Indoor Trainers and Load Shedding

_David_

With all this load shedding I was wondering if a DC to AC Inverter will power a Smart Trainer?

Anyone here running their Smart Trainer off an inverter.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The smart trainers will have a power adaptor that steps it down from 220VAC to 12VDC, so your inverter would have to have 220V output.
One friend has his whole house on an inverter, so no problem with the trainer. Me, I'm also off grid, but don't have a smart trainer (yet).

I have a 5kW inverter with 4 x 180Ah batteries.  That will easily power my Elite Suito, didn't do it yet but should not be an issue.

Edit:  Alternatively, get a 12V gate motor battery and make up a cable to run it directly from the battery.

Edited by TheoG

I have an Ellies 1440W/2400VA Inverter with 2 x 100Ah lead acid batteries.

Never hooked the trainer up to the inverter but will give it a go tonight.

Edited by _David_

Just now, _David_ said:

I have an Ellies 1440W/2400VA Inverter with 2 x 100Ah lead acid batteries.

Never hooked the trainer up to it but will give it a try tonight.

That will definitely work.

3 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Thanks. 

Was wondering the same. Will my generator power my Wahoo. 

Depend on the power input required by your Wahoo, but I don't see any issues.

1 minute ago, TheoG said:

Depend on the power input required by your Wahoo, but I don't see any issues.

I'd just make sure the gennie has a reliable voltage regulator. not sure how sensitive the electronics are in a trainer? Although I guess the step down transformer of the trainer should take care of this

Just now, ouzo said:

I'd just make sure the gennie has a reliable voltage regulator. not sure how sensitive the electronics are in a trainer? Although I guess the step down transformer of the trainer should take care of this

True, but if the smart trainer have a power supply stepping down from 220V AC to 12V DC, that should not be a problem.

30 minutes ago, TheoG said:

I have a 5kW inverter with 4 x 180Ah batteries.  That will easily power my Elite Suito, didn't do it yet but should not be an issue.

Edit:  Alternatively, get a 12V gate motor battery and make up a cable to run it directly from the battery.

I googled it and it looks like that is how Team Sky used to do it.
clip_image001.jpg

Edited by _David_

9 minutes ago, Frosty said:

The Wahoo power adaptor is rated at 12Vdc / 5A

My Suito is the same.

Edit:  Correction the Elite Suito is 12V, 1.5A.  5A is a high current for such a device, will drain the battery quickly.  Most gate motor batteries is 7Ah, so it will last just over an hour IF its pulling 5A constantly.

Edited by TheoG

18 minutes ago, TheoG said:

My Suito is the same.

Edit:  Correction the Elite Suito is 12V, 1.5A.  5A is a high current for such a device, will drain the battery quickly.  Most gate motor batteries is 7Ah, so it will last just over an hour IF its pulling 5A constantly.

Draining it to close to zero will not give a long life cycle; +/- 200 cycles. Would be better to use a bigger battery, and discharge to 50%.

Just now, Frosty said:

Draining it to close to zero will not give a long life cycle; +/- 200 cycles. Would be better to use a bigger battery, and discharge to 50%.

That's only if it is actually pulling 5A consistently, which I seriously doubt. 

2 minutes ago, TheoG said:

That's only if it is actually pulling 5A consistently, which I seriously doubt. 

Of course.