Wahoo rolls out new KICKR ROLLR smart trainer

Bike Hub Features

Choosing between the natural ride feel of rollers and the performance advantages of a smart trainer just got easier. Today Wahoo announced the release of the KICKR ROLLR smart trainer, boasting a dual roller-based design and an impressive set of features that make it a compelling indoor training option for those who want the convenience […]

View full article

Very Cool. Been waiting for a company like Wahoo to do a Smart Roller Trainer.

Looking forward to the real-world feedback on these.

What is the point?

I use Elite Smart Rollers. One of the huge benefits is that it forces you activate your core and improve your pedal stroke. 

This is the same as clipping your bike into a conventional Kickr.

Once I switched to full rollers my pedal stroke improved dramatically.  

1 hour ago, Vetplant said:

Very Cool. Been waiting for a company like Wahoo to do a Smart Roller Trainer.

Looking forward to the real-world feedback on these.

Elite has one for two years already 

21 hours ago, shaper said:

After watching this review and the one from the Lama Lab, I'm a little bit "meh".

Price point needed to be lower to really make sense for many people. The bouncing that DCRainmaker experienced after sprints is concerning.

Personally, I'd still go with a Kickr with an old 26er mounter permanently to the trainer.

21 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

After watching this review and the one from the Lama Lab, I'm a little bit "meh".

Price point needed to be lower to really make sense for many people. The bouncing that DCRainmaker experienced after sprints is concerning.

Personally, I'd still go with a Kickr with an old 26er mounter permanently to the trainer.

This is no different to being on a fluid trainer and having a power meter.... and much cheaper!!

am I the only one feeling like they completely missed the entire point with these "rollers" you can just as well buy the snap because it is cheaper and gives power. Your front wheel is still stuck in one place and the whole idea of traditional rollers is that you balance and use your core etc. If im missing the point then please inform me

15 hours ago, avatar said:

am I the only one feeling like they completely missed the entire point with these "rollers" you can just as well buy the snap because it is cheaper and gives power. Your front wheel is still stuck in one place and the whole idea of traditional rollers is that you balance and use your core etc. If im missing the point then please inform me

I think their target market is someone with a power meter that is looking for a smart trainer that does not require removing wheels and only takes a few seconds to fit or remove the complete bike. Great idea, but definitely overpriced seeing that it does not supply power. Also, a snap + plus cheap trainer bike will most likely cost the same.

17 hours ago, avatar said:

Its still a roller that can connect to your PM and headunit at a race as a warmup tool. It has the advantage of supporting a rider who is not comfortable with using a roller unaided. The big fail is that it does not appear to have a motor generator unit so to produce resistance it needs to be plugged in.

Its probably ideal for someone who only wants one trainer that can be used at an event as a warmup tool and as a smart trainer at home which is what the Tacx Neo achieves with its motor generator unit.

another miss is its not MTB compatible :(

Edited by DieselnDust

31 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Its still a roller that can connect to your PM and headunit at a race as a warmup tool. It has the advantage of supporting a rider who is not comfortable with using a roller unaided. The big fail is that it does not appear to have a motor generator unit so to produce resistance it needs to be plugged in.

Its probably ideal for someone who only wants one trainer that can be used at an event as a warmup tool and as a smart trainer at home which is what the Tacx Neo achieves with its motor generator unit.

another miss is its not MTB compatible :(

The unit apparently can’t fold up nice and compact so even travelling with it, will be a challenge.

On 2/24/2022 at 9:50 AM, DieselnDust said:

Its probably ideal for someone who only wants one trainer that can be used at an event as a warmup tool 

There are bigger problems if you're THAT serious a cyclist that you need a set of rollers at an event but you're not comfortable on a set of conventional rollers

6 hours ago, Andreas_187 said:

There are bigger problems if you're THAT serious a cyclist that you need a set of rollers at an event but you're not comfortable on a set of conventional rollers

It takes all types lol