Boland 100 Miler

bleedToWin

Change of route:

BOLAND 100 MILER ROUTE AND VENUE AMENDMENT

Please note that the organisation has had to amend the route for the upcoming Boland 100 Miler due to road works on the Wemmershoek Road between Paarl and Franschhoek. The road works were present last year, but the contractor afforded the event passage. This the contactor believes the road will not constitute a safe riding environment.

The event used this section in the final 25km before turning right towards Du Toits Kloof Pass.

The change makes a finish on top of Du Toits Kloof impossible, hence we have introduced a new route which will finish at the top of Bainskloof Pass.

The venue changes to Café La Vita just outside Wellington on the Bainskloof Pass Road. It’s a beautiful venue perfectly suited to the hosting with ample ablutions and delightful culinary treats available. From the finish on top of the pass it’s a freewheel back to the venue.

The change brings the distance to 150km and the ascent to 1831m.

For the amended event info , CLICK HERE

Date: 22 October 2023
Start: Café La Vita (below Bainskloof Pass), Wellington.
Finish: Top of Bainskloof Pass (Wellington)
Distance: 150km
Route touchpoints:  Wellington | Paardeberg | Malmesbury | Riebeck Kasteel | Hermon | Gouda | Tulbagh | Finish Top of Bainskloof
Vertical ascent: 1831m
Start time: 06h00

This is a bit disappointing as I really wanted to go up Du Toits. Obviously it’s completely out of the organisers hands. I’m probably going to skip this now as I’ve been up Bains so many times now.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

I wonder if this will impact One Tonner, that takes the same road (I think...)

How so ? It's two weeks later ?

And I think one tonner goes over Hels, Bothmans the other (usual) way around, and not at all bain's

3 minutes ago, Jbr said:

How so ? It's two weeks later ?

And I think one tonner goes over Hels, Bothmans the other (usual) way around, and not at all bain's

The note above states the issue is Wemmershoek roadworks (which have been going for over a year).

105k and 170k One Tonner routes go through Wemmershoek (see below)

image.png.438e10c4d495eb1415d2a8fc193e4694.png

Edit: I think I understand your post. I'm not saying Boland will impact OneTonner, I wondering if the same issue Boland encountered will impact OneTonner.

Edited by MongooseMan

1 hour ago, Bub Marley said:

This is a bit disappointing as I really wanted to go up Du Toits. Obviously it’s completely out of the organisers hands. I’m probably going to skip this now as I’ve been up Bains so many times now.

Given that there have been a few previous Du Toits climbs was cut short due to wind, at least this one should actually reach the top (I mean, it kinda has to, otherwise you can't get home 😂)

I personally much prefer Bains as well, such a nice climb (far fewer trucks as well).

Edited by MongooseMan

1 hour ago, MongooseMan said:

Given that there have been a few previous Du Toits climbs was cut short due to wind, at least this one should actually reach the top (I mean, it kinda has to, otherwise you can't get home 😂)

I personally much prefer Bains as well, such a nice climb (far fewer trucks as well).

I mean the road surface on Bains is amazing. So so smooth so in that sense I agree. However I have never been up Du Toits whereas I have been up Bains multiple times from both sides in the past couple of months. So not gonna pay again to do the same thing again.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

So, um, what happened yesterday?

The wind was a bit crazy, so they sent marshals out to drive the course. This meant delaying the start while they waited for feedback. Eventually they decided to shorten the course with the finish back in Wellington. But not at the current start venue. And then there was confusion about where to actually start.

We decided to drive back to Cape Town and ride there (great decision!)

CONFUSION is an understatement….!!!

entries lost …. Race numbers not assigned… and the list goes on… and on

Then the wind got the blame..

The wind was totally rideable, just an additional challenge…

4 hours ago, splat said:

We decided to drive back to Cape Town and ride there (great decision!)

mmmh, I seriously question that, although I also wasn't super excited about the change of plan, at the time we were about to start the race I must admit I was more keen to go do reps up bainskloof.

But in the end if was a fun hard race and everyone I talked to afterwards enjoyed this race. Not at all what the 100miler was planned to be, but still had a great time. Main confusion for us was where the finish was supposed to be (no signage at all, announcement said 110km but in the end it was 97km so it kind of took everyone by surprise)

Edited by Jbr

3 minutes ago, Jbr said:

mmmh, I seriously question that, although I also wasn't super excited about the change of plan, at the time we were about to start the race I must admit I was more keen to go do reps up bainskloof.

But in the end if was a fun hard race and everyone I talked to afterwards enjoyed this race. Not at all what the 100miler was planned to be, but still had a great time. Main confusion for us was where the finish was supposed to be (no signage at all, announcement said 110km but in the end it was 97km so it kind of took everyone by surprise)

reason for the dad on the podium? 😜

Just now, babse said:

reason for the dad on the podium? 😜

hahaha guess we'll never know