Dual Suspension for Wife

Bundu Ric

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep thanks all, mediums not gonna work need a small, 

Stumbled across a Live embolden 2 27.5” at R19500.00 new, so will check this one out as well and it is a small. 

My wife is on a Liv Lust 27.5 Advance 2, to her it is the best bike ever!

Edited by DJuice

Lady mtb'er here, measuring a whopping 1.6m, riding a small mtb. I much prefer my 27.5 mtb to the 29er I had. The 29er felt too big and clunky. The 27.5 wheel size made a huge difference. Going faster and having more fun. I don't feel like I'm wrestling the bike around like I did with the 29er 

Great to know, will see if I can go check out the Liv this afternoon or tomorrow. 

My wife is on a Liv Lust 27.5 Advance 2, to her it is the best bike ever!

Thanks for this, coming from a lady MTB, my wife is actually 1.58 so this helps a lot now as that Liv is a 27.5 which I was kinda wondering if a 29 er would be better. 

Getting closer to a feasible option! Thanks

Lady mtb'er here, measuring a whopping 1.6m, riding a small mtb. I much prefer my 27.5 mtb to the 29er I had. The 29er felt too big and clunky. The 27.5 wheel size made a huge difference. Going faster and having more fun. I don't feel like I'm wrestling the bike around like I did with the 29er 

Hi all, 

Hope everyone is well and all the best for 2021. 

I am looking at a MTB for the wife, it has taken some convincing but she finally agreed to give it a go. 

Here is the conundrum, I want to get her a dual suspension to make the ride, especially on some gravel better, but I dont want to spend to much if she does not take a liking to biking. 

What I have seen is that I will probably not get a dual suspension for under R24k or am I looking at the wrong shops?

Thanks, 

Have a look at this

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/448725/silverback-stratos-al5-medium-2020-like-new

Yep, we are now sure it should be a small frame, and seeing that it took forever to convince her to get a bike I need to make sure it fit properly and she is comfy.

Definitely a candidate for a small frame. Size is 99% of the riding experience. 

I am looking at a MTB for the wife, it has taken some convincing but she finally agreed to give it a go. 

Here is the conundrum, I want to get her a dual suspension to make the ride, especially on some gravel better, 

You don't say how old she is or how big or what kind of riding you intend for her to do.

You do say she is a reluctant MTB'er who may ride some gravel.

How sure are you that she will take to it?

If you expect to get anything close to your purchase price back from selling the bike, you should not look at a new bike, no matter how good the price is. The depreciation will make it a very expensive lark.

Second, why a Dual Suspension bike if she is going to ride "some gravel" ?

A dual suspension bike at triple  your price range will be heavier that a HT within it. If you want to put someone off riding, get them a heavy bike. With higher volume tyres at the correct pressure, a HT will be more than comfortable enough, even for long days in the saddle on gravel.

If she does take to it and wants to do the kind of cycling that requires a DS, do it then.

Think about it.

Thank you for taking the time in responding with some very good and valid points. 

I am looking 2nd hand now as the chances are there that the bike will become a wall mount, so first going to look at a good 2nd hand option and if she does enjoy it and keep riding will get her a new bike that will suit her riding style and needs. 

Even looking at a comfier saddle to get her going  :devil:

You don't say how old she is or how big or what kind of riding you intend for her to do.

You do say she is a reluctant MTB'er who may ride some gravel.

How sure are you that she will take to it?

If you expect to get anything close to your purchase price back from selling the bike, you should not look at a new bike, no matter how good the price is. The depreciation will make it a very expensive lark.

Second, why a Dual Suspension bike if she is going to ride "some gravel" ?

A dual suspension bike at triple  your price range will be heavier that a HT within it. If you want to put someone off riding, get them a heavy bike. With higher volume tyres at the correct pressure, a HT will be more than comfortable enough, even for long days in the saddle on gravel.

If she does take to it and wants to do the kind of cycling that requires a DS, do it then.

Think about it.

Yep, we are now sure it should be a small frame, and seeing that it took forever to convince her to get a bike I need to make sure it fit properly and she is comfy.

The biggest and most important thing that I've learned from 26 years of riding. 

• The wife/girlfriend dictates the speed, distance, & technicality of the ride. 
  • Take chocolate on the ride
  • Take her for a saddle fitting
  • Buy her the best cycling shorts you can afford 
  • Flat pedals
  • Zero pressure to do things
  • Start on the easiest and flattest possible routes
  • She will have her first crash
  • Be supportive in every little thing she does
  • Congratulate every small achievement
  • Don't show her Redbull Rampage
  • Watch 
    instead

Once she is comfortable with the basic gravel rides you can book her a skills course. It doesn't matter how much you know, you won't be a good teacher and she won't listen to you. A coach is a stranger and to an extent an authority figure. She is more likely to listen.

imho the Liv is your best choice.  The rolling resistance of a 29" over a 27.5" is not that huge and she will probably enjoy a smaller & lighter bike a lot more.