Fork offset. 44mm vs 51mm and does it really matter.

Steady Spin

4 minutes ago, eala said:

The offset effects the SIZE of the trail area and the virtual angle to the ground and that effects the turning acuteness .The wheelbase may extend slightly but that is not the reason for offset . 

I know why offset affects trail and stability, this was not the point of my answer. You said trail doesn't affect wheelbase. It does.

Stick to your original argument, or word it properly, rather than telling everyone else they're wrong.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, droo said:

I know why offset affects trail and stability, this was not the point of my answer. You said trail doesn't affect wheelbase. It does.

Stick to your original argument, or word it properly, rather than telling everyone else they're wrong.

Also, NEVER argue with Droo about anything suspension related, he will be right, its just how it is.

No amount of reading on the internet can replace professional experience.

1 hour ago, Rocket-Boy said:

Also, NEVER argue with Droo about anything suspension related, he will be right, its just how it is.

I don't mind being that guy...😊

technically this is geometry related and has nothing to do with suspension other than the fact that some bicycles have a suspension fork in the front. Trail is an 'adjustable' setting on rigid bikes too via different offset forks...especially touring bikes that have racks and get loaded on the front. Different trail forks make it easier to handle riding fully loaded. 

🙃🤗

1 hour ago, Rocket-Boy said:

Argue away, an opinion is nothing if it can't be backed up.

38 minutes ago, MORNE said:

I don't mind being that guy...😊

technically this is geometry related and has nothing to do with suspension other than the fact that some bicycles have a suspension fork in the front. Trail is an 'adjustable' setting on rigid bikes too via different offset forks...especially touring bikes that have racks and get loaded on the front. Different trail forks make it easier to handle riding fully loaded. 

🙃🤗

This is true. I know less about geo than I do about suspension, but it's still not nothing.

(I do have 2 friends who are frame designers though, so at least I have someone to ask)

Edited by droo
Added stuff

On 2/3/2022 at 11:50 AM, eala said:

Before 29 wheels all forks had the same offset 

Must have been a real a-ha moment when they decided to have different offsets for other wheel sizes too 😁