Garmin Edge 530 Glitch

Neville Bailey

Yesterday I rode in the Amashova (lots of wind and rain), using my new Garmin Edge 530 to record my race.

Along the way, without any warning, the Garmin decided to shut down and then restarted. It got to the screen where it prompts you to save the ride, but I simply pressed the ride button at the bottom right of the Garmin, and it continued recording as though nothing happened, and nothing was lost except for the minute it took to restart.

I am on the latest firmware.

Anyone else had this experience?

Yes. It has happened on occasion with me to. As a matter of fact, yesterday as well. It was preceded with a consistent “re-connection” of my sensors. 

I also would like the cause and solution. I write it off to Garmin never being perfect on their software side, but I have had Polar and Garmin just gives you so much more functionality and the other brands don’t bother with Discovery. 

2 minutes ago, daniemare said:

It was preceded with a consistent “re-connection” of my sensors.

Now that you mention that, I recall that it was reconnecting to my cadence sensor a few times. I cannot remember whether it was before or after the restart though.

have had this issue with my 520 and 530. its a long standing bug.

i have also constantly fought with sensor drop outs. everything disconnects then reconnects. sometime incorrectly(the radar stops working)

Its part of the reason i moved away from Garmin. the other part being they seem to fail entirely just months out of warranty.

with those 2 units i have had 3x warranty replacements in warranty. and 2x purchasing at a reduced rated due to a failure outside of warranty.

very much over Garmin

52 minutes ago, daniemare said:

Yes. It has happened on occasion with me to. As a matter of fact, yesterday as well. It was preceded with a consistent “re-connection” of my sensors. 

48 minutes ago, Neville Bailey said:

Now that you mention that, I recall that it was reconnecting to my cadence sensor a few times. I cannot remember whether it was before or after the restart though.

you guys get vaccinated recently?

did the Garmin pick you up as a sensor as well? 

1 hour ago, Neville Bailey said:

As a matter of interest, what are you using now?

I would also like to know, I currently have a Polar which doesn't sync with the app anymore and they just tell me to uninstall and re-install the app on the phone and clear the cache. This is annoying as I have to do it every day when I try to sync, so now I just plug it into the laptop. I wanted to get me a 530 but now I wonder

The 530 is really a *** product, my first one was turning off randomly but was impossible to restart. And the GPS feature worked for a month or so, and them it was just searching for a route for ever, but always failing.

My new one (replaced under warranty) works well, except for the GPS that still doesn't work (I tried using the "back to start > most direct route" yesterday which on paper is a great feature... error. Oh and it takes forever to sync most of the time, except this morning it randomly synced in 2 mins for the first time ????

2 hours ago, Neville Bailey said:

As a matter of interest, what are you using now?

I bought a hammerhead karoo 2. it has a warranty twice as long as any other unit available in RSA (2 years). yes its an import, but if anything does go wrong they pay for the shipping to collect and return the unit.

Cost me +-R7600 all in.

https://www.hammerhead.io/

i have only had it for 2 months and i am impressed. yes it is different to garmin. so there is a learning curve.

that said, its basically an android phone powered head unit - and i love gimmicks.

i have side loaded. Zwift Companion, Spotify, Apple Music, Srams App and a few others

i'd say the only downsides to it is that it does not connect to Discovery Vitality - not that that is worth very much these days.

and they have no form of data breakdown or app like Garmin does. as i use golden cheetah and Wko5 this does not worry me at all. strava syncs up perfectly.

1 hour ago, throttles said:

you guys get vaccinated recently?

did the Garmin pick you up as a sensor as well? 

my 5G is so much better since the Vaccine.

Oddly drones appears to deviate towards me since i had the vaccine

Edited by Furbz

• 2 months later...

I used my 530 for a few days of navigation recently. On several occasions, it told me that i needed to do a u-turn instead of a left or right turn. That was quite disconcerting on straight roads into the Karoo.

The Climb Pro was also quite out of sync with the climbs. By several hundred meters some times. More silly than disconcerting. I blamed it on the forest sections interrupting signal.

As mentioned elsewhere, the auto brightness function is useless. That is switched off.

Battery life is good though