Afrimat Tour de Worcester

bleedToWin

I punctured out of cat1 front pack 41km into the race just after the downhill section following furious attacks up the only section that might be labeled a climb. Team positioned me well for the climb, but I guess mechanicals are a part of bike racing. 
My whole body is sore today after doing a 85km solo time trial to the finish, but I guess that means it was good training.  
Disappointed that we didn't have representation in the winning break that went looong before that climb, but with limited numbers we can't cover every move. Live and learn.

Team race report to follow at some point.

28 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

I punctured out of cat1 front pack 41km into the race just after the downhill section following furious attacks up the only section that might be labeled a climb. Team positioned me well for the climb, but I guess mechanicals are a part of bike racing. 
My whole body is sore today after doing a 85km solo time trial to the finish, but I guess that means it was good training.  
Disappointed that we didn't have representation in the winning break that went looong before that climb, but with limited numbers we can't cover every move. Live and learn.

Team race report to follow at some point.

I'm confused now, I saw Wilco also punctured at 85km but from your race report at the winelands race I understood you were not wilco but a team mate of his ? Did you both puncture or are you the same person ? ????

5 minutes ago, Jbr said:

I'm confused now, I saw Wilco also punctured at 85km but from your race report at the winelands race I understood you were not wilco but a team mate of his ? Did you both puncture or are you the same person ? ????

Haha.

Winelands race report was in third person. I'm Wilco. ????
Punctured at 41km and then Solo'd for 85km yes.

15 minutes ago, babse said:

checked quite of bit of okes punctured yesterday, glass in the road or...? 

Most punctured on the 2.7km gravel section. Dunno what took me out though...

Team VanDM Music race report:

The winning break of the day got away 15kms into the race, with strong headwinds proofing more decisive than the punchy climb at km 30.
Our team's plan was to force a selection right after the first climb since everyone was bound to attack and respond on the climb. With only three riders in the race, it was always going to be a gamble, but we decided to keep Wilco as the protected rider for the first 30km until the climb came, leaving Hanro and Louis to cover moves in the early kilometers. The boys were out of position when the break went. Such is the nature of racing with limited numbers. The move didn’t necessarily contain the danger men we were expecting, so we didn't commit to a chase, but the depth of the teams here in the Western Cape seems to be endless! Every team but us were represented and the gap quickly approached the 1min mark. 

The boys in black and blue were sticking to the plan, although now in slightly modified form. Chaotic riding up the climb was still expected, and from here launching a real chase or bridge attempt with a select group of climbers was a possibility. Hanro and Wilco found themselves in exactly such a group after the climb and decent, but it was at this point that Wilco suffered a puncture. He would eventually get enough air into a tire to finish the route, but the race was done and gone for him. 

Hanro, now isolated in this select group, found it difficult to get the chase going. Many of these riders had representation in the break, and those that didn't were all of the same mind: If we take these boys with us then they outnumber and outgun us. Through surges and attacks and a lack of commitment this group eventually swelled with chasers catching on from behind and formed the main peloton of the day again. Hanro and Louis battled on in this group, surviving some more furious attacking across the 2.7km gravel section and securing 13th and 17th respectively, with Hanro cresting the gravel climb with a broken rear spoke.

Massive thanks to Hanro for guest riding for the team. Looking forward to some possible future racing with this strong youngster!

oMpFR_qf1Ltn5yGf4buoL3bqiTNZ8yn3dtSaNJi6dvQ-1363x2048.jpg.1fb2606924042aea96183c59f43fa1a7.jpgRrNODbulX_sIBubh3BYVU2xPfW9in3UXCH2zkk65MnU-2048x1365.jpg.d7d7aaf4eb691bb217985e0207f68774.jpgprWBgCUIE9JOPHIvhsAszqO6Z0ZqpGSIYCFfSthQmUs-2048x1365.jpg.56017b7001370427478236f8bacdf659.jpg

22 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Is it a team requirement to put your helmut straps OVER your shades?? #AskingForaBikehub 

Haha. I think Hanro has his right?
Mine is like that because I was wearing that thermal cap thing. I need the sunglasses behind my ears.
Not sure what Louis' excuse is...

1 hour ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Is it a team requirement to put your helmut straps OVER your shades?? #AskingForaBikehub 

I've dislodged and scratched a good few pairs of glasses by trying to whip my helmet off with the arms of my shades over them. I know it's a rule but I know what I always take off first after riding (not my sunglasses) so arms on the inside makes sense to me. Officially "flapping helmet straps" is a reason for the rule but I'm guessing its more to do with not obscuring your sunglasses sponsor's logo. 

Rule #37 (proudly sponsored by oakley)

Edited by NickGM

I always break the rule because if I don't when I get home and rip my helmet off my glasses go flying and that's just not good for a person's sang froid