Suspension Setup Guru in Cape Town

Mike Mac

sounds like you have way too much LSC or LSR or both dialled in.

go back to basics. Open everything up to full Open.  

Dial in the sag, make sure the negative chamber is charged correctly. I'm not familiar with the fork and rear shock to that level so check the manual. SOme forks require the pressure in the postive chamber to increased incrementally with the suspension cycled through compression and extension (like the DPS and Nude shocks)

Set the rebound to factory recommended setting and go ride.

Dial in HSRebound,

Then dial in HSC. 

Often the HSR will be tweaked again once the HSC is sorted.

Then start with the LSC. This will change the way the fork feels during pedalling. It may still feel harsh because the LSR is not dialled in yet.

The LSR is there to prevent such a long travel fork from stacking down under low speed pedal induced movement in the suspension. It circumvents the more aggressive HSR rebound tune that works when the fork is more compressed.

Fox says to start with the dials fully closed but this is for the shop floor/garage set up and you'll get lost if the factory recommended settings don't work for you

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much.

I will give that a go with compression completely open and see how we go. I will probably have some more questions as I go along as this is a different approach to using the factory settings as the starting point.

Thank you so much.

I will give that a go with compression completely open and see how we go. I will probably have some more questions as I go along as this is a different approach to using the factory settings as the starting point.

yeah Fox expects the factory settings to be a good starting point but this isn't the case for everyone.

So if those settings don't work they don't explain in the user set up guide how to go about performing a basic set up.

I'm sure that the more #enduro focussed guys will also chime in on their set up experiences

I forgot to mention in above thread that I am experiencing the hooking up more on slow technical inclines while peddling or flat low speed sections rather than on fast downhill sections.

Are you maybe not too deep into your sag?

I recently had to take out all air from my FOX DPS shock to grease pivots. Read the manual on how to add pressure back. Here is what I did and it worked:

Add pressure in 50psi increments. After 50 psi, keep the shock pump attached and slowly compress the shock through 25% sag 10 to 20 times ( I went 15). Add another 50 psi and repeat. This process is repeated until you reach the end sag you like. I went somewhere between 20% and 25%. If you pump it too hard and need to release air, use your shock pump air release and release the air VERY SLOWLY. The compression and slow release of air is to ensure the air is evenly spread in the chambers.

I am just riding at the fox recommended rebound settings.

Please note I am a noob and do not get too technical about the small things when riding. As long as the shock makes my ride smoother and I can land soft after a jump, then I am happy. I also do not experience anything that bothers me from the shock when it comes to handling any terrain.

But as stated, I am a noob and this advice might be totally worthless. Just putting it out there for the small chance that it might help.

I recently had to take out all air from my FOX DPS shock to grease pivots. Read the manual on how to add pressure back. Here is what I did and it worked:

Add pressure in 50psi increments. After 50 psi, keep the shock pump attached and slowly compress the shock through 25% sag 10 to 20 times ( I went 15). Add another 50 psi and repeat. This process is repeated until you reach the end sag you like. I went somewhere between 20% and 25%. If you pump it too hard and need to release air, use your shock pump air release and release the air VERY SLOWLY. The compression and slow release of air is to ensure the air is evenly spread in the chambers.

Please note I am a noob and do not get too technical about the small things when riding. As long as the shock makes my ride smoother and I can land soft after a jump, then I am happy. I also do not experience anything that bothers me from the shock when it comes to handling any terrain.

But as stated, I am a noob and this advice might be totally worthless. Just putting it out there for the small chance that it might help.

on a fox this makes a difference 

Hi

Thanks for that. That is the procedure I have followed when adding air, so I think I have got the chambers balanced. 

the other thing is that 95% of people riding mtb's don't have the skill to feel a good suspension set up.

I fall in that category. 

But I am very keen to learn in order that I can get maximum benefit from the suspension setup. Hence the reason I am here hoping to fast track that learning process with guidance from those who are experts :)   

Are you maybe not too deep into your sag?

I am running 30% sag (230psi) which is on the plush side of things. 

I am running 30% sag (230psi) which is on the plush side of things. 

When I last had a Spaz stumpy I ended up getting a far better ride with slightly less sag.

On my old Banshee, I used to run at 30% sag and it was always a harsh ride ... the one of the Andrew's at stoke said he ran at 25% sag on his one ... once changed the ride was so much more supple and lively. It really transformed the ride.

When I last had a Spaz stumpy I ended up getting a far better ride with slightly less sag.

On my old Banshee, I used to run at 30% sag and it was always a harsh ride ... the one of the Andrew's at stoke said he ran at 25% sag on his one ... once changed the ride was so much more supple and lively. It really transformed the ride.

Deeper into the travel you're running further into the air spring curve so you will feel the ramp up as a more harsh feeling. Your suspension kinematics also plays a big part here.

Often the bike manufacturer will have its own suspension tuning guideline for a Fox vs a RockSHox vs a DVO vs a Manitou etc and it will differ from what the suspension manufacturer recommends for the same unit with the same rider on it so its worthwhile checking the Specialized manual for the bike as well.

Cannondales recommended settings for my DPS differ by 1 rebound click and 15psi in the air spring from the Fox manual

Deeper into the travel you're running further into the air spring curve so you will feel the ramp up as a more harsh feeling. Your suspension kinematics also plays a big part here.

Often the bike manufacturer will have its own suspension tuning guideline for a Fox vs a RockSHox vs a DVO vs a Manitou etc and it will differ from what the suspension manufacturer recommends for the same unit with the same rider on it so its worthwhile checking the Specialized manual for the bike as well.

Cannondales recommended settings for my DPS differ by 1 rebound click and 15psi in the air spring from the Fox manual

Spaz are usually always at 30% recommended sag.

Edited by Hairy

I will play with sag as well and see how that feels. I will need to take it to about 250 psi to get 25% sag.

I checked the Spez recommendations which are 25-30% sag on shock. I will try inceasing pressure to about 250psi and see what that does. 

I initially assumed that the 30% sag would provide a softer more plush ride, but, if I understand you correctly, riding lower in the travel may well result in less mid stroke and therefor ramp up much quicker.