eSIM

Frosty

Has anyone tried to activate the eSIM through MTN?

I have a few suppliers that have it on their Vodacom contract, and myBB shows that MTN has activated it earlier this month.

The shops don’t know how to do it, and nor does the customer service centre.

Would be nice to have my contract number on eSIM and my PAYG sim being the physical SIM.

I gave it a shot with Vodcaom when they just started, it was a bols*p, same thing they had no clue how it work or how it should work at the shop, I gave up in the end.

Maybe its time to give it another shot now.

The b@ll ache comes in with a credit limit on my account, trying to get it increased and then to activate the service.

It’s supposed to be free, but they charge R169 activation and R24/month for the service. The new billing amount is R124 extra, so someone has their wires crossed. Two shop assistants, 3 different numbers to dial, and about 7 different customer call centre agents later, and I’m still waiting for someone else.

The b@ll ache comes in with a credit limit on my account, trying to get it increased and then to activate the service.

It’s supposed to be free, but they charge R169 activation and R24/month for the service. The new billing amount is R124 extra, so someone has their wires crossed. Two shop assistants, 3 different numbers to dial, and about 7 different customer call centre agents later, and I’m still waiting for someone else.

Eish, that is the quality of service we get in SA, unfortunately !

• 1 month later...

Initiated on 23/12/2020 and I finally got it right today - 49 days, and countless number of different people that I had to speak to.

I now have my contract number (which I only got to upgrade from an iPhone 7 to 11) as the eSIM and my Pre-paid number (which I've had from day 1) as the physical SIM. Works like a bomb. Two number on one device, and I can choose which number to use for outgoing calls, as well as data.

Initiated on 23/12/2020 and I finally got it right today - 49 days, and countless number of different people that I had to speak to.

I now have my contract number (which I only got to upgrade from an iPhone 7 to 11) as the eSIM and my Pre-paid number (which I've had from day 1) as the physical SIM. Works like a bomb. Two number on one device, and I can choose which number to use for outgoing calls, as well as data.

According to MyBB the MTN agents have been a bit better educated about eSIM. They have been able to do it for a while but just didnt really know how!

According to MyBB the MTN agents have been a bit better educated about eSIM. They have been able to do it for a while but just didnt really know how!

A store in Midrand (the north, for me) managed to help me, except for the various blocks on the account (credit limit increase and pending ticket numbers not closed). The customer care (dial 135, and wait) passed me over to technical, who passed me on to Accounts, who passed me to customer care. For the last two weeks, I've been doing work while keeping them on speaker phone.

Three stores close to home (in the south) said the following:

• It only works on an Apple Watch, which I have but is not eSIM capable.
  • It only works on a new contracts, not existing
  • You have to go to a customer care centre (where ever that is).
Edited by Frosty

I gave up on Vodacom esim and just changed from the iPhone to a dual sim Samsung.

Now I get 60GB data a month for R299 as supposed to R99 a gig on a voice sim and the S21 120Hz screen make the iPhone feel outdated so no regrets.