Which kids bike

Nishapcn

I am getting my little girl a bike for her birthday. It will just be for her to ride in the yard and maybe the park, so I don't want to get something expensive.

I do want it to last a decent amount of time as it is a 16" and as she is quite small, this should last at least 2 years.

I have found the Totem Princess and an Avalanche Zoid in our area. Which would be better for our purposes? Or is there any other in that price range (under R2000) that I should be looking for in the Durban area?

Thanks for any advise.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, so i think both bikes can work...in my experience the Titan bikes are great - good value for money and good quality bikes. You can definitely pick up a used bike for 2-3K...

New or second hand ?

I helped a friend to restore a Totem they got for a "good deal" .... uhm ja .... it was never maintained and needed a new BB and couple of other items ....

TITAN has our vote as the best value for money kids bikes :thumbup:

TOTEM is okay, as long as you do a strip down and proper assembly .... our 5 year old TOTEM is still going strong (20")

MOMSEN has some of the best in 24" .... but they grow through it too fast .....

My girls have Avalanche bikes (Sportsmans Warehouse) and they ride almost everywhere. Similarly priced as the Titan.

If she is quite small a 14 inch might be better. Just bought my son a 14 inch and he’s 3.5yrs old. Quite big for his age though. 
We went with the Avalanche because is didn’t have pedal back rear brakes. He’s already doing skids 😂

7 hours ago, Dadbod Racing said:

Isn't Totem and Titan 2 different bikes? Yes Titan is great, Totem in my experience not so much. 

TOTEM is the Makro bike.  This was Maritz's first 20" bike..... was not going spend money until we knew he was actually going to cycle .... I took it home and stripped it down.  Greased and assembled it properly.  The bike is still in very good nick.

TITAN is in a different price class, and a VERY good bike.   

11 hours ago, JulienR said:

Hi, so i think both bikes can work...in my experience the Titan bikes are great - good value for money and good quality bikes. You can definitely pick up a used bike for 2-3K...

In that section don't look further than Titan. 

image.png.7866e00e5aa686c8865641e97600731c.png

21 hours ago, Nishapcn said:

I am getting my little girl a bike for her birthday. It will just be for her to ride in the yard and maybe the park, so I don't want to get something expensive.

I do want it to last a decent amount of time as it is a 16" and as she is quite small, this should last at least 2 years.

I have found the Totem Princess and an Avalanche Zoid in our area. Which would be better for our purposes? Or is there any other in that price range (under R2000) that I should be looking for in the Durban area?

Thanks for any advise.

Nee come on - you have to get the R25,000 carbon Specialized one. Because children really remember that sort of thing and who cares about the homeless digging in the garbage bins when she rides in the front yard, scraping against the water fountain on her carbon Spez.

1 minute ago, M L said:

Nee come on - you have to get the R25,000 carbon Specialized one. Because children really remember that sort of thing and who cares about the homeless digging in the garbage bins when she rides in the front yard, scraping against the water fountain on her carbon Spez.

Don't mind me, I'm just trying to stir.

48 minutes ago, Richard tiplady said:

Stay away from Makro bikes. Kids first bikes are there foundation try buy second hand and I agree Titan not Totem.

Makro is only good for detergents 

13 hours ago, ChrisF said:

TOTEM is the Makro bike.  This was Maritz's first 20" bike..... was not going spend money until we knew he was actually going to cycle .... I took it home and stripped it down.  Greased and assembled it properly.  The bike is still in very good nick.

TITAN is in a different price class, and a VERY good bike.   

True story, I'm on the look out for two Titan 24" 

My girls have ridden their Totems for more than two years now and really do enjoy cycling so they deserve an upgrade.