Fork offset. 44mm vs 51mm and does it really matter.

Steady Spin

7 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Read the article I posted above, Long offset makes the bike steer quicker, short offsets make it more stable

Yes, longer offset will increase the wheelbase, but it decreases the trail, which has a greater effect on the steering than the wheelbase does

I'm just talking from experience (on a few bikes now), no article is going to change that... Although I am not disagreeing with the article, a longer offset it will make steering inputs feel quicker, and shorter will be more stable. But, when you are trying to get a longer wheelbase around a tight, slow corner it is going to go around it sluggishly and with more effort. It's not a simple as X does Y, etc... My experience is, a long slack bike with a long offset fork has sluggish handling when you are going slower, and it is hard to weight the front wheel around corners. 

Anyway, my experience is just that - my experience. 

Either way, I would build a frame with the fork offset it's intended to be built with. It's one of the few changes where I could immediately tell a difference on the trails. 

Edited by Grease_Monkey

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, droo said:

You don't necessarily need a new fork, just a new CSU. Still not cheap, but better.

Ballpark on Fox 34s? In this case the Rhythm from around 2019. 

53 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Ballpark on Fox 34s? In this case the Rhythm from around 2019. 

About 3.5 - 4k for the part, if we can find one... waiting to see if the agents are getting more in anytime soon.

A 34 at 150mm is going to be quite the noodle, though if all the bike is seeing is Big Red Barn then it shouldn't matter

45 minutes ago, thebob said:

A 34 at 150mm is going to be quite the noodle, though if all the bike is seeing is Big Red Barn then it shouldn't matter

Rider weighs less than 60kg so it should be fine. 

We do ride Red Barn a lot but also Wolwespruit, Grootfontein, Karkloof etc when time allows. 

Confirmed that the Druid can be run with a 51mm offset.

As they put it "We recommend a 44mm [for Fox] or a 42mm [for RockShox] fork offset as that is what we believe will best suit most riders and trail scenarios. We have tested the Druid with a 51mm offset too, which works great if you prefer a lively steering feel."

4 hours ago, thebob said:

A Rhythm is a beefier animal than a standard 34. Not quite a 36, but it can be run at 150 with minimal issues. Came standard on some of the previous-gen Stumpjumpers in that configuration.

32 minutes ago, droo said:

A Rhythm is a beefier animal than a standard 34. Not quite a 36, but it can be run at 150 with minimal issues. Came standard on some of the previous-gen Stumpjumpers in that configuration.

Could only find a 140mm kit for it though. 

Any chance you can get hold of a 150mm? ID is DHHW

15 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Could only find a 140mm kit for it though. 

Any chance you can get hold of a 150mm? ID is DHHW

Rare as rocking horse turds, but they do exist. I may be able to find one, will let you know.

That is the one. Shipping is via DHL to SA and then via SAPO. I've not had any issues with this method and actually had Post Office vans arrive at my doorstep with the parts. Only pain is not having cash on hand an either having to run to an ATM or getting them to leave it at my nearest PO

Sorry for jumping in here.

I've got a 2017 34 Performance Elite set at 130mm and I'd like to go 140 or 150.

Will it use the same cartridge as above?

Will it handle 150mm?

1 hour ago, thebob said:

That is the one. Shipping is via DHL to SA and then via SAPO. I've not had any issues with this method and actually had Post Office vans arrive at my doorstep with the parts. Only pain is not having cash on hand an either having to run to an ATM or getting them to leave it at my nearest PO

Good to know. 

I think I'll ship it to Postbox Courier and bring it in that way. SAPO is definitely not an option for me. 

16 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Good to know. 

I think I'll ship it to Postbox Courier and bring it in that way. SAPO is definitely not an option for me. 

Used SAPO twice again last year without any issues.

Maybe I've just been fortunate over the last 10 years using them for stuff from the overseas land.

48 minutes ago, Thermophage said:

Used SAPO twice again last year without any issues.

Maybe I've just been fortunate over the last 10 years using them for stuff from the overseas land.

Also never not received my stuff with SAPO, but I have had to wait 4 months for some items though...