Steel MTB 29er hardtail

GMAN79

16 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I take for granted that people have that stuff lying around! hahaha

Bikes are so expensive. It's nuts. 

The steel chassis rigid/120mm fork SS is where I'm headed again. Replace some headset bearings and a BB every now and then and do a lowers service once in a while.

The end

Reading between the lines, I think you have a lot of "stuff" at your disposal to build all kinds of 2 wheeled contraptions.  I have a some bits and pieces, have dumped a lot in the last while since my wife took over my garage for her work from home business.  With all the "standards" that have changed in the past few years, a lot of the bits became obsolete.

I have a need for a rigid steel SS again, but my youngster has suddenly taken a proper interest in riding, and his bike (built up out of a lot of bits and pieces) is soon going to be too small for him, so bike funds need to be channeled differently. 

His bike will go to his younger brother, and when he outgrows it, so at least I can recycle.   

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Stretched@Birth said:

To get the thread back to the point, a pic of my bike that was removed from my garage...!

Rapide_Tigre.jpeg.cc83859186083d676c2b4ce0ddbce84e.jpeg

As an owner of both a Ritchey and Rapide, how would you compare the feel on each? Could you tell the difference? 

I can, on my road bikes?

15 minutes ago, Stretched@Birth said:

Reading between the lines, I think you have a lot of "stuff" at your disposal to build all kinds of 2 wheeled contraptions.  I have a some bits and pieces, have dumped a lot in the last while since my wife took over my garage for her work from home business.  With all the "standards" that have changed in the past few years, a lot of the bits became obsolete.

I have a need for a rigid steel SS again, but my youngster has suddenly taken a proper interest in riding, and his bike (built up out of a lot of bits and pieces) is soon going to be too small for him, so bike funds need to be channeled differently. 

His bike will go to his younger brother, and when he outgrows it, so at least I can recycle.   

I have also cleaned house very dramatically in the last 2 years. Being forced to stay home made cleaning out the bike room a task I could put off no longer. 

Projects were shelved and given away, frames/parts etc sold off or built up into commuters for staff and their families.

I've been playing with carbon fibre and am currently in the process of making my own frames using existing bits. It's pretty fun.

Hoping they don't just fall apart and smash my face off when I'm done!

One project is also for the kid. I'm hoping it works and he can enjoy dads labour of love for a number of years. I love building things and transferring skills, so once the plastic bikes are done it will be TIG welding some tubing together.

Until then the Rapide frame looks like the ideal platform to play with. Modern standards, progressive geo and locally supported. The dream

I'm so sorry your was stolen. When my SIR9 was taken from me I was gutted

1 hour ago, Stretched@Birth said:

To get the thread back to the point, a pic of my bike that was removed from my garage...!

Rapide_Tigre.jpeg.cc83859186083d676c2b4ce0ddbce84e.jpeg

It needs a set of gum grips but aside from that it is potentially the most beautiful MTB in existence.

22 minutes ago, Rolf Hansen said:

It needs a set of gum grips but aside from that it is potentially the most beautiful MTB in existence.

Thanks, gum grips were on the list of things to do, it also got a dropper after the pic was taken, and then it was stolen...! 😢

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

As an owner of both a Ritchey and Rapide, how would you compare the feel on each? Could you tell the difference? 

I can, on my road bikes?

A little difficult to tell the difference, as they are very different bikes, the Ritchey being rigid and not quite as low, long and slack.  The Rapide was also built as a burly, steam roller with wide rims and 2.6 tyres.  Having said that, there is magic in the Ritchey frame, when I built it, I built the parts over from my On One Inbred, which had similar geometry, the Ritchey was on a different level, a lot more comfortable and handled the rough stuff a lot better.  The Rapide, pointing downhill, I could bulldoze over rocks and roots, I often said it felt like I was holding the bike back, scared to just trust it and let it go!

On 2/7/2022 at 10:24 PM, Hairy said:

That red is sexy!

Was never a fan of red bikes but this one looks great. I’ve been toying with getting one of these frames since launch but I somehow battle with the color options - black would probably be first choice at this stage but it would be a case of the lesser of the evils for me. 

13 hours ago, TYGA said:

Was never a fan of red bikes but this one looks great. I’ve been toying with getting one of these frames since launch but I somehow battle with the color options - black would probably be first choice at this stage but it would be a case of the lesser of the evils for me. 

I was in the same boat, could not choose. So I told Wayne when I ordered mine, surprise me with a colour, except the black.  My previous bike was black .

20 hours ago, TYGA said:

7 hours ago, Super Sywurm said:

I was in the same boat, could not choose. So I told Wayne when I ordered mine, surprise me with a colour, except the black.  My previous bike was black .

You need to see them in the flesh, the red has a candy apple type of look to it, and the white has a fine pearl effect.  The black is a bit flat for my liking, it looks like it has been washed with degreaser and lost its lustre.

33 minutes ago, Stretched@Birth said:

You need to see them in the flesh, the red has a candy apple type of look to it, and the white has a fine pearl effect.  The black is a bit flat for my liking, it looks like it has been washed with degreaser and lost its lustre.

I like the red and white equally.

11 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Red = Faster

Philistines 😤

According to Google:

While red may not physically go faster, it certainly is perceived to, with a global study on colour associations finding that an overwhelming 76% found red the colour most associated with speed.

• 1 month later...

So I have built 2 Tigre hardtails and going to re-build a third one on a black frame by the end of the month.

I can really say Steel is the way to go! it does absorb the bumps more than your aluminium hardtail frames. and these aggressive geometry frames inspires confidence when going downhill

IMG_4498.jpg

Tigre 4.jpg