Difficult finding a 1-1/8'' straight steer 27.5'' fork

kallie469

I'm having difficulties finding a 1-1/8'' straight steer 27.5'' fork new or used. Seems to be hens teeth.

Anyone that can possibly assist here? Else I will have to import from the states.

I had the same issue on a build I did many years ago when converting a 26er frame to 650b. I eventually found a lower headset that converted from straight to tapered, it was by far the cheapest route because I got the fork for cheap.
The headset is an EC or external cup headset and will make the bearing sit below the headset though. So you'll have an extra 10mm or so height to deal with, but I was okay with that as it slackened the bike a bit.
I got it on amazon or ebay I think, but google a bit and you'll probably find some:
https://www.bike24.com/p2305300.html
It might be a better solution than buying a crummy fork just because it's all that fits.

*Edit: Also make sure the headtube can actually fit the steerer. Otherwise you may be up a proverbial creek.
The hollower ones usually do.

Edited by RuanLeroy

Straight steerer forks are hen's teeth. Good ones are even more rare.

Your best bet is either a FOX 26er fork or a 29er fork.

If your headtube has a 44mm ID then you can buy the external headset cup as per above. 

There is a straight steerer RS Judy in the classifieds for 2800zar. 29er. A 650b wheel with a big volume tire will fit in there

I recently bought a tapered to straight adapter so I could fit a tapered fork to a straight frame - bought headset from Aliexpress. It will fit a 44 mm internal diameter straight steerer frame. It raises the front about 10 mm. The attached pic is what I bought.

steerer.JPG

44mm is not exactly considered the same as ‘straight’. Yes it’s 44 top and bottom but its decidedly modern stil. They are made to use tapered forks with an external bottom cup or 1-1/8 straight steerer forks with reducers at the bottom cup. 
When someone says ‘straight’ they are refering to the older 1-1/8 headtube frames as in 1-1/8 top and bottom. No headset exists to put a tapered fork in a ‘staight’ headtube in this case.

16 hours ago, Martin PJ said:

Here's the tapered fork in the straight steerer frame.

IMG-20210710-WA0004.jpg

Point and case. Thats not a ‘straight’ head tube. Its s 44mm headtube. Its made to take tapered forks using an zs44/28.6 top and EC44/40 external bottom cup.

This at the bottom is what is refered to when someone says ‘straight’ headtube. its Uses ec34/28.6 ec34/30 headset with a straight steerer fork(1-1/8). Semantics:

2CFF8E4F-03BF-4479-91B8-35B38A2F49DA.jpeg

Edited by MORNE

RBC can replace the steerer for you NDTuned does straight and other replacement streerer.

Not the cheapest, but it can be done

3 hours ago, MORNE said:

Point and case. Thats not a ‘straight’ head tube. Its s 44mm headtube. Its made to take tapered forks using an zs44/28.6 top and EC44/40 external bottom cup.

This at the bottom is what is refered to when someone says ‘straight’ headtube. its Uses ec34/28.6 ec34/30 headset with a straight steerer fork(1-1/8). Semantics:

2CFF8E4F-03BF-4479-91B8-35B38A2F49DA.jpeg

I did say 44 mm in the first post.

16 minutes ago, Martin PJ said:

I did say 44 mm in the first post.

i know..i was just pointing out that the OP is most probably looking for a fork to fit a ec34 headset - colloquially refered to as "straight steerer"  44mm is not considered "straight" as it can take any fork

Edited by MORNE

Reality is Tapered steerers were the norm long before 27.5 forks were ( and 27.5 forks are kinda on their way out as well.....)  

The SUper DIY ND tuned route is really all you got cause I guess out of the forks in the world maybe 0.000009 % are straight 27.5 steerers and I recon there's A 0.000065% chance one or more of them is in RSA 

Edited by BaGearA

6 hours ago, Meezo said:

RBC can replace the steerer for you NDTuned does straight and other replacement streerer.

Not the cheapest, but it can be done

That's good to know. But at that stage I think you just get a new bike