is something else that warrants a look at, inform the lbs.

R580 for a major service-if the OP has ever done some maintenance on his bike, he would know that getting a major service at that price is basically impossible.

Here in Canada I got my fork serviced-CAD180 (just over R2k). But the going rate for a skilled laborer is CAD100, and I know the total time spent on the fork is over an hour, plus parts, so it seems to add up.

Everyone acknowledges bike prices rival that of cars, so I don’t see a reason why a bike service should not be in the ballpark of a car service. But let’s be honest, how many South Africans will be willing to pay for that. Does a skilled (trained and qualified) bike mechanic deserve to earn 10% of a lawyer’s salary just because he was not been through tertiary education and only in possession of a trade qualification?

You get what you pay for (I’m general)

I beg to differ, whether minor or major service, before giving it back, make sure everything works that way you can advise the owner that certain parts need to be serviced or replaced or the bike is in perfect working order. Bad service on their side.

There definitely sounds like some sh1tty service here, but the OP must carry some blame. Getting a minor/major service is not like buying a bottle of all gold tomato sauce-every lbs will offer a different range of service. Always ask what is covered by a service, and if you feel there is something else that warrants a look at, inform the lbs.

R580 for a major service-if the OP has ever done some maintenance on his bike, he would know that getting a major service at that price is basically impossible.

You are correct ... and also totally wrong ....  :whistling:

YES - a Major service costs significantly more (for the typical MTB).

BUT, with thousands of new riders .... MOST new riders are totally clue-less as to the real costs, never mind what a "minor" or a "major" service includes,  or rather, what these SHOULD include.

Look at bike workshops such a Knipe_Racing and Mark's Workshop .... you take your bike in for a service, and they ASK some pertinent questions to help you decide on the type of service.  They do NOT try to up-sell their service !!  Most often my bikes go to them for a "minor service", and they provide FULL feedback on what needs to be looked at, at the next service, or what should be looked at sooner.  Over many years, they have missed one item, which failed a few weeks later.

To me the problem starts with the PURCHASE of the bike ... at this point the bike shop really should take a few minutes to inform the buyer about "recommended service intervals" for various systems/components on the bike.

I have read so many articles on the Hub about the 100-hour service for the fork .... I have NEVER heard this from a bike shop (specifically talking about the sales side).   NOTE - I fully agree that these regular maintenance services ARE good practice !!!  Sadly new riders are typically not informed of these requirements ....

I now take my bike to the dealer workshop for a "service as per the hours logged" (with the ebike they can see exactly how much I have ridden) ..... I take it home, check it over myself - and switch on the derailure clutch etc  :wacko:  :thumbdown:  .....  Ideally I do all my servicing myself, and only take my bike to Mark to service the suspension.

Wimma's offer to help the OP is the best option.  Even if they end up just finding that the hub bearings are shop, it will remove the "mystery" of working on your own bike.  Best case they fix it, and the OP is in the position to do as much as he want to himself in future.  Let's not forget, many people dont want to service their own bikes, for a wide range of reasons.  Still nice to know enough to do emergency repairs when needed.

It depends. Most of the times this indicates that the freehub bearings have collapsed and caused damage inside. In most cases the whole freehub needs to be replaced. In more severe cases the whole hub.

This is why I service my own bikes. And when I can't, I usually tell the bike mechanic exactly what is wrong, but that I do not have the skills or the tools to fix it.

Surely though, you also knew about the issue? I cannot belief the issue just manifested itself when the bike was at the shop? Do not expect all bike mechanics to be pre-emptive when servicing bikes.

Hi mate

I myself didn't know about the issue. Its the wife's bike. Wife and bikes and for that matter cars are all a no no. Her expectation is i get on, get it and it should all work. If there are small issues small noises who cares. It works, until it doesnt.

If it doesn't its my fault and I need to fix it. Enough of that line though just now wife reads this and Im back sleeping in the dog box.

Serious though nothing wrong with bike when it went in for service, lots wrong after.

Is that the LBS problem I cant say with certainty yes, as that would be naïve.

My main gripe is after service did they not even ride the bike.

Edited by rorydewet

Here in Canada I got my fork serviced-CAD180 (just over R2k). But the going rate for a skilled laborer is CAD100, and I know the total time spent on the fork is over an hour, plus parts, so it seems to add up.

Everyone acknowledges bike prices rival that of cars, so I don’t see a reason why a bike service should not be in the ballpark of a car service. But let’s be honest, how many South Africans will be willing to pay for that. Does a skilled (trained and qualified) bike mechanic deserve to earn 10% of a lawyer’s salary just because he was not been through tertiary education and only in possession of a trade qualification?

You get what you pay for (I’m general)

All true.

Hindsight is a perfect science.

In retrospect I never checked on this guy at this shop. Is he a skilled (trained and qualified) bike mechanic or just a guy who fixes bikes who works at the shop.

My comment may have been a bit harsh aimed at what could be a nuub, but I think the comments I made should apply to the majority of people.

As bikes become more expensive, we should accept paying more for maintenance as the norm. Not necessarily because components cost more, but because we want to protect our bikes and make sure they perform at a level in line with what we paid for them.

And as this happens, I expect basic bike maintenance in the garage/back yard to become more common. In 16 months in Canada I have learnt to strip my bikes, change bb’s, bearings, getting better at searing tubeless tyres (I got to pay $1.50 to it a pump at a petrol station for a few minutes so even that is an area where I try be efficient with).

I have always worked with tools, so I am decent with them. But stripping and rebuilding a bike takes a lot more time that I expected. If you want a bike shop to do a thorough strip and inspect, you can expect to pay $$$