Local (RSA) Bicycle Brand & Manufacturers

ChrisEVP

3 hours ago, Rolf Hansen said:

Yes I know. Was not sure what would qualify it as South African.

It was started here?

The head office is here? 

It is manufactured here? 

I am sure bikes like Momsen and Avalanche are not manufactured in South Africa anymore? 

It was founded by a South African, employing German/South Africans. The head office and base of operations have moved to Germany, they do have some presence in Cape Town. 
Silverback has never manufactured here, nor has Avalanche. Momsen have a split tier of manufacturing on their higher end carbon bikes and prototyping. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, thebob said:

Produx from back in the 90's. Made complete full sus MTB including their own fork

might as well include leJeune bundu bashers then.

still the greatest locally named mtb. they were very ***

Axis is another in house entry level brand formed under Probike, before Pb became Scott Sports Africa. Although the product manager/designer are now at Rush Sports and are responsible for the Signal and Apex ranging. 

cSixx components do various parts and wheelsets etc.

South rims "Handgemaak"

PocPac

Sox and Versus both do ranges of styled socks and both have expanded internationally with their offerings. 

Smoove and Squirt lube products, also with and overseas presence. 

7 minutes ago, thebob said:

Produx from back in the 90's. Made complete full sus MTB including their own fork

Also their own rear shock. Had two, the last one with an RST fork. Had to warranty my frame and after a lot of back track ended up moving to a Giant ATX 990.

24 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Also their own rear shock. Had two, the last one with an RST fork. Had to warranty my frame and after a lot of back track ended up moving to a Giant ATX 990.

Yes! Donald did make his own shock. I remember a few owners had some Fox and RS shocks installed as well

1 hour ago, thebob said:

Was looking to find their site hoping they were still doing some small scale roadie bikes, but could find nothing.

Many moons ago when they were still doing their bright yellow duallies, I popped into their workshop unannounced and was very graciously shown around.

I understand they have moved to producing more carbon parts for motorbikes.

3 hours ago, thebob said:

As a teenager in the 90 I desperately wanted of these. I think was called the side winder.

Before Mr Patrick founded Pyga a little custom outfit called Morewood existed. 

I remember his first prototype frames he raced at nationals. I think I recall one that ran a modified fork from an MX bike. 

There was also a small custom outfit called Pnelli that made aero road frames from thermoplastics or fiberglass. 

4 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

Momsen design their own bikes, and while Victor the designer/founder has emigrated, the brand itself is still based in SA.

Silverback moved their base of operation to Germany, they themselves claim "German engineering" 
There's more to a brand than just the geographic nature of manufacture. 

i think "based' is a lose term since they essentially have a distribution presence in SA. Manufacturing was always in Taiwan and PRC The main office is now in Perth, Australia IIRC, but origins are definitely RSA.

Back in the day there was the brothers in Paarl who made bike lights, I think their last name was Williams(?) 

Aerodyne also makes/made carbon rims for Shimano although much of that production has been shifted to Europe, Japan and Taiwan.

Titan Racing is another home grown brand but with offshore manufacture

52 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Before Mr Patrick founded Pyga a little custom outfit called Morewood existed. 

I remember his first prototype frames he raced at nationals. I think I recall one that ran a modified fork from an MX bike. 

There was also a small custom outfit called Pnelli that made aero road frames from thermoplastics or fiberglass. 

Yebo, I still own a Patrick Morewood built Zula frame that I imported into Switzerland and had built up here by a LBS. Excelent frame but the paint quality was not so great.

There was also a brand called Exocet, produced in joburg ( Roodepoort ) by a chap called Dave Freeman. I bought a triathlon frame from him in the last 90’s, tear drop shaped custom made aluminum frame. Was a very stiff frame which reminded me of Cannondale frames from the same era.

9 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Yebo, I still own a Patrick Morewood built Zula frame that I imported into Switzerland and had built up here by a LBS. Excelent frame but the paint quality was not so great.

There was also a brand called Exocet, produced in joburg ( Roodepoort ) by a chap called Dave Freeman. I bought a triathlon frame from him in the last 90’s, tear drop shaped custom made aluminum frame. Was a very stiff frame which reminded me of Cannondale frames from the same era.

They also exploded like the missile they were named after. The Aluminium welding was a bit hit and miss and powdercoat not of the best quality but they did have a unique ride feel

Edited by DieselnDust

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

They also exploded like the missile they were named after. The Aluminium welding was a bit hit and miss and power coat not of the best quality but they did have a unique ride feel

Dave replaced my frame under warranty due to a small crack on the top of the seat tube cap... was not a structural crack only cosmetic. I brought that frame to Switzerland and ended up giving it to a friend of mine here when I became a Spez collector ????

As far as I know it’s now used an IDT bike, although my friend had a life threatening work related accident and does not ride anymore

And then (sorry OP, for not posting current manufacturers) there was Hanson and Alpina...... both of which I had the pleasure of riding their Columbus SLX tubed road bike variants 

Can’t say I never supported SA bike manufacturers ????

Edited by SwissVan