Steel MTB 29er hardtail

GMAN79

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Hairy said:

So following our last discussion a few days ago, have you cleared out the youngsters study fund for the new Rapide build yet?

ssshhhhh

Not yet. Maybe next week

I know I'm a little biased :P  but steel changed the way I ride bikes. Honestly so great to just sit back and enjoy the ride, push yourself and not race others, and just feel how smooth the ride feels.

My plan is to pick up a black rapide frame as soon as I'm settled again and build up an enduro monster. Talking fox 36, 35mm wheels, the whole lot. Seriously a beautiful bike!

Edited by Nic Brigando

So my Rapide' was stolen, and the general parts availability plus pricing of new bits and pieces plus  time to get back in the saddle led me to buy a used full sus plastic bike as opposed to rebuilding what I had.

When the time is right (shall I say when the budget allows), I will build another Rapide' but in a bit of a different guise.  My last one had 140mm fork, big wheels, big tyres and took a lot of effort to pedal uphill, but was a blast on the downhills.  My next one will likely be rigid and SS.

6 hours ago, Stretched@Birth said:

So my Rapide' was stolen, and the general parts availability plus pricing of new bits and pieces plus  time to get back in the saddle led me to buy a used full sus plastic bike as opposed to rebuilding what I had.

When the time is right (shall I say when the budget allows), I will build another Rapide' but in a bit of a different guise.  My last one had 140mm fork, big wheels, big tyres and took a lot of effort to pedal uphill, but was a blast on the downhills.  My next one will likely be rigid and SS.

Mine is a race machine.  2.4 tyres, front and rear, on  30mm ID rims, 100mm travel Reba and some other cheapish parts. Nothing fancy.

Love the Rapide.

Edited by Super Sywurm
Spelling

I am very keen to build a SS. The Rapide frames are on special at the moment too (bonus). How much do you reckon will it cost to complete the bike, if one uses a combination of new and used parts?

4 hours ago, GMAN79 said:

I am very keen to build a SS. The Rapide frames are on special at the moment too (bonus). How much do you reckon will it cost to complete the bike, if one uses a combination of new and used parts?

That's a very open question.  What I can say though is that when mine (which was geared) was stolen I put together a list for the insurance with like for like replacement, it ended up just over R57000-00.  I had built mine up over time, with a combination of new and used bits, and in my mind the number was around R35000-00.  Was a bit of a mix of bits and pieces, but was not a "high end" build.

What became very clear through the exercise is that it is definitely cheaper to buy a complete bike than to build.  What it also made me realise is that I should never have sold my Ritchey SS, especially not for the price I sold it for #sellersremorse.

1 hour ago, Stretched@Birth said:

That's a very open question.  What I can say though is that when mine (which was geared) was stolen I put together a list for the insurance with like for like replacement, it ended up just over R57000-00.  I had built mine up over time, with a combination of new and used bits, and in my mind the number was around R35000-00.  Was a bit of a mix of bits and pieces, but was not a "high end" build.

What became very clear through the exercise is that it is definitely cheaper to buy a complete bike than to build.  What it also made me realise is that I should never have sold my Ritchey SS, especially not for the price I sold it for #sellersremorse.

I guess it's a matter of how long is a piece of string. 🙂

I know I could buy the frame/fork bundle and build the rest without spending a cent...... 

But if you had to buy everything I'd say from the classifieds here and what is available;

Wheels - 4k

Fork (120mm boost reba) - 4500

Tires - 1k

Brakes - 2k

cranks/chainring - 1500

sprocket plus spacers - 300

If you want geared add an extra 3 to 5k depending on your speeds

3 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I know I could buy the frame/fork bundle and build the rest without spending a cent...... 

But if you had to buy everything I'd say from the classifieds here and what is available;

Wheels - 4k

Tires - 1k

Brakes - 2k

cranks/chainring - 1500

Thanks, this does give me a rough idea. Now just pulling the trigger!

32 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Wheels - 4k

Tires - 1k

Brakes - 2k

cranks/chainring - 1500

Plus all of the other bits and pieces that we tend to forget about. 

Bar and stem - 830

Grips - 230

Saddle and post - 1039

BB - 440

Tubeless valves - 210

Rim tape - 120

Sealant - 120

Brake rotors - 360

Another R3500 odd here, based on Rapide' pricing and my insurance quote.  I still cant get over the price for tubeless valves!  

1 minute ago, Stretched@Birth said:

Plus all of the other bits and pieces that we tend to forget about. 

Bar and stem - 830

Grips - 230

Saddle and post - 1039

BB - 440

Tubeless valves - 210

Rim tape - 120

Sealant - 120

Brake rotors - 360

Another R3500 odd here, based on Rapide' pricing and my insurance quote.  I still cant get over the price for tubeless valves!  

I take for granted that people have that stuff lying around! hahaha

Bikes are so expensive. It's nuts. 

The steel chassis rigid/120mm fork SS is where I'm headed again. Replace some headset bearings and a BB every now and then and do a lowers service once in a while.

The end

I had to buy a replacement thru axle for my front wheel… just spent R1275, and that’s not even the original Fox thru axle.

+/- R1500 for the Fox version.