Greg Minnaar wins his 4th World Championship title

News bot

I can't really add to this as I don't know Greg except for a howzit in the family shop but his Dad told me two things:

Greg was a natural from junior mx to bicycle and the first little jaunt on a bike at around 12 he left his Dad (a good MX rider in his day) way behind on a bicycle and took off into the distance. Greg can pedal a motorbike as well; now and then.

Then, he said Greg is very laid back but incredibly precise and particular about bike set up as well as the technical aspects of the track, training etc of anyone he knew.

Aside; Kevin Evans and Brandon Stewart (remember him? he was dating Greg's sister methinks) were in the shop at the time. His Dad was by far the best bike shop owner I have ever dealt with.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would like to read a lekker interview with GM.

Not just racing, but also family life and his bike collection.

Do he have one if those Honda machines? 

13 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Im 40 and having my best years on the trails. Come ride with us!

agreed. I only started MTB at 40 and hit my peak (speed wise) at around 48. 52 now so slowing down a bit for my own safety.

17 hours ago, stefmeister said:

While hardline is gnarly af, I struggle to take it very serious as a competition. A guy like Bernard Kerr's (with 3 or 4 hardline wins) best result at a WC is 5th.

Racing at the very top end is a different game. Some just have, other's get a brief taste of it, and most will never know.

Anyway, I haven't been this happy about someone winning something in a long time. 

I think the hardline guys may have the talent, but not the discipline and mental toughness to perform consistently. Being a world champ or winning consistently takes a lot of work. Maybe the loony hardliners don't have that?

Si interesting to see that the mandatory "Baggies" are not so baggy anymore. Very close to normal cycling gear.